Windows 10: Need Help Purchasing New Monitor

Discus and support Need Help Purchasing New Monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need to replace my 24" TN panel (1920x1080) Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM and could use some help. Running Windows 10 with an i7-3770K 3.50GHz CPU and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 65Cobra427SC, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Need Help Purchasing New Monitor

I need to replace my 24" TN panel (1920x1080) Samsung SyncMaster 2494HM and could use some help. Running Windows 10 with an i7-3770K 3.50GHz CPU and GeForce GTX 970 video card. Between my age (retired) and the fact that I use the system more for research and typing than gaming (primarily Diablo III), screen clarity is becoming more and more important.

Although I want to purchase a better quality and slightly larger 27" monitor, I'm also familiar with the Windows 10 blurry font issue. So I'm trying to figure out two things...

(1) I was thinking of buying a monitor with an IPS panel but have no experience with them, although it seems light bleeding is a common issue. I've also seen references to VA, PLS, etc. etc. etc. but no idea how they compare. A friend has the same display I'm using now and he said his other two TN displays are clearer. So maybe I should stick with a TN display.

(2) I was also thinking a 27" 4K display would require me to use 150% for my display settings, which would steer me clear of using 125% which isn't as optimized as 150% and above. But how would I know ahead of time if 150% will give me the correct size.

Hope the above made sense. Thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated.

:)

65Cobra427SC, Nov 14, 2016
  2. RyanN09 Win User

How to transfer files from old computer with windows 7 to new computer with windows 10

I purchased a new desktop with windows 10 and need to transfer all my files and programs from old desktop with windows 7. Is there just a simple cable to let me do this? I did not purchase a new monitor and am using the old monitor with new desktop.

RyanN09, Nov 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 resolution problem.

I just purchased a brand new Asus gaming desktop and also have this issue and absolutely no help, need to shrink screen size about an inch. I am using a Philips TV as a monitor and it has no adjusting options.

RickyWilliamson, Nov 14, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Need Help Purchasing New Monitor

EdTittel, Nov 15, 2016
  5. jf1450 Win User
    Ditto Dells. P2715Q here. Love it

jf1450, Nov 15, 2016
  6. Thanks for the link Ed. Would you mind telling me what value you're using for your 'Display settings'? That would be the percentage you're using for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items"? (right click desktop > Display settings)

And thanks jf. It's always good to have a backup. I suspect you're probably using the same percentage as Ed but I'd be curious if it's different.

I don't want to make assumptions but as far as clarity of the display, especially when it comes to reading text, please let me know what you think.

Thanks

65Cobra427SC, Nov 15, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Before you buy a 4k monitor, check that the key programs you use have UI fonts which will be legible on a 4k monitor. I have several photo programs whose fonts are hard enough to see on my 2560x1440 Viewsonic VP2770 monitor and would be illegible on 4k monitor.

I can recommend the Viewsonic VP2770 monitor if you don't need a 4k monitor- see http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/pr...VP2770-LED.php This is an excellent IPS monitor and has no noticeable light bleed. I've calibrated it for photo editing and get excellent colour matching between the display and printed output.

Steve C, Nov 15, 2016
  8. Need Help Purchasing New Monitor

Steve, I did more research based on your post and you may have a point. I didn't think of looking at monitors with resolutions between 2K and 4K. And due to my setup I can't use a monitor larger than 27 inches.

Could you please tell me what value you're using for your Display settings... (right click desktop > Display settings). That would be the percentage you're using for "Change the size of text, apps, and other items"?

Thanks

9. EdTittel Win User
    As you suspected, it's 150%. Works fine for me.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 15, 2016
  10. Thanks Ed.

Windows 10 works fine as long as the setting is anything except 125% which is what causes the blurry font syndrome. Unfortunately, that's probably the most common setting in use today. On my 2K 24" monitor I can't use 100% because everything is too small, but 150% makes everything too large. I can make adjustments within certain programs to compensate but it depends on what options the program provides.

I suspect jf1450 is probably using 150% as well, but I'm anxious to know what Steve C uses. If he's using 150% then the monitor he is using may be a better choice for me.

