Windows 10: Need help fixing keyboard Windows shortcuts on laptop

Discus and support Need help fixing keyboard Windows shortcuts on laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got this Windows 10 laptop at work to use at the workplace, but it does some strange things when pressing shortcuts that are supposed to do other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Milennin, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Milennin Win User

Need help fixing keyboard Windows shortcuts on laptop

I got this Windows 10 laptop at work to use at the workplace, but it does some strange things when pressing shortcuts that are supposed to do other things. edit: never mind, figured out this part, still need help with the next.
    Since this is a laptop, there's also a bunch of things bound to the F keys, and this is also a problem. When I want to use F2 to rename a file, it lowers screen brightness instead. Any way to change these things to normal?

:)

Milennin, Jul 10, 2016

2. BSOD NEED HELP FIXING LAPTOP (driver overran stack buffer)

BTW I meant to tell you this :

Turn off Fast Startup

Start - Settings - System - Power & Sleep - on far right "Additional Power Options" - Choose what the power buttons do - "Change settings that are currently unavailable" - untick "Turn on fast startup" - Save changes.

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 10, 2016
  3. BSOD NEED HELP FIXING LAPTOP (driver overran stack buffer)

link to dmp file

Public

derrickgraham, Jul 10, 2016
  4. Need help fixing keyboard Windows shortcuts on laptop

On my laptop I have to press and hold the Fn/function key and then press the F key to adjust volume, screen brightness etc. If I don't press the Fn key they do their normal function. It sounds like your laptop has a toggle function for those keys. Kind of like caps lock of num lock but for the FN key. I wish mine did that. If yes, the manual should tell you how to turn it off and or make the default off.

alphanumeric, Jul 10, 2016
  5. Milennin Win User
    I see. Mine is the opposite. I have to hold the Fn key to make the normal functions work using the F keys.

Milennin, Jul 10, 2016
  6. Hopefully there is a way to toggle it the other way. BIOS setting maybe?

alphanumeric, Jul 10, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    It would be most helpful to know the make and model# of your laptop?

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Need help fixing keyboard Windows shortcuts on laptop

1. Need help fixing keyboard Windows shortcuts on laptop - Similar Threads - Need help fixing

2. My keyboard shortcuts don't work. Need help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard shortcuts don't work. Need help.: No matter how hard I try, any of the keyboard shortcuts do nothing. Even like ALT+F4 as an example. That doesn't close a app or program on my PC. This goes for all of the keyboard shortcuts....
  3. My keyboard shortcuts don't work. Need help.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard shortcuts don't work. Need help.: No matter how hard I try, any of the keyboard shortcuts do nothing. Even like ALT+F4 as an example. That doesn't close a app or program on my PC. This goes for all of the keyboard shortcuts....
  4. Need help fixing my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help fixing my laptop: I have a windows 8 Toshiba laptop I haven’t used in years. I haven’t been able to use it because it always says “ Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for-you.” they it go to auto repair and it’s just a...
  5. Need help fixing my laptop

Need help fixing my laptop: I have a windows 8 Toshiba laptop I haven’t used in years. I haven’t been able to use it because it always says “ Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for-you.” they it go to auto repair and it’s just a...
  6. FIXED! Windows 11 keyboard shortcuts make MSI keyboard shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIXED! Windows 11 keyboard shortcuts make MSI keyboard shortcuts not working: Hello! I have a laptop MSI gf63 thin, by design I have some very very useful shortcuts to turn on the camera FN+F6 the only way to do it, brightness arrows, volume arrows, the keyboard lights, etc.Since I updated to Windows 11, the old shortcuts are not working anymore...
  7. FIXED! Windows 11 keyboard shortcuts make MSI keyboard shortcuts not working

FIXED! Windows 11 keyboard shortcuts make MSI keyboard shortcuts not working: Hello! I have a laptop MSI gf63 thin, by design I have some very very useful shortcuts to turn on the camera FN+F6 the only way to do it, brightness arrows, volume arrows, the keyboard lights, etc.Since I updated to Windows 11, the old shortcuts are not working anymore...
  8. Need help with my Laptop's Keyboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with my Laptop's Keyboard: Hi Guys. Im having trouble with my Windows laptop. For some strange reason the keyboard has gone crazy and its driving me crazy. After like 30 mins of turning it on, it strangely locks the shift key (like I was pressing it all the time) and it starts to invert all the...
  9. Keyboard Shortcut Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcut Help: I was in the middle of typing and ended up hitting some wrong keys. I got these popup panels with my computer performance on them among other things (Happened to fast I can't remember). Definitely not the average task manager view. These panels were gray in my case. Not sure...
  10. Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop: All my Shortcuts have now appeared in a Desktop file. I want them back on my Desktop Screen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 71579