Windows 10: Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume"

Discus and support Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I receive an update for "Windows 10 Creators" before doing the update I decided to create a recovery disc to a USB but only to find out I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rain1990bason, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume"

So I receive an update for "Windows 10 Creators" before doing the update I decided to create a recovery disc to a USB but only to find out I can't create one with error "Missing important files" so I googled and found a thread that suggest a steps... one of the step is to supply a command (in administrator level) a "reagentc /disable" this freezed my laptop and then windows crashes and restart. During the restart just after the Asus loading logo the BSOD with "unmountable boot volume" error code occurred I tried many restarts but same error being display.

With the "unmountable boot volume" error, I googled and found that I have to use a bootable USB to fix it (I don't have installation CD when I bought the laptop). I grabbed other laptop (with windows 10 installed) and create a windows 10 bootable in USB. Go back to my damaged laptop I changed the boot sequence to boot in my USB but after the Asus loading logo the screen goes black and stuck there the installation which usually popups didn't displayed. I tried on the other laptop where I created the bootable USB to check if the USB is damaged but to my surprise the bootable USB actually works on the other laptop no black screen displayed.

I created the Windows 10 bootable USB using Rufus, then when the black screen is being displayed I tried to create again with the Windows Media Creation Tool which also display black screen.

At this point I'm not sure what to do to fix this... any idea is appreciated...

:)

rain1990bason, Jul 19, 2017

2. Unmountable_Boot_Volume NEED HELP!!!

So now, I can't even login. How do I go to safe mode?

yuenhakshing, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Susan K P Win User
    Windows 10 slow unresponsive

It won't boot from the DVD. It just keeps going back to the BSOD unmountable boot volume. HELP!

I NEED THIS COMPUTER WORKING!

Susan K P, Jul 19, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume"

A) What was the status of your computer before the update?
    B) Were there any known drive problems?
    C) When was the last time the drive was tested by any software application tests: SMART, short or long generic etc.
    D) Where there any known software or operating system problems? And which operating system were you using prior to the current problem?
    E) post information about your computer:
    Manufacturer
    Model including laptop/desktop
    Number of drives
    SSD versus HD
    Processor
    Graphics card
    Bios
    F) have you been doing any over clocking?
    G) do you use hardware or software RAID?
    H) when was that last time that you reset the bios?
    I) are your files backed up?
    J) had you made an image of the drive?
    K) if you need to perform a clean install would you be able to? (delete partitions, format the drive, make an un-allocated drive, install window 10 version 1703)

Perform the following steps and report results into the thread:

1) Power on the computer with no attached devices (no printer, no internet, no USB drives or devices, etc.) and as soon as you see the Microsoft icon power off.
    2)Repeat the above power on and power off and be as timely as possible to turn off as soon as you see the Microsoft icon. Repeat once again if necessary.
    3) report into the thread whether you were able or not able to view Windows recovery or Windows advanced troubleshooting menu. (were you able to see diagnosing your PC?)

4) find a flash drive that you can format
    5) create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    6) place the bootable windows 10 iso into any USB port
    7) change the bios boot order so that you can boot first to the USB device
    8) boot to the USB drive
    9) a windows icon should be seen for approximately 5 minutes while the iso loads.
    10) report into the thread whether you were or not you were able to view the Microsoft icon while the iso loaded.

11) if both of the above fail were you ever able to see anything on the monitor besides a black screen?
    if yes what were you able to see and when?
    12) if you only see a black screen are you able to connect the monitor directly to the motherboard without the graphics card? If yes was there an image on the monitor?

zbook, Jul 19, 2017
  5. A. It works fine
    B. No, I didn't notice any issue on the drive
    C. If you consider the scannow command a drive test then I have it when I can't create a recovery disc which result to no issue on my drive
    D. None so far, I'm on Windows 10 Home Single Language
    E. Manufacturer: Asus
    Model: X455LA
    Number of drives: 1 HDD
    Drive type: HD
    Processor: Intel core i3
    Graphic card: default, I gues Intel
    BIOS: UEFI
    F. No
    G. No
    H. Never
    I. I have copies of the important files so no problem if I have to reinstall windows 10 as long as I can retain my license
    J. Nope
    K. I'm not sure if I can do this as the installation setup is not displayed and access from my bootable USB. I can access the BIOS only as of this time

Method 1: didn't work
    Method 2: didn't work also, I tried 3 different USB one is new which has this led that blinks when process is being done by the USB... When I boot to this new USB and the black screen displayed the led on the USB stops to blink and I assume no process being done by the USB

11: I can only see black screen and nothing else... no cursor, no windows or popups is just black screen
    12: I'm on laptop... I'm not sure what you mean here.