11. Steve C Win User
    I use 125% on my Viewsonic 27" 2560x1440 pixel monitor. I only notice 'blurry fonts' in few MS utilities (e.g. Event Viewer) where I can't fiddle with the dpi scaling. You would think MS would sort this out wouldn't you?

Other settings I use are:

Title bars 14
    Menus 13
    Message boxes 10
    Palette title 10
    Icons 14
    Tool tips 10

Steve C, Nov 15, 2016
  12. I was hoping that wasn't the case but thanks for letting me know. I should have expected that considering 2560x1440 is closer to 2K than 4K so I'll need to think this one over. It's a big concern for me since my eyes began hurting shortly after I started using Windows 10.

I also need to consider that some of my problem may be due to the quality and age of my monitor. Wish I knew someone with a 4K monitor I could look at. I'll have to check around. More later.

13. bobkn Win User

I'm using a Samsung U28E590D. It's a 28" UHD (3840 X 2160, 60 Hz) monitor. TN, so it was relatively cheap when new. Text is set at 150%, which is the scale MS recommends. I'm using DisplayPort to get the 60 Hz frame rate. (I doubt that its HDMI inputs support 2.0, required to get 60 Hz at UHD.)

Some programs don't scale their menus well. Photoshop CS6 is poor. Its menus are too small to be easily readable, although they are still sharp.

Most applications have no problems, though. Web browsers, MS Office documents, Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) files, etc., are all good.

bobkn, Nov 16, 2016
  14. Steve C Win User
    Yes, that's why mentioned UI problems on 4k monitors especially with photo applications. Adobe products are generally poor as is the scanning software I use (Silverfast).

Steve C, Nov 16, 2016
  15. Railtech Win User
    For what it is worth I own a Viewsonic VP2780-4K monitor. Have display, IPS panel, font setting at 175% resolution 4096 x 2160. For my purposes it works, no font blur at all. Have only found 1 app so far that is hard to read.

Railtech, Nov 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Need Help Purchasing New Monitor - Similar Threads - Need Help Purchasing

2. I need help with a purchase

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I need help with a purchase: I’m trying to buy a surface go 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-a-purchase/b02dba9c-7e12-4a93-a5d3-8194b409819d
  3. I need help with a purchase

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with a purchase: I’m trying to buy a surface go 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-a-purchase/b02dba9c-7e12-4a93-a5d3-8194b409819d
  4. I need help with a purchase

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need help with purchasing of a game

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with purchasing of a game: I bought minecraft on my windows 10 computer through the Microsoft store and when I bought the game it says I have to still buy it submitted by /u/megacodnoob [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/heps52/need_help_with_purchasing_of_a_game/
  6. Needing Help With Dual Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Needing Help With Dual Monitors: I'm running windows 10 home and I have a hdmi port on my laptop that I connected to my secondary monitor. Display Resolution 1366 X 768 (Recommended) for the laptop resolution. But the secondary monitor is 1920 x1080 full hd. I want to have 2 different wallpapers one for...
  7. Help with new monitor!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with new monitor!: Just connected this Philips 276E9 monitor via hdmi to my rx580 GPU my other monitor is currently connected through dvi ( awaiting DP cable) shortly after connecting them this small transparent box showed up only on my new monitor. there is no X or arrow or any way of clicking...
  8. need help with microsoft game purchases.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    need help with microsoft game purchases.: I am having problems with in-game purchases. It accepts my pin number and then nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-with-microsoft-game-purchases/590950da-ea4c-477b-86af-185f9daa727a"
  9. new monitor help

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    new monitor help: as my old one got dead pixel I am looking for new one I prefer asus lg and Samsung only I don't know what is ips display LEDvs lcd can I play 1080p gaming on 4k monitor? please help me out thanks my cpu is old though i5 2500 which model should I get 1080p or 4k? 138219
  10. new monitor help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    new monitor help: as my old one got dead pixel I am looking for new one I prefer asus lg and Samsung only I don't know what is ips display LEDvs lcd can I play 1080p gaming on 4k monitor? please help me out thanks my cpu is old though i5 2500 which model should I get 1080p or 4k? 138219