Windows 10: Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions

Discus and support Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I think that for some reason, my EFI and MSR partitions were not located on my main Windows drive. When I installed linux mint on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Streblo, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Streblo Win User

Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions

Hello,

I think that for some reason, my EFI and MSR partitions were not located on my main Windows drive.

When I installed linux mint on a separate drive, Windows refused to boot. I did the usual linux chain of debugging like boot-repair and update-grub but I don't think that's where the problem is.

Upon investigation in both linux and diskpart on a recovery cd, my Windows HDD is missing a EFI partition and a MSR partition. It only has the main data partition and a recovery partition. Even more interesting, there is no unallocated space on the Windows Drive so the EFI and MSR must have been somewhere else. I believe the EFI and MSR were on the drive I installed Linux to for some reason, and they were overwritten.

My plan now is to format the recovery partition and put an EFI and MSR partition there and then restore using start up repair.

I need to know if

a) this will work? (EFI and MSR won't be at the beginning of the disk) and
    b) how big do I need to make the partitions for 64bit windows?

Thanks.

:)

Streblo, Nov 8, 2016
  2. Saltgrass Win User

How can a MRP (Microsoft Reserved Partition) be formatted?

If you have wiped C, in order to reinstall you will need to wipe all the critical partitions, which the MSR along with Recovery, EFI and OS are members.

And a System Image does take care of the MSR partition.

Saltgrass, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    The partitions on the disk selected for Installation are not in the recommended order for additional information about installing to GPT disk go to the Microsoft website and search for GPT

If you are reinstalling or wanting to Clean install, you may need to delete the Critical Partitions and leave unallocated space in that area.

The Critical partitions are the Recovery, EFI System, MSR and OS. You can only see the MSR partition in Diskpart (as explained above) or during an install on the Partitions window.

Saltgrass, Nov 8, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, one way to get all your partitions on one disk is to use e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) disk imaging.

In outline- and posted in more detail elsewhere on the site (which you're free to search for) is
    a. create a disk image of your C: partition.
    b. clear enough space on your system disk.
    c. Clean install Windows on that disk.
    d. Restore your image of C: in place of the new Windows partition created by the installation.
    e. Run Startup Repair.

As in any such action, create appropriate backups before starting.

dalchina, Nov 8, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2016
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    An MSR partition is associated with a GPT configured drive, so make sure the one you want to put an EFI partition on is GPT. I have seen a system with the EFI partition after the OS partition.

The current EFI partition, if your system has one, should be visible in disk Management. If you don't show one your install may not be UEFI.

Saltgrass, Nov 8, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    You could post a screenshot of Disk Management before starting- and preferably one using a 3rd party partition manager such as Minitool Partition Wizard as the 16 Mb System partition isn't shown by the former. Also check whether your PC supports UEFI or not.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help Restoring EFI and MSR Partitions - Similar Threads - Need Help Restoring

2. What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?: Rather than reinstalling I want to learn about Windows utitlities and the Command Line. I'm assuming that between the 3 partitions that I removed, the recovery partition is the least necessary. I haven't tried to restore it. Here's what I've done so far to recreate the efi...
  3. What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the process of recovering from deleting the recovery, efi and msr partitions?: Rather than reinstalling I want to learn about Windows utitlities and the Command Line. I'm assuming that between the 3 partitions that I removed, the recovery partition is the least necessary. I haven't tried to restore it. Here's what I've done so far to recreate the efi...
  4. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  5. Restoring efi SYSTEM partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restoring efi SYSTEM partition: Currently if I restore only one partition at a time with Acronis the efi SYSTEM partition is missing some data, side note restoring whole drive works however.But my question is:If I used bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak first and latter on a blank formatted 260MB formatted fat32...
  6. Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help deleting extra EFI partitions.: After installing/trying multiple distros I have a lot of EFI/Recovery partitions in my Drive, I want to delete all but the windows one as I looking to clean/organize my drive. submitted by /u/ArVtheBest [link] [comments]...
  7. Missing MSR partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing MSR partition: I have performed a new installation (with new motherboard, processor and SSD) of Windows 10 Professional (from an installation USB created today using the Download Tool on the Microsoft website). The installation appeared to go smoothly, but only the primary partition...
  8. Issues with MSR Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues with MSR Partition: Hi all, I'm trying to update Windows 10 (build 1809) to the latest build 18890 in 20H1. I'm getting errors stating that it can't write to the system reserved partition, which I am aware was deleted some time ago. I haven't had any problems with Windows until this. Attached...
  9. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...
  10. Help with EFI partition recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with EFI partition recovery: I was using a disk clone program and for some reason it wiped out the EFI partition on both the source and the target, the machine cannot boot. I downloaded the ISO image, put it on a flash drive, configured BIOS to look at flash and it does not boot off of it. Any other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msr and efi partitions restore