UPDATE:
    In BIOS, there is an option "Start Easy Flash" under advanced tab. When I select this a blue screen is displayed about my current BIOS and I notice that my drive partitions is displayed there even the C, D and etc. when I select one of the partition I can view the folders/dir name in it but not the files. I'm not sure if that helps buts that's an info I got while roaming arround the BIOS

rain1990bason, Jul 19, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    When you power on the computer do you:
    hear the hard drive?
    hear the fan?
    hear any other sounds?
    see any lights on the side of the laptop?
    see any lights on the keyboard?

1) Each computer manufacturer has a F key to boot an external device:
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    Power on and see if repetitively clicking the escape key allows you to choose a boot device.
    If so insert the flash drive into any USB port and choose external hard drive.
    Attempt to boot with the windows 10 iso.

2) Attach an external monitor to the laptop
    Power on an report any image seen on the external monitor

3) remove the battery from the laptop
    remove the power cord from the laptop
    hold the power button down for 1 minute
    plug the power cord into the computer without attaching the battery
    power on and report the image on the laptop monitor and the external monitor

4) remove the back panel from the laptop
    how much total RAM?
    how many RAM sticks?
    If there is only one RAM then remove and replace it or reseat it.
    If there are two RAM then remove one and reboot the computer.
    Report the image that you see on the laptop and external monitor.
    Power off the computer and replace one RAM with the other and reboot.
    Report the image that you see on the laptop and external monitor.

zbook, Jul 19, 2017
  7. Saltgrass Win User
    If issuing the command you state had caused problems, I would think you had been booting your system using the Recovery system and not a normal boot.

I you had the Boot media, you could try re-enabling the recovery options by using the reagentc /enable command from the command prompt. Hopefully, that would get you back into Windows. From there we can diagnose your system.

If that does not work, I would again boot into the Install media and try running the bootrec /rebuildbcd command and if it states there is no Win 10 install, I would use the bcdboot command to replace the BCD store.

If your OS drive was still listed as C you would use
    bcdboot C:\Windows

Saltgrass, Jul 20, 2017
  8. Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume"

@zbook thanks for the response. I'll try your suggestion and be back to you.
    @Saltgrass, that's what I'm trying tp do... I'm to boot into the installtion media using USB but just after the Asus loading screen it goes to black screen... nothing happens if I click any keys and no cursor.

For expirement, I downloaded a Ubunto and made a bootable USB using Rufus. I plugged it to my damaged laptop and boot into it... and suprisingly it works as it should be the screen for ubunto installation is displayed and I even try the ubunto without installing it and works fine. Now, I don't know why the windows 10 on a bootable USB wont work. Hope this would help debugging this

rain1990bason, Jul 20, 2017
  9. When I power on the laptop:
    - Yes I can hear the
    - Yes, I can hear the
    - There's light on the side of the computer that blinks (probably the processor activity) but it stops blinking when the black screen occured when I boot to my USB

1. Yes I can with the Esc key, but when I select the USB on the list same result. The black screen occurs just after the Asus loading screen

2. I attached to external monitor, power on the laptop and the black screen occured the external monitor says "No Signal" I guess it can't detect my laptop. Note: I tried the Ubunto ISO and the external monitor detects my laptop.

3. I can't remove the battery as it's built-in

4. There are two RAM chips on my laptop.1st is the built-in and can't be detached and 2nd one that I added before which can be remove. I remove the 2nd reboot the laptop and nothing change same result - black screen on the laptop and no signal on the external monitor.

rain1990bason, Jul 21, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    1) When you use Ubuntu what do you see besides the black screen that you were seeing with windows?
    2) What do you see on the laptop monitor and what do you see on the external monitor?
    3) If you click: win + p (simultaneously) do you see project options: PC screen only, duplicate extend, second screen only ?
    4) Can you connect to the internet using Ubuntu?
    5) Can you open a browser using Ubuntu?
    6) Can you download and install software designed to work with Ubuntu to test the drive?
    Hard Disk Sentinel - Free Linux version
    7) If you test the RAM using a memtest86+ flash drive on a working computer what happens when you use the same flash drive on the laptop with the external monitor: can you see anything on the external monitor?
    8) When you boot using the esc key do you see the Windows icon with rotating dots before you see the Asus icon?
    9) If so power on and as soon as you see the windows icon power off.
    10) Repeat this again by powering on and power off as soon as you see the Windows icon.
    11) Repeat this once again.
    12) At any time did you see "diagnosing your PC" with rotating dots on either the laptop monitor or the external monitor?
    13) Please clarify: you have or have not found any method that can go beyond the asus icon?
    Not with:
    Ubuntu
    Windows 10 iso
    etc.
    14) With the suggestions from @Saltgrass please confirm that you were or were able to see the Asus icon on each the laptop monitor and the external monitor or only on the internal or only the external monitor?
    15) Please provide as much detail as possible as to which screen can display an image other than black and what is on the display following any hardware or software step.
    16) If you boot and click the appropriate F key to enter the bios what do you see on the laptop and/or external monitor? And when you are in the bios what are the menu choices?
    17) At any time have you seen a cursor on the display, either laptop or external? If yes when do you see a cursor? Do you only see a cursor with Ubunto and never with windows or windows recovery?

