Windows 10: Need help fixing system files

Discus and support Need help fixing system files in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hoping someone can help me. My ASUS laptop with Windows 10 Home will not update to the Anniversary Update ver. 1607. I tried running the System File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by twhedbee, Sep 3, 2016.

1. twhedbee Win User

Need help fixing system files

Hoping someone can help me. My ASUS laptop with Windows 10 Home will not update to the Anniversary Update ver. 1607. I tried running the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) but received an error message saying SFC could not fix the problemCBS.logDISM.logDISMprevious.log--Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I next tried DISM. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth -- and /ScanHealth and /RestoreHealth -- all returned "Initialization Error." (And previous attempts with DISM returned other errors as well.) I have run CHKDSK and the Event Viewer reports no problems. Finally, I decided to try a Repair Install with an in-place upgrade. I downloaded the Win 10 ISO from the Microsoft site, but when I tried to mount the image, I got another error, something like "The image could not be mounted." The default program for .iso files is set to Windows Explorer.

I'm stuck and would appreciate any help. I have attached the most recent CBS.log and DISM.log along with some earlier versions of both. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tom Whedbee

:)

twhedbee, Sep 3, 2016
  2. Johnbk34 Win User

Need help fixing high "System" CPU usage when downloading things from Steam and Battlenet

This never used to happen until a couple of months ago. Whenever Steam, or Battlenet are downloading something, my computer starts to lag really bad. I go into task manager, and 75-100% of my CPU is being used, most of which is coming from the app the
    is downloading something (Steam, or Battlenet), and 'System'. It took me forever to find a solution for this problem for the Steam problem, but I eventually did find a solution, it requires me to go command prompt, and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false",
    and then restart my computer. It totally fixes the problem on Steam... But only temporarily. It seems to reset back after a few days (or a few restarts), and then I have to do the process over again. Is there a permanent way to fix this problem? Like make
    the "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" last forever, instead of just resetting after a few restarts? Also, it that solution doesn't seem to work as good for Battlenet as it does Steam. Please help!

Johnbk34, Sep 3, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Need help fixing high "System" CPU usage when downloading things from Steam and Battlenet

I was wondering why my Steam Client had been lagging so badly (even reinstalled it) when on line, but I don't do much in the Steam Client,
    and generally run games off line, so I haven't bothered with looking for a fix.

[ EDIT: Oops! Spoke waaay too soon. I closed Steam and it's back to dragging it's heals on re-opening

(used the command disable in Windows, and also disabled in BIOS, so it is well and truly off ). On my machine Steam is

hardly using any cpu though. Just another in a long list of Steam running badly stories... ]

I enabled HPET somewhere along the line as a test and forgot about it... Disabled HPET - Steam Client, Fixed!

- HPET (High Precession Event Timer) is one of those functions that can either improve, or stuff up performance,

depending on the software in question. Apparently cpu heavy software is most likely to be affected.

- With some machines you have to disable HPET in BIOS (location varies between BIOS). Sometimes in both BIOS, and
    Windows (with the command you used).

Apparently some newer BIOS don't have an option to disable/enable HPET.

- If you run - bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock - and get an error about
    element not found, then HPET

is supposed to be disabled in the OS.

- I don't know the details how to write a batch ( .bat ) file, but you could do one for bcdedit /set uesplatformclock false, and one for true.

A batch file would offer a quick way to re-set to off in Windows if it persists in turning on.

- I've never used Battlenet, but if you don't get a fix from someone on this thread, you may find someone on a Battlenet specific forum

may have another reason for it lagging.

[EDIT: I have to delete the Web Browser cache each time I go on line for the Store and re-start Steam. When I re-start

the option for multi-level authentication pops up. I can't use this because I don't have a mobile/cell phone.

I reckon this may be what is causing my Steam running like mush when on line issue, as once I am able to enter the Steam Store the

Steam Client runs smoothly ]

BossDweeb, Sep 3, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

"I decided to try a Repair Install with an in-place upgrade. I downloaded the Win 10 ISO from the Microsoft site, but when I tried to mount the image, I got another error, something like "The image could not be mounted." The default program for .iso files is set to Windows Explorer."

