Windows 10: Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!!

Discus and support Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, i have a laptop which has 2 SSD and both are GPT. I first installed some systems on the 1st one. Now i'm trying to do same on the 2nd, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by unko, Dec 22, 2017.

1. unko Win User

Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!!

Hello, i have a laptop which has 2 SSD and both are GPT. I first installed some systems on the 1st one. Now i'm trying to do same on the 2nd, but the old good trick "remove all SSD but the one you install on" cannot work here since i'd have to tear the laptop everytime (it's very hard to open it and since it's aluminium, it bends it..!); so i'm stuck : Windows 10 installer does NOT create a new EFI partition on 2nd SSD and use the one on the 1st SSD. I guess i can manually create/copy the EFI parition, but how? And the, will Windows use it automatically? Hope you can help ^^

:)

2. No "Windows Boot Manager" entry of Boot Configuration of UEFI for Surface Pro 4

The only way I'm aware Windows Boot Manager will not set itself first to boot on a UEFI System is if it was installed in CSM or Legacy Mode. You can tell this in Disk Management by the presence of the legacy Active flag on System partition and lack of an
    EFI System partition, or type msinfo in Start search to look in System Information at BIOS mode.

Sometimes the settings in the UEFI firmware are sparse and the only determinative for UEFI install is if the installation media is booted as a UEFI device and all partitions deleted down to Unallocated Space to reset if necessary the disk formatting from
    MBR to GPT required for UEFI install.

The normal UEFI settings in BIOS are CSM, Legacy BIOS, UEFI, and under Boot Priority order. If you want to report back those settings choices we can help interpret them.

If the Windows Boot Manager was deleted from the list then you may need to Reset UEFI Firmware to Defaults using that choice wherever it appears - check all tabs.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 22, 2017
  3. windows 10 professional not finding one of two internal hard drives

Did you try setting the UEFI firmware or BIOS setup to another SATA setting than RAID? RAID can be problematic so I would avoid it.

Then set Windows drive as first to boot if a Legacy BIOS, or Windows Boot Manager (which is invoked when Windows is installed UEFI to GPT disk) if you have the newer UEFI firmware.

If installing on a UEFI system and hard drive has been previously booted as a Legacy MBR drive, then boot the installation media as a UEFI device, during install delete all partitions to Unallocated Space to clear formatting and invoke Windows Boot Manager
    as first boot device.

I hope this helps.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 22, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

YOu have to tell the boot loader how to find those different Operating Systems. They expect to be only on one drive, not on multiple hard drives. Why not just use a Virtual Machine, instead of hard loading all of these different OS's? It is going to end up corrupting the main OS and then continue down the line.

bro67, Dec 22, 2017
  5. unko Win User
    This is not for testing, i'm using them all. So no virtual machine. So, ok i gotta tell boot loader how to find them. But HOW..?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do you absolutely need to select the drive to boot from using the UEFI boot menu selection? What is the issue that you can't just have the computer always boot from drive 0 and put boot menu entries into the BCD on drive 0 for the OS(s) that is installed on drive 1? Here is my BCD, Windows 7 Home and Pro are installed on a second drive:

Code: Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier {bootmgr} device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1 path \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI description Windows Boot Manager locale en-us inherit {globalsettings} default {current} resumeobject {2b87e6c5-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} displayorder {current} {22603e1a-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} {1dc1af23-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} toolsdisplayorder {memdiag} timeout 3 Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {current} device partition=C: path \Windows\system32\winload.efi description Windows 10 Pro locale en-us inherit {bootloadersettings} isolatedcontext Yes allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075 osdevice partition=C: systemroot \Windows resumeobject {2b87e6c5-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {22603e1a-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} device partition=G: path \Windows\system32\winload.efi description Windows 7 Home locale en-us inherit {bootloadersettings} osdevice partition=G: systemroot \Windows resumeobject {22603e19-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} nx OptIn detecthal Yes Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {1dc1af23-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} device partition=H: path \Windows\system32\winload.efi description Windows 7 Pro locale en-us inherit {bootloadersettings} osdevice partition=H: systemroot \Windows resumeobject {1dc1af22-d6d3-11e7-8cc4-10c37ba1c52b} nx OptIn detecthal Yes[/quote]
    Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!! [​IMG]

If you absolutely must create an EFI system partition on the second drive, then you would shrink the OS partition by 150 MB, use diskpart to create an EFI system partition on the drive and assign a drive letter to it, then use the bcdboot command to write both the bootloader files and the BCD to it.

NavyLCDR, Dec 23, 2017
  7. unko Win User
    How do you read the Windows Boot Manager that way? Anyway i'm actually having an issue which is more important right now than having UEFI on the other disk.. I'll make another thread for this.

8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Open command prompt (admin) and type in : bcdedit.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 24, 2017
  9. kamalaggi Win User
    On some bioses you can disable the hard drive. Check if your bios has this option. That way you can disable 1 ssd when installing 2nd os.

kamalaggi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!! - Similar Threads - Need help manage

2. Need help for disk conversation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help for disk conversation: Hello Sir i have a 500 gb hard disk in my laptop i converted the hard disk into GPT and made two partitions with a partition assistant 3rd party software, and installed two windows windows 10 and windows 11in both partitions with dual boot, But when I'm using the EasyBCD...
  3. Disk Management help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Management help: [Ultra noob alert] Guys, I'm stuck in a pickle and really need some help to sort out this situation. This is what happened: I wanted to install an SSD to my laptop so before doing that, I found that my previous HDD (disk 0) is an MBR partition type and I had formatted my new...
  4. Need helping dealing with multi monitor + TV setup

Need helping dealing with multi monitor + TV setup: So I have two monitors plugged via DP, a 4k 60 Hz and a 1440p 165 Hz, and also an LG OLED TV plugged via HDMI. The TV is in the next room, the HDMI cable goes through the wall. What I want to know is is there a way to quickly switch from a dual monitor setup with the TV...
  5. 100% Disk help needed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk help needed: So, my task manager shows that the dis is 100% and is decreasing my performance. In my Task manager, i see: 1. User host font driver consuming my memory and disk 2 system And some more NOTE: I TRIED ALL PROCESSES LIKE. DISABLING SOME THINGS AND ALL. Tried virtual memory...
  6. Disk management help

Disk management help: Ok, so I’m trying to shrink volume in my C drive and make a new partition and I press shrink (50 gigs) and the windows closed but nothing shows anything is happening and the unallocated part isn’t showing up. Is there a fix for this? submitted by /u/Seedankisthema [link]...
  7. Need help with Disk Management - Windows 10 Pro / 2TB Limitations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help with Disk Management - Windows 10 Pro / 2TB Limitations: Dear Forum, Seeking help to create a simple disk drive or create an extended volume, My 1TB SATA dik drive crashed and I installed a New Toshiba 5TB SATA drive. Performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro / 32 Bit version / Primary disk drive partition/volume @2TB, but cant...
  8. Need help understanding Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help understanding Disk Management: [img] This is from my Dell Tablet. What are all the Disk 0 Partitions? They are all showing empty. Can I delete them to free up more disk space? 101214
  9. Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi): Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support Right now my HDD is formatted with MBR, windows 10 is installed in it, and have ~700GB of unallocated space wich i cant use due to partition...
  10. NEED HELP: How to repair an UEFI bootable windows 10 disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NEED HELP: How to repair an UEFI bootable windows 10 disk: Scenario2 days ago I did a windows update that didn't require a reboot. I left the computer on over night while going to bed.When I tried to wake up my computer from sleep the day after it wouldn't start. It was going in some kind of loop without showing anything on the...