Windows 10: Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

Discus and support Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After running MBR2GPT on my system with a successful completion, I realized that I don't know how to change the BIOS from legacy to UEFI, resulting in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by clk1946, Nov 1, 2017.

1. clk1946 Win User

Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

After running MBR2GPT on my system with a successful completion, I realized that I don't know how to change the BIOS from legacy to UEFI, resulting in the inability to boot the GPT'ed system. I was running Windows 10 Creator on an MBR system using an MSI H61M-E23 (version 2) motherboard. I made the mistake of thinking that setting the boot mode to UEFI would be easy - I tried setting the first boot device to UEFI, but that did not work. The system does not boot - all I get is a blinking cursor. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

clk1946, Nov 1, 2017

2. Fresh install Windows 10 will not boot

I got it to Work. I do not know if it was the dvd I put Windows on or what. but If I set my bios boot mode to legacy it boots good so I reload it on my new ssd with boot mode set to legacy and it did the same thing so I had to go back into the bios and
    change the boot mode to UEFI and it boots up . So if I load Windows in UEFI boot mode I have to change the boot mode to Legacy and if I load it with the boot mode set to Legacy I have to change it to UEFI boot mode. All I know is that I got it to boot and
    it running good now Thank you for the help

DarrellProsser, Nov 1, 2017
  3. Dual boot options- Ubuntu and Windows 10

Original Title[Dual Boot]

I have updated from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 quite recently, now I want to dual boot my laptop Dell Inspiron 3542, with Ubuntu. But the thing I heard all over the Internet is about the UEFI and Legacy Boot modes and mine is in UEFi mode. In the boot options
    there is an option to change boot mode from UEFi to Legacy BIOS. Is it safe to do so. Doing so, does it help to dual boot with Ubuntu?

My boot mode is set to: UEFI with Legacy OPROM.

Sundar kumar Akella, Nov 1, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Look for a setting to enable/disable CSM mode and disable it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2017
  5. topgundcp Win User
    Hit DEL to enter the BIOS, go to Boot tab, set the UEFI-HD/SSD id in box 1. Set "Windows Boot Manager" in box 2. Hit F10 to save and exit.

Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot. [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 1, 2017
  6. clk1946 Win User
    First, thank you for your quick responses. Unfortunately, neither response provides me with a solution.

There is no CSM mode provided in my version of the BIOS (Aptio setup utility).

The options menu provided for Boot Configuration are: USB Hard Disk, Hard Disk: Sandisk Ultra II, USB CD/DVD, USB floppy, Network, Bev, UEFI, Disabled. I have no choice of 'UEFI-HD/SSD' (1), only 'UEFI'. And I do not have 'UEFI Boot Drive BBS Priorities', instead the only choice I have is 'CD/DVD Rom Drive BBS Priorities'. BTW, when I choose 'UEFI' for 1st boot, at boot, the system flashes the logo and returns to the BIOS's main menu. I have the same version of the Aptio setup utility (version 2.10.1208) and my Bios Version is E7680IMS V10.14.

Even though the MBR2GPT utility presented a successful completion, now I am questioning that. Is there some sort of 'offline' validation of the GPT'ed system that I can perform ??

clk1946, Nov 1, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can boot the computer from a recovery USB flash drive like Kyhi's recovery tools and we can look at the disk layout.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2017
  8. clk1946 Win User

While waiting for a response, I brought up Diskpart to take a look at the partition layout and noticed when doing a 'detail disk' on the system disk, 'Boot Disk' was flagged as NO in the provided information. I will take your suggestion re Kyhi's recovery USB.

Can I use diskpart to set the EFI partition as active ?????

clk1946, Nov 1, 2017
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Why did you change it ? There was no need to.

AddRAM, Nov 1, 2017
  10. Hi,
    Not an expert as you but disabling CSM I'm pretty sure will make a system not boot anymore :/

ThrashZone, Nov 1, 2017
  11. clk1946 Win User
    This question is for AddRam - I'm not sure what your question addresses. Did I change what ?

As for ThrashZone, The BIOS setup utility does not even mention CSM.

clk1946, Nov 1, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Disabling CSM mode only disables booting from legacy BIOS MBR partitioned drives. It forces booting in UEFI more only.

And on a GPT drive for UEFI booting, there should be an EFI System Partition that is formatted as FAT32 to boot from, but therr is no active partition.

NavyLCDR, Nov 1, 2017
  13. clk1946 Win User

Ok, I booted my Windows 10 install disk and worked my way to the command prompt to work with Diskpart. The system disk that I MBR2GPT'ed shows that the EFI (fat32) and Windows partitions are OK, except that my expectation was that the EFI partition should show as active & system (as on my current working system). Diskpart is also indicating that the system disk is not bootable.

clk1946, Nov 1, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    My question was, why did you convert/change the drive from MBR to GPT ?

For what purpose ?

AddRAM, Nov 1, 2017
  15. topgundcp Win User
    The BIOS screen above is a screen shot of your MB Manual. The wording may be different since I don't have your MB.
    I suggest that you disconnect all external device (USB HD, USB Stick). Reset the BIOS to default (this will reset the UEFI firmware). Go back to Boot tab, hilite the first entry then select UEFI, on second box select Windows Boot Manager

topgundcp, Nov 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot. - Similar Threads - Need help changing

2. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  3. I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't switch from UEFI BIOS boot to Legacy.: UEFI is selected in my bios but when I boot my computer it says I am still in UEFI, even after I rebooted my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-switch-from-uefi-bios-boot-to-legacy/b4d4c3f9-436a-4881-836d-58f2165dffc4
  4. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  5. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  6. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  7. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  8. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  9. Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.: Toshiba satellite p75 A7200. Windows 10 is not recognized and i see empty black screen. How can i revert that change. Nothing gets booted. Toshiba logo is frozen. Hard drive detached goes to single underscore screen. No F button is working with windows 10 drive. Holding...
  10. Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10

Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10: I used the Windows converting program MBR2GPT.exe to convert my SSD to GPT and it reported it had done it. I then rebooted and entered the bios and changed one setting from Legacy ROM to EFI Compatible ROM and another setting called 'UEFI Boot' from Disabled to Enabled and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. legacy oprom blinking cursor