Windows 10: Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD

Discus and support Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello all! In need of some help and I hope this is the forum that can solve my issue. If not would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by tallgeese3, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD

Hello all! In need of some help and I hope this is the forum that can solve my issue. If not would anyone mind pointing me in the right direction as I'm really clueless right now.*Redface

Setup: Laptop 1 - Acer Aspire V3-771G-9809 - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews
    Laptop 2 - Toshiba satellite ( old POS )

Long version:

Short version:
    Computer showed " no bootable device" on startup, preventing me from using my computer. Took laptop apart, put HDD in freezer and it fixed the issue. Problem happened again a few weeks later and HDD never recovered. When computer is ran it just sits in a permanent boot loop and never fully launches. Bought a usb to sata adapter and a new HDD. When connected to adapter "broken" HDD can still be read and files moved from it.

1. Migration issues

1A. Tried to copy/paste windows folder ( 18gb ) from "broken HDD" to desktop of laptop 2 . Process gets to around 1.82gb before automatically canceling.

1B. Went into windows folder and tried to individually move files out. Certain files throughout the entire windows folder gave me permission errors. I decided to stop as I'm not sure what effect those missing files would have and I'm assuming the permission errors are what caused the problems in 1A.

1Ba. Read a guide into how to obtain file permissions and gave it a try. While most of the files seem to transfer permission over with no issues a few unique files cause a text box to appear asking if I would like to get permission for that file and ones attached to it. Clicking yes when the text box appears for these specific files causes the process to stall indefinitely (I'm assuming because I didn't wait for more then a few minutes). If every text box is skipped program does finish but I'm in the same boat as in 1A.

2. Installation issues - Don't own a usb drive or windows OS disk

2A. Followed this guide How to Create Windows 10 System Recovery Partition - YouTube and made a recovery partition on my new HDD. This did nothing as my comp still gives me the no bootable device error.

2B. Tried to make a bootable usb drive through my android phone using this tutorial : How To: Use your Android phone as a bootable disk - YouTube but win 10 x64 is 8gb and that program is limited to 4gb. [ Perhaps I should give win 8 a try as that is was what was originally installed in laptop 1 ]

Side notes:

While broken HDD is plugged in I can access win 10 recovery mode. Repair mode crashes at 30% and because I want my data I'm not going to use reset mode.

:)

tallgeese3, Nov 14, 2017

2. Tranferring Win 10 to SSD

Hi,

I have a original win10 installed on my laptop hdd but i need to replace it with SSD so how can i migrate win 10 to SSD.

Thank you

AkashBhargava90, Nov 14, 2017
  3. john3220 Win User
    Is Windows RE used in Windows 10?

If I perform a clean install using a Win 10 ISO DVD on the SSD, will the install place a Recovery Partition on that drive? I would then re-run the migration software from the old HDD to recover files and apps. Currently I was able to get Windows RE on
    the new SSD to find the recovery software in the Recovery Partition located on the old HDD.

john3220, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD

Welcome to the forum the only way is to buy a usbthey are very cheap then download the windows 10 iso let it write to the usb for you then boot from that and do a clean install it will active as its now sored on ms servers trying to get some stuff off a bad hd is fraught with problems

Download Windows 10

Samuria, Nov 14, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Can you find a friend, neighbor, relative, local computer store that can lend to you a bootable windows 10 iso?
    If so you may be able to fix the problem and then return the windows 10 iso flash drive.
    Otherwise you can purchase a flash drive. The iso is approximately 4GB so find one that is 6 or 8 GB.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD

1. Need help migrating/installing Win 10 into new HDD - Similar Threads - Need help migrating

2. Need help with permissions on new HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with permissions on new HDD: I just installed a new 2TB SeaGate HDD as a storage drive to go along with my 256gb SSD and I am trying to make the drive writeable. I have put ownership of the drive under the administrator (me) but still when I add folders they are not writeable and I am unable to change...
  3. Migrating applications and settings from my previous installation to my new Win 10 HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrating applications and settings from my previous installation to my new Win 10 HDD.: I have to install a new disk into my desktop, I will still run Win 10 Pro. Is there a way to migrate my apps, settings and data from the old disk to the newly clean, vanilla Win 10 on the new disk? Everything is on one desktop and I have to remove the original disk at some...
  4. How to migrate to a new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to migrate to a new HDD: My HP Envy 23 all in one 10 pt touch screen began giving me the ol Smart drive detects imminent HDD Failure. So I got a new 1 TB drive and everything is backed up on another external drive. How do I migrate to a new drive all my windows account settings? If I use the...
  5. installing win 10 on a new hdd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing win 10 on a new hdd: I purchased a Sony laptop several years ago that came with win8 MS offered a free upgrade to win10 that I took advantage of When my unit crashed a while back, I was able to download a media creation tool to a flash drive. to reintall win 10 I now have to replace this hd...
  6. Migrating HDD to New PC

Migrating HDD to New PC: Hello all, I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it, and place it in my new build. Once there I would like to clone it onto an SSD and use that in the future for the boot drive....
  7. Need help How to use WIN to HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help How to use WIN to HDD: [img] I dont know why but i cant get the Next Button to work what am i doing wrong ? thank you 121896
  8. Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD

Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD: I'm trying to migrate my Win10x64 OS and apps (not concerned about data) to a larger HDD by using several software apps (Acronis, AOEMI Partition Assistant) in Clone or Copy or Migrate modes. So far, none of them will boot when the older boot drive is disconnected or...
  9. New HDD, 2nd windows install. Need help

New HDD, 2nd windows install. Need help: I stuck a new HDD into PC and is currently set as 2nd HDD. It is blank and new. What I want to do is install windows 10 on this drive , and set it to the main boot. The problem I am having is what is my best option. Do I do a windows 7 install on new HDD from DVD? or...
  10. hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd: hi, laptop's hdd broke, i put new one in but stuck on how to install win10 i found an iso version from microsoft Access Denied i downloaded it, how to make bootable usb? 72961