Windows 10: Need Help Turning Off Cortana / Ask Me Anything

Discus and support Need Help Turning Off Cortana / Ask Me Anything in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I need help turning off Cortana / Ask Me Anything and restoring the OLD Search Box in Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1703 OS Build 15063.138 Up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by planet99, Apr 11, 2017.

1. planet99 Win User

Need Help Turning Off Cortana / Ask Me Anything

I need help turning off Cortana / Ask Me Anything and restoring the OLD Search Box in

Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1703 OS Build 15063.138

Up until about three days ago, I had a search box in my task bar that would allow me to search on my computer, similar to how the search box worked in Windows 7. I believe I had turned off Cortana somehow.

But since about three days ago, the search box changed to "Ask Me Anything" and it appears that it is using Cortana and searching for WEB RESULTS instead of searching on my local computer for files or apps or other local assets.

I have tried to disable it and followed several of the methods posted online, but to no avail.

For instance, I went into Cortana, and turned all the sliders to off, but Cortana still is there and I don't get the older style search box back.

I also went into settings, General, change privacy options, and slid all of them to off.

I went into settings, Speech, inking and typing and I turned off the "Turn on speech services and typing suggestions" button (it is now a medium gray color).

I can't find any other wya to turn off cortana *Mad

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Or if there is any way that I can get the old search functionality back where I am searching locally instead of online, that would be greatly appreciated, too.

:)

planet99, Apr 11, 2017
  2. RoboJ Win User

Can not turn of Get Cortana on your phone

How do I turn off get Cortana on your phone, when you tap on Ask me anything in cortana

RoboJ, Apr 11, 2017
  3. Start Menu Not Working After Update 01_30_2016

I am having the same problem with start menu cannot type into Cortana search and it keeps asking me what can I help you with today? and flickers asking over and over again so I cannot access anything on my start menu because Cortana is in the way should
    I just turn off Cortana? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this problem!!

Sbarela_10., Apr 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You can search for documents, videos, photos etc with Cortana's search bar. But.. only items which are indexed, and no executable files.

Need Help Turning Off Cortana / Ask Me Anything [​IMG]

See the pale blue box at the top? That's how to select document search.
    The result is found in the contents of a txt file in an indexed location on drive H.

More options if you use Filters at the top.

There is no 'old' search box as you hope. If you turn Cortana off, you get no search box.

Now, if you want to do file an folder search REALLY fast and neatly almost everywhere, try a 3rd party program (free).

Locate32
    Ultrasearch
    Everything by Void tools.

These give 'instant' find-as-you-type results, let you choose where to search, what date range, what size range, what extension .... etc etc but not content search- at least not indexed content.

If you still want to turn Cortana off, have a look in the Tutorials section.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2017
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Click on link below. *Smile

Turn On or Off Cortana Personalization in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

OldMike65, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help Turning Off Cortana / Ask Me Anything - Similar Threads - Need Help Turning

2. Cortana keep asking me.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana keep asking me.: After reinstalling my Windows 10 Home SL, my Cortana keeps asking me for Online speech recognition permission. Can you help me pls? *I can't see Cortana on category selection*[ATTACH]...
  3. CORTANA BAR SHOWING "TYPE HERE TO SEARCH" BUT NOT "ASK ME ANYTHING".

in Cortana
    CORTANA BAR SHOWING "TYPE HERE TO SEARCH" BUT NOT "ASK ME ANYTHING".: HELLO, I just bought a new laptop with win 10 and came to know about cortana. While i was watching its tutorials on youtube, I saw that in the search bar, they have got "ASK ME ANYTHING" written there.... but in mine one, there is "TYPE HERE TO SEARCH" wriiten and when i...
  4. What happened to Cortana's "Ask Me Anything" input box?

in Cortana
    What happened to Cortana's "Ask Me Anything" input box?: Windows 10 used to have a neat feature in that you could type directly to Cortana by just pressing the Win key and either local or Bing lookup would give calculation, currency conversion or another type of answer. What happened to this feature? Calculation screenshot from...
  5. What happened to Cortana's "Ask Me Anything"?

in Cortana
    What happened to Cortana's "Ask Me Anything"?: Windows 10 used to have a neat feature in that you could type directly to Cortana by just pressing the Win key and either local or Bing lookup would give calculation, currency conversion or another type of answer. What happened to this feature? Calculation screenshot from...
  6. turn off cortana

in Cortana
    turn off cortana: Since 1903 update moments ago in windows 10 that annoying, useless Cortana is back on. How to turn OFF cortana yet keep the search button/bar. Or, even better yet, how to uninstall version 1903...
  7. turn off cortana

turn off cortana: Just updated to Win10 v14366. How do I turn off Cortana? 53946
  8. Turn off Cortana

Turn off Cortana: I want to turn off Cortana but it is not listed in the Local Group Policy. 104369
  9. how to turn off cortana asking me to put it on my phone?

how to turn off cortana asking me to put it on my phone?: For the love of god how in the world do I turn off the Cortana message that keeps asking me to put her on my smartphone. I don't own a smartphone where I can put Cortana on it, I keep hitting "not now" but everytime I open Cortana the message is back, the thing takes up...
  10. Cortana Ask Me Anything not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Ask Me Anything not working: Has anyone got an issue with the Cortana search 'Ask me anything'? Suddenly on both my machines I notice this morning I will type something like 'Reliability History' and it will display the usual results. But then if I do it again I get nothing. I have to log out and...