Did you have a 3rd party program, at one time, to mount or burn ISO images ? Check this registry setting (Win+R/regedit) - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso\OpenWithProgids
    The correct association should be - Windows.IsoFile {see screenshot below}

Need help fixing system files [​IMG]

If not, r-click .iso/Export (to desktop) to backup. Download registry fix file here - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/isofix.zip , unzip and r-click merge with your registry to repair. Check registry entry and try to mount the ISO (it's the Anniv ISO if downloaded within last month) and do an in install by R-click ISO/Mount/setup.exe Anniv install can take between 1.5-2 hrs, so be patient and don't interrupt the process. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2016
  5. twhedbee Win User
    Thanks, mrgeek. It looked like my registry had the default .iso association, but I download and ran the .reg file anyway. Still no luck; error says "Couldn't mount file. The was a problem mounting the .iso file."

Can you help me better understand this whole mounting and installing process? Where should the .iso be physically when I try to mount it? And where should the mounted Win 10 Setup files be after they are mounted? On a virtual drive, or on a plugged in USB stick?

Again, thanks for your help.

Tom

twhedbee, Sep 4, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    The .ISO file can be on any local drive. I normally leave it in downloads. When you mount it it appears as a virtual CD drive. (See the picture in step 4 here - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums ).

Then you click on setup.exe (in this virtual drive as in the picture) and the repair install (or upgrade it is exactly the same) starts. For a repair install or upgrade you do not want to boot it from a USB - that is for clean install.

Where do you have it stored now? If it is not on a local drive then try copying it to your desktop or somewhere else on your C drive as there are problems reported trying it from NAS etc - see Mounting ISO :

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  7. twhedbee Win User
    Thanks, lx07. I have the .iso on my D: drive (a second data partition on the local hard drive). But I get an error whenever I try to run or mount it. -- Tom

twhedbee, Sep 4, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

Try copying it to C drive somewhere. In that link from TechNet above this worked for a lot of ISOs that were flagged as sparse and gave this error. Other than that I don't know...

lx07, Sep 4, 2016
  9. twhedbee Win User
    Thanks. Will try and report.

twhedbee, Sep 4, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Instead of mounting it. You can also use any compression program such as: 7-Zip and just extract it to the root folder of D:\ . Install 7-zip then Right click on the ISO file->7-zip->Extract Here. The ISO will extract everything under D:\ .Double click on setup.exe to run in place repair.

topgundcp, Sep 4, 2016
  11. mrgeek Win User

Keep us up to date with your progress. I have upgraded a number of computers, even remotely, to 10 Anniv by copying the ISO to the desktop then following the process in Brink's tutorial here, Option One -
    ISO and IMG File - Mount or Unmount in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Mounting will yield a virtual drive, where you'll see the setup.exe to run in the explorer window that opens (same as if you inserted any CD or DVD and explored the contents) that looks like this -

Need help fixing system files [​IMG]

At this point, you will be at Step 4 of this tutorial (be sure to disable or uninstall 3rd party anti-virus) and just follow the rest, skipping Step 6-
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

The advantage of burning a DVD or USB from the ISO or media creation tool is that you can use it if the computer can't boot or start (you can see it has a boot folder), to reinstall or repair the OS should something disastrous happen. However, that's not your case, therefore, not necessary for an in place Repair. Good Luck

mrgeek, Sep 5, 2016
  12. twhedbee Win User
    Taking topguncp's advice above, I am currently extracting the .iso to both a USB and my D: drive. As I understand it, reinstalling from the USB will do a clean install and wipe everything on the C: drive. Is that correct? I'm inclined to go that route since it seems it's time to "wash clean." Plus, as you said, I will have the USB in case of future problems. I sort of miss the days of just plugging in an actual DVD that you owned!

Thanks again, mrgeek. I'll report back. -- Tom

twhedbee, Sep 5, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

It's worth trying to use what you've downloaded to upgrade to 1607, and see how you get on. If Windows runs, and no issues, you've won, and saved yourself a great deal of reconfiguration (unless, of course, you only have a few things installed).

