Windows 10: Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot

Discus and support Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; You guys were right - I should have performed a clean install (if you remember). I have a 1TB drive with a messed up Windows 10 FCU. I am only using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nisko, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot

You guys were right - I should have performed a clean install (if you remember).

I have a 1TB drive with a messed up Windows 10 FCU. I am only using about 250GB - so I have 750GB in which to install a clean version of Windows 10. I need instructions on how to partition my drive (about two equal partitions). I want to keep my messed up version of Windows so I can keep working. Meanwhile, I will perform the clean install on the other partition and install all my apps as time allows. PS: All my data is on a separate drive. When I'm done installing my apps on the clean install, I will want to delete the messed up version of Windows 10 and the dual boot- to be left with the clean install only with no problems. I use EaseUS Partition Manager & EasyBCD. Will you folks help me out doing this? Thank you...........

:)

Nisko, Nov 9, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

Now that we have the ability to clean install 10 onto a pre-existing 7 machine, and then activate using the pre-existing 7 key...

1. Created a 200GB partition for 10.

2. Booted from USB 10 installer (created today, so latest version).

3. Installed 10 into said 200GB partition with no reported errors.

4. Installer first reboot re-loaded the installer, so removed and rebooted. You'd think they would do something about this, but I'm not holding my breath. Also few walkthrus mention this fact.

5. Boots Windows 7 original bootloader with no sign of the 10 install, so unable to continue on with the setup.

6. Booted into 7 and I can see the installed 10 partition (with no drive letter obviously). Assigned a drive letter and explorer shows Win 10 files are present, and what looks like a bootloader.

According to various sources a Win 10 install will lay down its own bootloader and provide a dual-boot to the pre-existing o/s, in this case Win 7.

As a quick and dirty I used EasyBCD to create a third entry to 10 inside the 7 bootloader, but it throws an error when trying to use that option, something about not being able to verify the o/s.

It should be noted this is an MBR arrangement, a Dell machine, with a separate 20GB OEM recovery partition containing the Win 7 bootloader. Partition Wizard shows the 10 partition status as "None". I would have expected it to be at least "System"?!?

Any "intelligent" ideas much appreciated.

EDIT: this problem has been solved on the TenForums:

Ten Forums Solution

SweynForkbeard, Nov 9, 2017
  4. Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot

1. Open Disk Management by typing diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu.

2. Shrink partition by right clicking the partition you want to shrink.

3. After you have shrink a partition you will have a unallocated volume you will install Windows 10 on this unallocated volume.

If you are dual booting Windows 10 you don't need EasyBCD.

4. After you have finish with setting up new Windows 10 open the System Configuration by typing msconfig into Start Menu.

5. From Boot tab select new Windows 10 boot entry and click "Set as default" button.

6. From Boot tab select old Windows 10 and click Delete button.

7. Open Disk Management by typing diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu.

8. Right click old Windows 10 partition and delete the partition.

FreeBooter, Nov 9, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    There are problems with what you want to do if you try and do a clean install on a drive with windows on it its likley it will put boot files on the wrong drive It may complain about activating. Can you post a screenshot from diskmangmentso we can see if your running gpt,mbr or eufi

Samuria, Nov 9, 2017
  6. Nisko Win User
    Sorry it has taken so long - I'm not that well. A<br>Here's the Disk Management screenshot.

Nisko, Nov 14, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    You might prefer to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Free to modify the partitions.

I want to clean install Windows 7 on a SSD currently having Windows 10. I understand you just shrink the main C: partition to create sufficient free space for the new OS then clean install the new OS in the unallocated disk space using the custom install option. Windows setup should then sort out the boot options and display a new boot menu for you to select which OS to use.

Steve C, Nov 14, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Biggest issue is that legacy bios installs only allow a maximum of 4 primary partitions. Delete the two recovery partitions on drive zero, and there will only be unallocated space after C drive.

Then install Windows to unallocated space on drive zero.

cereberus, Nov 14, 2017
  9. Nisko Win User
    It sounds like there may be a disadvantage to my system if I do what you say. Please explain. I want to get this right before I install a second version of Windows 10. I'd hate to have problems later.

Nisko, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help performing a clean install with a dual boot - Similar Threads - Need help performing

2. How to perform a clean boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to perform a clean boot?: How do I perform a clean boot state, what does this mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot/945abdd8-02ad-4e7c-be6f-1cce41fd8601
  3. i need help dual booting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need help dual booting: i have been trying to dual boot windows 10 and windows 10 i dont know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-dual-booting/0aef49c9-237c-4845-91d6-710ee0a818b9
  4. i need help dual booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help dual booting: i have been trying to dual boot windows 10 and windows 10 i dont know how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-dual-booting/0aef49c9-237c-4845-91d6-710ee0a818b9
  5. i need help dual booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Dual boot issue. URGENTLY NEED HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot issue. URGENTLY NEED HELP!!!: I was installing Kali Linux for dual boot and I also have Win 10 on my SSD.While i was installing Kali i just misscliked and encrypted my SSD with Windows 10 on it. Now i can’t boot into system and BIOS don’t see my SSD. Because it’s encrypted.Please I need your help i don’t...
  7. Need help fixing dual boot issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help fixing dual boot issue.: So I needed to have a dual boot windows system and all was working fine until I needed to transfer some files from one system to my current one. It asked for the action of opening a folder to be authorised by admin, which I then did, after I completed the copying of files, I...
  8. Need help in Dual Boot

Need help in Dual Boot: I have a PC with 2 SSD and an NVMe . I have Windows 10 installed on NVMe And have a free SSD and I want to install Linux ( OpenSUSE ) on a free SSD . I want to Setup dual boot on it but I have no idea how to do it and I doubt that it is possible via NVMe and SSD pathway . If...
  9. Revert dual boot/GRUB - help needed

Revert dual boot/GRUB - help needed: Hi. At the outset, I am new to dual boot so it is likely I have made some mistakes here. Please bear with me. I have an Ideapad with preinstalled Windows 10 and UEFI. I installed Ubuntu in a separate partition and installed the boot loader to the EFI partition. All worked...
  10. Help needed, removing/merging dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help needed, removing/merging dual boot: Hi I have a system with dual boot, as you can see I have 3 partitions on disk 0: vista, win10, and factory image. I have already removed the boot menu in msconfig and set win10 as default, but now I'm faced with the issue that the unwanted partition is the system partition...