Windows 10: Need help understanding Disk Management

Discus and support Need help understanding Disk Management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] This is from my Dell Tablet. What are all the Disk 0 Partitions? They are all showing empty. Can I delete them to free up more disk space?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by milford, Dec 28, 2017.

1. milford Win User

Need help understanding Disk Management

Need help understanding Disk Management [​IMG]

This is from my Dell Tablet. What are all the Disk 0 Partitions? They are all showing empty. Can I delete them to free up more disk space?

:)

milford, Dec 28, 2017

2. Need help in understanding what pinning my contacts to the task bar is all about

I've got the Fall Creators Update on my desktop. I've pinned 3 of my contacts to the task bar, but I just don't get what doing that does for me. For example, I've pinned my wife, one of my contacts, to the taskbar. If I click on her icon in the task bar
    what I see her picture, name and 3 buttons (?), labeled People,
    Mail and Skype. Under that is the text:

Combine duplicate contacts for this person to see all the apps you have in common.

OK, now what? I've clicked that "Combine duplicate contacts ..." a couple of times, which opens another window labeled People and has "Links for <my wife's name>". I just don't get it. I've clicked on icons in the Linked contacts and Suggested links, but
    I'm just like what in heck am I supposed to do here? And clicking on the arrow button, which I think would be something like Save, well that does nothing at all.

Sorry, just don't get it. This seems kind of pointless. I could use help trying to figure out what this is about and how I'm supposed to use it.

Doctor-Who, Dec 28, 2017
  3. Hazzard V Win User
    Need help in understanding what pinning my contacts to the task bar is all about

At the moment the my people feature is very limited. It needs more third party integration specifically Facebook messenger and maybe even WhatsApp as those are more widely used messaging platforms however I find this unlikely since Facebook contacts don't
    sync with the people app which is required for the My people thing to work

However, my people is the perfect solution in my case as me and both my sisters use skype to carry out regular conversations. Hence I have both my sister's contacts pinned to my taskbar. In regards to contacts linking, each of my sister has her outlook contact
    linked with her respective skype contact. Now all I have to do to continue a skype conversation is click on their icons and a mini window pops up with my skype chat history with them and ability to send a new message directly from within the mini window. I
    no longer have to open up the skype app and navigate to the specific conversation.

So unless your wife uses skype, I don't see the my people app benefiting you. I mean you cant really carry out regular conversations using email. If both of you use skype, then the my people app could be what you are after. Just one click and it begins a
    conversation with her.

Hazzard V, Dec 28, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

1st is your EFI system partition, do NOT remove, you need it to boot.

2nd is an OEM (Dell) Diagnostics partition - can be removed if you are happy to rely only on BIOS diagnostics.

3rd (and never shown in Disk Management) is a 16 MB MSR (could be 128 MB but I'm going to guess your system is old enough that it is only 16). Microsoft wants you to leave it alone. Some members here at TF will disregard that and remove it. I toe the MS party line and leave it. You can find the size using Diskpart - let us know if you need any tips on using it.

Partitions 4 and 6 are Recovery Partitions that very likely include the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Only one of them will be active - you can execute "reagentc /info" at an elevated (admin) command prompt to find out which one is active. Up to you whether to keep one or both, depending on whether you need the Windows recover tools or simply rely on a backup/imaging program to recover from problems.

7th is your Dell recovery image for resetting to out of the box state. I opted not to keep mine as I have a well stored Macrium Reflect image of how mine came out of the box and I wanted to reclaim the disk space. IOW, I feel this partition is optional but you should make up your own mind now that you know what it is for.

Ironically, none of them shown are empty, only the one NOT shown is likely empty.

Word Man, Dec 28, 2017
  5. milford Win User
    Thanks for the info. *Smile

milford, Dec 28, 2017
  6. Just how much space would you gain by removing those "extra" partitions? Not much!
    How can you live with a C: drive that holds only 29 GB?
    Buy a 1000 GB drive for cheap and you'll have no need to "free up more disk space".

margrave55, Dec 28, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    Can you even stuff a TB drive into a Dell Venue 8???

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help understanding Disk Management - Similar Threads - Need help understanding

2. Need help understanding system backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help understanding system backup: I really have no knowledge of this but I want to make sure I get it right. This is what I understand so far. Please correct me 1. Installing the macrium reflect in the laptop 2. Run the programme to make a clone. What is the image making option though? 3. Backup and save 4....
  3. Need help to understand virtual whatever

Need help to understand virtual whatever: Don't know if I'm in some twilight zone or what.. But installing latest Windows 10 offline with USB and deleting everything+clean install on dell PC from 2011.. How is possible that I'm not able to open device manager??? Can't connect to virtual network .. ????? Anything...
  4. Need help understanding digital license

Need help understanding digital license: A few years ago I got a laptop with Windows 10 Pro then a few months ago I got an old PC from a friend. On said PC I signed into my Microsoft account. In the Activation section of Update & Security, both computers say that Windows 10 Pro is installed with the message:...
  5. Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium: I've spent countless hours trying to research this so I can understand it and I'm still having issues. If I use software such as Macrium, I can clone my C drive to an SSD so that if my C drive were to fail, I could pop in the SSD and that's it. It's basically like nothing...
  6. Disk Management help

Disk Management help: [Ultra noob alert] Guys, I'm stuck in a pickle and really need some help to sort out this situation. This is what happened: I wanted to install an SSD to my laptop so before doing that, I found that my previous HDD (disk 0) is an MBR partition type and I had formatted my new...
  7. Disk management help

Disk management help: Ok, so I’m trying to shrink volume in my C drive and make a new partition and I press shrink (50 gigs) and the windows closed but nothing shows anything is happening and the unallocated part isn’t showing up. Is there a fix for this? submitted by /u/Seedankisthema [link]...
  8. Need help understanding a crash report

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need help understanding a crash report: I've never used these online forums before and I'm not sure how to go about asking for help but my windows has been crashing a lot lately and I have updated all my drivers, factory reset the system, and I think i may have a faulty cpu or motherboard. To my knowledge I have...
  9. Understand my disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understand my disk management: Hello, Something strange happened. I installed some new drives into a box I'm building, one of the drives is a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500gb. Start up took ages and then when I went to disk management I get this, (please see attached) Wow I dont understand why windows put...
  10. Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!!: Hello, i have a laptop which has 2 SSD and both are GPT. I first installed some systems on the 1st one. Now i'm trying to do same on the 2nd, but the old good trick "remove all SSD but the one you install on" cannot work here since i'd have to tear the laptop everytime (it's...