Before you do either an upgrade or a clean install, use disk imaging to back up completely what you have now. That way you can always restore what you have (if the upgrade fails), & you have a full backup from which you can recover any data you've forgotten if you choose to do a clean install.

Note that MS is working on solving a number of widely reported issues some experience with the anniversary update, so it's best to be cautious.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  14. twhedbee Win User
    Reporting back: I extracted the Win 10 Home ISO (1607) to my D: drive and ran setup.exe from there in the hopes of keeping my files and apps. At first, everything went well--downloaded updates, setup said all was well, chose to keep files, and started the install. About 35% of the way through, everything stopped and I got a message something like "Installation failed" and was returned to the desktop where I started.

Any ideas?

twhedbee, Sep 5, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    Please confirm before doing this you did indeed use disk imaging to create a full image backup in case sthg went wrong. (Note- worst case you could end up with an unbootable PC)

Preliminary: run chkdsk on your OS drive.
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

1. View the setup logs. Here is what I found for you with a search for
    How do you check the setup log "windows 10"

Windows Setup Log Files and Event Logs

2. Consult the many threads on setup failures here on the forum (and elsewhere).
    Search for
    installation failed

3. There should have been some sort of error message. Make a careful note of that and search for it.

4. Do the installation without checking for updates i.e. keep it simple.

5. Do the installation from a clean boot- disable your antivirus, disconnect any external peripherals.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Need help fixing system files - Similar Threads - Need help fixing

2. Need help looking at dump file, system crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help looking at dump file, system crashing: Hi, having fixed my previous issue ive now got something new to worry about. Keeps crashing in games and im hoping its a driver of some sort but some help looking at whats causing it would be much appreciated.Any and all help will be much appreciated, thanks.Msinfo and a...
  3. I need help fixing Corrupted Windows files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help fixing Corrupted Windows files: Over the past few months, I've notice I haven't been able to install any windows updates besides security ones, so I used cmd sfc and dism all of which said I have corrupted windows files and was repairable now I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I have tried everything...
  4. I need help fixing Corrupted Windows files

I need help fixing Corrupted Windows files: Over the past few months, I've notice I haven't been able to install any windows updates besides security ones, so I used cmd sfc and dism all of which said I have corrupted windows files and was repairable now I'm not the most tech savvy person, but I have tried everything...
  5. I need help fixing my system boot files Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need help fixing my system boot files Windows 10: I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 11, but when I set up my PC I set up my drive in MBR scheme. To upgrade to Win 11 I used mbr2gpt which worked but for the last step which is to rebuild the RE. So in attempts to fix it, I used EasyBCD that rebuilt the BCD for an MBR...
  6. I need help fixing my system boot files Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help fixing my system boot files Windows 10: I finally decided to upgrade to Windows 11, but when I set up my PC I set up my drive in MBR scheme. To upgrade to Win 11 I used mbr2gpt which worked but for the last step which is to rebuild the RE. So in attempts to fix it, I used EasyBCD that rebuilt the BCD for an MBR...
  7. I need help fixing my system boot files Windows 10

8. File system error -2143322098. Need help.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File system error -2143322098. Need help.: I try to open Forza Horizon 5 and I got the message File system error -2143322098. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-system-error-2143322098-need-help/c3865e2a-92dd-4de7-bcea-f7b70b7ad0b8
  9. File system error -2143322098. Need help.

File system error -2143322098. Need help.: I try to open Forza Horizon 5 and I got the message File system error -2143322098. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-system-error-2143322098-need-help/c3865e2a-92dd-4de7-bcea-f7b70b7ad0b8
  10. Needing help fixing my file explorer area?

in Windows 10 Support
    Needing help fixing my file explorer area?: Okay here's what I did I removed the stuff that used to show because it was getting confusing. When I used to open file explorer it used to show everything from things I opened to things I had downloaded. I hated it so I completely removed it. Because I didn't know how to...