zbook, Jul 21, 2017
  11. 1) When you use Ubuntu what do you see besides the black screen that you were seeing with windows?
    -- in Ubuntu I don't see the black screen. It loads normal and OK

2) What do you see on the laptop monitor and what do you see on the external monitor?
    -- Using Ubuntu, I can see the Ubuntu desktop both in external and laptop's monitor. Using windows, black screen on the laptops' screen and "No signal" on external monitor

3) If you click: win + p (simultaneously) do you see project options: PC screen only, duplicate extend, second screen only ?
    -- using Ubuntu, it switches to different mode of projection as expected. Using windows, on laptop's screen nothing change no popups or anything just simple black screen for the external monitor still shows "No Signal"

4) Can you connect to the internet using Ubuntu?
    -- Yes I can, I even downloaded chrome browser

5) Can you open a browser using Ubuntu?
    -- Yep, it has built-in Firefox and I also able to download chrome and use it

6) Can you download and install software designed to work with Ubuntu to test the drive?
    Hard Disk Sentinel - Free Linux version
    -- Not sure with this, but when I check the hard-drive using the ubuntu's "Disks" which is built-in and start a check on the my HD and result shows no error

7) If you test the RAM using a memtest86+ flash drive on a working computer what happens when you use the same flash drive on the laptop with the external monitor: can you see anything on the external monitor?
    -- wasn't able to try this...

8) When you boot using the esc key do you see the Windows icon with rotating dots before you see the Asus icon?
    -- I don't see the Windows icon with "rotating dots" maybe because it was replace or customized by Asus. I can see Asus icon with rotating dots stay there for about 5seconds after that I can see "black screen"

9) If so power on and as soon as you see the windows icon power off
    10) Repeat this again by powering on and power off as soon as you see the Windows icon.
    11) Repeat this once again.
    12) At any time did you see "diagnosing your PC" with rotating dots on either the laptop monitor or the external monitor?
    -- I already tried this and nothing changed, no "diagnosing your PC" displayed on external still shows "No Signal". Also why would "diagnosing your PC" be displayed on a USB boot? Also I tried it without the USB still the BSOD is displayed nothing changed.

13) Please clarify: you have or have not found any method that can go beyond the asus icon?
    Not with:
    Ubuntu iso: after the Asus icon with the rotating dots the Ubuntu setup screen is displayed
    Windows 10 iso: after the Asus icon with the rotating dots, the black screen displayed
    Windows 8 iso: same with Windows 10

14) With the suggestions from @Saltgrass please confirm that you were or were able to see the Asus icon on each the laptop monitor and the external monitor or only on the internal or only the external monitor?
    -- When using windows: I can only see the Asus icon on the laptop's monitor not on external monitor it shows "No Signal".
    when using Ubuntu: I can only see the Asus icon on the laptop's monitor not on external monitor. But when the loading screen displayed the external monitor displayed same screen with the laptop's monitor

15) Please provide as much detail as possible as to which screen can display an image other than black and what is on the display following any hardware or software step.
    -- I already provided all I can notice both in laptop's and external monitor. I'm not sure if there's more other than black screen and "no signal"

16) If you boot and click the appropriate F key to enter the bios what do you see on the laptop and/or external monitor? And when you are in the bios what are the menu choices?
    -- wasn't able to try this...

17) At any time have you seen a cursor on the display, either laptop or external? If yes when do you see a cursor? Do you only see a cursor with Ubunto and never with windows or windows recovery?
    -- I can only see the "blinking cursor" with Ubuntu and never see on windows only black screen.

