Windows 10: Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro

Discus and support Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm new to this forum and I need help. I contacted MS support and was told that I could not RDC from my laptop that has Windows 10 home to my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by nitehawkhp, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro

I'm new to this forum and I need help. I contacted MS support and was told that I could not RDC from my laptop that has Windows 10 home to my desktop that has Windows 10 Pro. I was told that both had to be Windows 10 Pro. I don't think that is true. Can someone help me?

I'm
    Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro [​IMG]
    easily confused in network stuff when it comes to configuring routers, permissions, stuff like that. I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me get my network established and permissions set. Then I can RDC and run programs on my desktop from my laptop. I have some graphics programs that just don't perform well on my laptop, but work very well on the desktop.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

:)

nitehawkhp, Mar 10, 2017

2. Remote Desktop Connection not workin after Win 10 upgrade

Hi,

i was in the 2. scenario. Colleagues with win10 pro had no problems to access server remotely, only me with win10 home. I found following solution:

Iegūstiet Microsoft Remote Desktop Preview — veikalā Microsoft Store lv-LV

Download this app, it works perfectly, even more comfortable like the old RDC client.

Regards

MM

Martins Matiss, Mar 10, 2017
  3. TuRaSa Win User
    How to use Win8 Pro key for Win10 Pro upgrade?

i have a Win7 Home laptop, which was automatically updated to Win10 Home by Microsoft push. I had purchased a Win8 Pro key earlier but I had not updated my laptop to Win8 Pro before Microsoft's auto update. By default Microsoft installed Win10 Home. Now
    I am not able to upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro as the Activation screen keeps on telling me that the Win8 Pro key is not valid for Win10 Home.

How can I upgrade my laptop to Win10 Pro using my Win8 Pro key and not needing to purchase a separate Win10 Pro key?

TuRaSa, Mar 10, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro

Whoever you talked to at MS support was a moron.

Yes you can connect from a Home version of Windows to a Pro version of Windows.

See if this tutorial written by Kari on TenForums helps.
    RDC - Connect Remotely to your Windows 10 PC

sml156, Mar 10, 2017
  5. erikg Win User
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that the MS person is a moron, but indeed it can be done. The tutorial written by Kari may seem a lot to take in for you if you want to quickly set up a rdp connection, but if you're new to this, my advice would be to pour yourself a cup of coffee and take your time to read through it. There are a lot of images (screenshots), so progressing through the tutorial goes fluently Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro :)

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it went Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro :)

Erik.

erikg, Mar 10, 2017
  6. Thanks to sml156 and erikg for your responses. I will read through the tutorial and let you know how it goes.

nitehawkhp, Mar 10, 2017
  7. Thanks for your help!! It worked perfectly

nitehawkhp, Mar 12, 2017
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Glad it worked -- but pity you didn't get the name of that Imbecile at Ms support --you should file a complaint.

Trouble is so much "Support" (does that word actually exist in English any more !!!) is off shored / outsourced so Ms (and other large companies) don't have any direct control over the quality of staff in some of those outfits -- a Robot would have given you the correct answer.

I wonder how many people have for example upgraded needlessly their version of Windows based on receiving the wrong advice from this type of service.

I see you are in the USA -- well "Sue the Pants" off Ms - saying you had to spend TIME AND MONEY (don't forget to charge handsomely for your time) on sourcing, and installing a new version of Windows plus re-installing all your applications -- say 1 Days work -- 2,000 USD would be good for starters knowing typical U.S Lawyers fees.

A few of those and I'm sure the quality of service would be mega improved !!!!. Even if it doesn't go to Court or gets thrown out the thought of zillions of similar cases will certainly wake Ms up a bit. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 12, 2017
  9. hasan55 Win User
    I faced the same problem one month ago.windows 10 has a set all driver but if any time did not install correctly then face some problem like this.

hasan55, Mar 12, 2017
  10. sml156 Win User
    I would try to get your money back if I were you. That is if you did pay anything for it.

Did they want you to buy an upgrade to Pro, That would tell me that all they are there for is to make money any way they can and in your case that would be the commission on selling you the upgrade.

Shady practices at the least if true.

Oh and glad to hear you figured it out.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help RDC from laptop Win10 Home to desktop Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - Need help RDC

2. Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home, backup effect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home, backup effect: I plan to downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home for personal reasons and will be doing a system image backup. My question is since its a full backup of system, will the downgrade from Pro to Home affect anything? Majority of the programs and bulk of storage is in HDD...
  3. Just bought upgrade from win10 home to win10 pro.

Just bought upgrade from win10 home to win10 pro.: Just bought upgrade from win10 home to win10 pro. I followed the directions and reinstalled but now I still have Win10 Home (and a bunch of missing drivers). How do I find my product key to redo the install of Win 10 Pro. I bought from within my Microsoft account that I have...
  4. win10 bsod help needed

win10 bsod help needed: Hi, My win10 machine is crashing either just before or during boot. I have minidumps and tried turning on verifier but it was in safe mode so the offending drivers were probably not loaded. In the dumps I have it shows ntoskrnl.exe usually as the crashing module. I also saw...
  5. Credentials required to RDC from win8.1 PC to Win10 Pro PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Credentials required to RDC from win8.1 PC to Win10 Pro PC?: Hi I login to both of my computers with the same Microsoft Credentials. However, no combination of credentials seem to allow me to connect to my Win10 pro desktop. From my past experience with remote desktop connections both a DOMAIN and USER name are required, e.g....
  6. Remote Desktop Connection: Win10 Home vs Win10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection: Win10 Home vs Win10 Pro?: I have several laptops at home, and am trying to connect to an SSH connection at work for networking. To be fair, I am an idiot and had a techie friend of mine set everything up, however: At home, on the same wireless network on the same router, I have three computers:...
  7. Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: Recently I have replaced my Win 8.1 Home edition with a Win 10 Home edition. (64-bit) Now I would like to upgrade Win10 Home to a Win10 Pro Edition. How do I do that and what will it cost me? 31154
  8. Win10 Pro oem, installed as Win10 HOME

Win10 Pro oem, installed as Win10 HOME: I have an original CD with 64 bits Win 10 Pro for OEM, with a sticker with key. I did a clean installation deleted the partitions in C: I installed and see that it is the Win 10 OEM Home 1709 After instalation there were the automatic Windows updates from Microsoft....
  9. Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home

Downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win10 Home: Hi all, Just some kind of confirmation/affirmation to be honest here. I have recently acquired a Surface Pro 3 (i5-256GB model), had Win8, promptly upgraded to Win10. However after playing a while I found a few of the 'Pro' features an... annoyance... and nothing I...
  10. Need help on desktop auto power on issue on Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help on desktop auto power on issue on Win10 Pro: Can anyone help me to solve the problem on desktop auto power on? Few days ago I just upgraded my desktop to Win 10 pro 64bit, it was fine until tonight, I tried to shut down the PC, it did actually powered off everything just for about a min., the PC will turn back on...