Windows 10: Need help to change HDD

Discus and support Need help to change HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, i got a new pc (2nd hand) and i was trying to put my HDD on it, the other HDD had windows 10 and mine too, but when i put mine, the pc doens't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Renato09, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Renato09 Win User

Need help to change HDD

Hi, i got a new pc (2nd hand) and i was trying to put my HDD on it, the other HDD had windows 10 and mine too, but when i put mine, the pc doens't makes the boot, alrteady went to the BIOS to change the boot disk and still the same, it shows to insert the boot disk drive... is there a way to make it work? or enable the "windows boot manager"? because tried in other pc and with windows boot drive it did the boot

THx

:)

Renato09, Oct 10, 2016
  2. Need#Help Win User

Adding Birthdays and Holidays to Windows 10 Mail App

If someone knows how to add holidays and birthdays to the Windows 10 Mail App, PLEASE tell me how.

Thank you!

Need#Help, Oct 10, 2016
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Changing the primary drive.

Hi,

Changing the primary drive from SSD to HDD is possible by changing the path location of each drive. Since all apps are being downloaded on the C drive by default, you need to change the HDD to C drive to have all the apps in the hard drive. These type of
    changes need a technician to assist you to avoid risks and conflicts. We suggest contacting your device manufacturer directly for assistance to perform the said changes.

As for the files, after setting your HDD to C drive, you can create a new folder to store all the music you want in it.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Oct 10, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Need help to change HDD

Welcome to the forum you put your win10 hd in as a second drive or as the main boot drive on its own its not clear. If its been installed on another pc then it wont boot as all the drives will be wrong so it wont work the license wont be valid either so it will refuse to active as its different hardware

Samuria, Oct 11, 2016
  5. Renato09 Win User
    I know, but i had this disk in a HP all in one and i tried it on a asus pc and in the BIOS i found "windows boot manager" and it worked i was wondering if there was a way to activate or find this "windows boot manager" on this BIOS

Renato09, Oct 11, 2016
  6. Renato09 Win User
    Is there a way to erase the drivers installed without formating?

Renato09, Oct 11, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    My guess is the other two computers the drive worked in were UEFI which will boot a GPT partitioned drive. The 2nd hand computer it is failing in is a legacy BIOS computer that will only boot MBR partitioned drives.

"Windows boot manager" is applicable to UEFI only.

NavyLCDR, Oct 11, 2016
  8. Renato09 Win User

Need help to change HDD

So if i change my BIOS to UEFI can i access to the windows boot manager and might work?

Renato09, Oct 11, 2016
  9. thekelt Win User
    You didn't mention if you set the one drive to slave via the dip switch jumpers. You can't have two similar Win systems trying to boot. Disimilar versions yes, like XP, Win7, Win10 etc. on separate partitions or drives.. But if a drive is set to slave and is bootable it won't boot and defer to drive 0. So software tagged by drive 0 will work but software on drive 1 will not as it's in a different registry system. There may be some other conditions when the new drive tries to boot on an alien system and may not recognize the hardware. Cheers.

thekelt, Oct 12, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Dip switch jumpers ? that went out with PATA drives.

CountMike, Oct 12, 2016
  11. thekelt Win User
    Maybe so but I still use old drives that have jumpers, and he didn't say, so you take a big assumption, just in case. Cheers.

thekelt, Oct 13, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Here's how to tell if you need to change master/slave jumpers on the hard drive.

If your computer uses these cables to connect the hard drives to motherboard, then yes:

Need help to change HDD [​IMG]

If you are using these cables, then no:

Need help to change HDD [​IMG]

Ignoring the possibility of SCSI here.

NavyLCDR, Oct 13, 2016
  13. Need help to change HDD

The computer is already a registered Windows 10 device. If the same edition is on both drives it will activate fine. The hard drive has nothing to do with activation anymore anyway. It is all about the computer's registration (basically, the motherboard's serial numbers).

Cbarnhorst, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Need help to change HDD

1. Need help to change HDD - Similar Threads - Need help change

2. Need help to unlock hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help to unlock hdd: I do not have bitlocker key and my hdd is locked. i am not able to find anywhere. is there any way to get my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-to-unlock-hdd/76f8c89b-a11e-4d99-b5e5-c9f52b30398a
  3. Need help to unlock hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help to unlock hdd: I do not have bitlocker key and my hdd is locked. i am not able to find anywhere. is there any way to get my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-to-unlock-hdd/76f8c89b-a11e-4d99-b5e5-c9f52b30398a
  4. Need help to unlock hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Need help recovering data on hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help recovering data on hdd: I recently installed the windows 21H1 update and I went to click on my common folder in steam D:Program Files x86\Steam\steamapps\common and it said folder is missing or moved. Now I cannot use any games in steam as the entire steam library is downloaded to there. It appears...
  6. needed to change hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    needed to change hdd to ssd: hi!! may i know which ssd hard disk is suitable for lenovo yoga 520 as when i transfer some file it is too slow already please give suggestion thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needed-to-change-hdd-to-ssd/95a19438-5ab8-4ea4-be9c-80700a597c5d
  7. Need help with permissions on new HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with permissions on new HDD: I just installed a new 2TB SeaGate HDD as a storage drive to go along with my 256gb SSD and I am trying to make the drive writeable. I have put ownership of the drive under the administrator (me) but still when I add folders they are not writeable and I am unable to change...
  8. Need help with Hdd issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with Hdd issue.: Recently I took.backup of windows in my HDD and formatted pc but after that when I try to plug it in,it is not detected it shows in device manager tho(I already tried trouble shooting and updating drivers) any idea what's wrong and how can I fix it. submitted by...
  9. Need help How to use WIN to HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help How to use WIN to HDD: [img] I dont know why but i cant get the Next Button to work what am i doing wrong ? thank you 121896
  10. Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD: I'm trying to migrate my Win10x64 OS and apps (not concerned about data) to a larger HDD by using several software apps (Acronis, AOEMI Partition Assistant) in Clone or Copy or Migrate modes. So far, none of them will boot when the older boot drive is disconnected or...