Update:
    I went in one of the local repair shop in our place. The technician also can't figure it out. They suggest to wipe-out my HD and install a new one Windows which I have to pay the new Windows activation key. I'm currently in tight budget and I can't spare for a new activation key. So I refused their offer for now and maybe consider later when I have the budget. I'm thinking to install the Ubuntu (full) to clear my entire HD and maybe try if it will windows installation setup will kick in.

Sorry for the long thread and thanks for your time guys! really appreciate it.

rain1990bason, Jul 23, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    See if you can use Ubunto to run HD sentinel to test the drive.
    Each computer manufacturer has a F key to enter the bios: List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    With the Asus laptop see if you can power on and get into the bios repetitively clicking either: escape, F8, or F9.
    See if you can test the memory using a bootable Memtest86+ flash drive. If it starts testing the memory you will want to run at least 8 passes. This may take many hours so plan to run overnight. If you make less than 8 passes it will need to be repeated to rule in or rule out RAM/DIMM problems. When the study has completed please use a camera to make a picture and post the image into the thread.

zbook, Jul 23, 2017
  13. Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume"

I guess I just fixed it!!! It's not good fix and I won't advise it for those who have important files in their PC.

So what I did. Since I can't make the windows installation setup to appear and repair my PC because of the black screen! I decided to wipe out my HD and install Ubuntu in it. So my laptop is in FULL Ubuntu, I mention earlier that I visited a PC shop which they want to install a new windows and I have to pay for the new activation key which I turn down the offer. Going to ubuntu is my option for the laptop to be useful again. Now, on the other thread I created in other windows forum one commenter mentioned that I won't needing a new activation key if I install back Windows. So with that in mind I grabbed my bootable USB that contains Windows 10 and the installation setup was diaplayed! No more black screen! the installation screen slapped my face just after the Asus loading screen!

After the installation process, I logged in into the Windows and check my OS if it's activated! and YES IT IS!!! I don't know why but it's already activated and won't need new activation key! I guess this could be marked as solve!

Thank you so much for the help and time guys!!!

rain1990bason, Jul 23, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    So you installed Ubunto onto the drive removing all of your files. Did you then do a clean install with the windows 10 iso (delete partitions, format the drive, make an unallocated drive, install windows 10 version 1703) after you had installed Ubuntu?

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume"

1. Need help on BSOD "Unmountable boot volume" - Similar Threads - Need help BSOD

2. BSoD: Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD: Unmountable Boot Volume: I've been experiencing BSoD and I cannot acces startup repair and other trouble shoot methods, because my laptop requires a password. Eventhough I am putting the correct password, it still shows that I'm putting an incorrect one. Please help me to fix my problem....
  3. BSoD: Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD: Unmountable Boot Volume: I've been experiencing BSoD and I cannot acces startup repair and other trouble shoot methods, because my laptop requires a password. Eventhough I am putting the correct password, it still shows that I'm putting an incorrect one. Please help me to fix my problem....
  4. BSoD: Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 'Unmounted Boot Volume' Bsod Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Unmounted Boot Volume' Bsod Screen: When I open my Samsung RV420 laptop, It showsLater, :Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you.For more information about this issue and possible fixes visit https://www.windows.com/stopcodeIf you call a support person show them this info Stop...
  6. 'Unmounted Boot Volume' Bsod Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Unmounted Boot Volume' Bsod Screen: When I open my Samsung RV420 laptop, It showsLater, :Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you.For more information about this issue and possible fixes visit https://www.windows.com/stopcodeIf you call a support person show them this info Stop...
  7. Boot volume unmountable BSOD

Boot volume unmountable BSOD: Hello, I was recently playing the game Modern Warfare 2019 when I lost all mouse control in the game and I decided to alt tab out of the game. This led to me getting a BSOD with the stop code "faulty hardware corrupted page" after reboot I now get "boot volume unmountable"...
  8. Unmountable boot volume - help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unmountable boot volume - help: Hi, the other day my PC was hanging so I did a hard reset with the power switch. When I turned it back on I initially got a "A disk read error occurred" message. Now I get an "Unmountable boot volume" message. I've also gotten a series of other messages during automatic...
  9. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME NEED HELP PLS

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME NEED HELP PLS: My PC stopped working a while ago due to a stopcode labled UNmountable_Boot_Volume, and I didn't have the rescources necessary to fix it but now I do. My only other computer is a macbook and I used bootcamp assist to download windows 10 onto a usb to create a repair media and...
  10. BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume

BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume: Hello, I got this BSOD after running the scanner from Microsoft then leaving it overnight then when I woke up it shows a BSOD Unmountable Boot Volume. The machine can't go to Automatic Repair/System Restore because after loading it just shows a black screen. So I've...