Windows 10: Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Discus and support Need help with a clean Windows 10 install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rolldog, Nov 27, 2016.

1. rolldog Win User

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these problems, but it's only become worse. Now, whenever I try a clean install, my SSD now has 4 partitions on it and when Windows boots up on my optical drive, it won't let me remove all of the previous partitions it created to use as a recovery drive. Currently, I don't have anything on the drive, just all of these partitions, which I'd like to get rid of instead of adding 2 more. Does anyone know how I can remove these partitions before installing Windows 10 Pro again? When I boot off of the Windows 10 disk and it comes up to the screen for me to choose where I want it installed, it shows all of these partitions, but it doesn't allow me to remove any of the partitions on my drive. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are the options I've given when booting from the Windows 10 disk:

Total Size Free Space
    Drive 2 Unallocated Space 451.00MB 451.00MB
    Drive 2 Partition 1 100.00MB 95.00MB System
    Drive 2 Partition 2 127.00MB 127.00MB MSR (Reserved)
    Drive 2 Partition 3 236.3 GB 236.1 GB Dynamic
    Drive 2 Partition 5 799.00MB 784.00MB Recovery
    Drive 2 Partition 6 790.00MB 775.00MB Recovery

When each partition is selected, none give me the option to delete the partition nor extend the partition. I'm only given an option to format Partition 1, 3, 5, and 6, but I'm not able to remove any of the partitions.

:)

rolldog, Nov 27, 2016
  2. garybear89, Nov 27, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    I need to do a clean install of win 10 with a digital win 10 pro licenes

To check if your computer is activated;

Right click Start, click Command Prompt(Admin)

enter slmgr /xpr Then hit the Enter key

It will tell you when it expires.

lacrumb, Nov 27, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

HI there.

When you do your clean install, do you actually delete all the partitions on the SSD in the Windows installer before selecting the location for the new install and clicking next?

When your at the screen to select the install drive, you can click on each partition and select the delete option. When you've done them all your left with unallocated space. You can then create a new partition and click next. Don't alter the size. Windows will automatically create the required partitions.

As for boot order, you need to go into BIOS and change the boot order there. I am unable to give you specific instructions for that as every BIOS is different.

swarfega, Nov 27, 2016
  5. rolldog Win User
    I just updated my post to be more specific as to where I'm having a problem. When it lists the partitions, I'm not able to delete any of them.

rolldog, Nov 27, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Try pressing Shift + F10 at the screen with all the partitions listed during the Windows setup to open a command prompt. Then run:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk <disk number> - <disk number> is the number of the SSD provided by the previous command
    clean - the clean command will erase the entire SSD
    exit
    exit

Then refresh the partition list. I doubt this will work, though, because it sounds like your SSD is getting locked somehow during the Windows install.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2016
  7. rolldog Win User
    It worked! You are awesome! Thank you very much! I've been trying to figure this out since yesterday. Now, if I can just figure out how to install Windows 10 as a "true" admin allowing me to access everything without having all of these messed up permissions and only me as a single user, then I'll be in business. I think I should probably keep a local profile instead of linking my Microsoft account, but I don't want to lose any functionality, like streaming from my Xbox which is linked to my Microsoft account via Xbox Live.

I have a 256GB SSD that I want to keep the Windows 10 on, a 500GB SSD to install my applications on, and 2 x 1TB SSDs setup in RAID0 to relocate My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, and My Music, etc to. I had no problem running things this way when using Windows 7, but in Windows 10, over time the permissions start getting messed up. I'm not sure if I should relocate all of my data directories individually or just relocate the entire user directory to the 1TB SSDs. For some reason this might be too complicated for Windows 10 to do because what ends up happening is somehow a lose access to some of the data on my boot drive, like left over files after uninstalling something, and the only way I could regain access to it is to change the permissions and give myself ownership of these directories. This is when everything starts getting messed up.

Thanks a ton for the advice. Hopefully I won't have to do another clean install. Maybe I should set everything up to create a restore point every hour.

rolldog, Nov 27, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I would not disable UAC (user account control) nor enable the built-in administrator account. Microsoft has made UAC almost mandatory, access to several apps like Cortana and Edge will be disabled if UAC is also disabled, and it really is a good safety net to keep rogue programs from having administrator control with the only inconvenience to the user being have to click the yes button when asked if they want to do something at the administrator level. The built-in administrator account is also a good safety net in the event the user's normal administrator account gets corrupt and unable to log in. Many people on this forum have found themselves up the creek because they were using the built-in administrator account for daily use.

Nothing is preventing you from having both a local user account on the computer and a separate account linked to a Microsoft login.

As far as moving data files to the HDD - I like to use directory junctions. I must admit, I have not used this on the "library" folders like the Documents folder under your C:\Users\Username folder. I should try it. But I use it for my media center program, Kodi. The default path to the configuration and database files is C:\Users\Username\AppDate\Roaming\Kodi. I used a directory junction under each user account so the actual Kodi folder is under C:\Users\Public\Kodi and the link to that folder appears in the default location for each user.

The command prompt command is:
    mklink /J <link> <target>

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install - Similar Threads - Need help clean

2. i need help about clean windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help about clean windows installation: my C drive is old MBR HDD and i need to fresh install windows on E drive GPT SSDcan someone tell me what are the right steps to do a clean installation?...
  3. i need help about clean windows installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i need help about clean windows installation: my C drive is old MBR HDD and i need to fresh install windows on E drive GPT SSDcan someone tell me what are the right steps to do a clean installation?...
  4. [HELP] Need to clean install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Need to clean install windows: Hi all, I got new laptop where windows 10 is activated. Now I want clean install windows 10. Without losing windows 10 activation how can I do this ? Also wanted to complete wipe c drive data and keep other drive data as it is? Please guide me submitted by /u/Santhire55...
  5. Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation: My PC's OS (Windows 10, 64-bit) is not booting and it was recommended that I download the Windows 10 Disc Image ISO. Following the link on this subreddit, I was able to follow the instructions and download the ISO, but it can't seem to transfer it to a USB, even though the...
  6. Need help with Boot Manager and installing SSD for clean Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help with Boot Manager and installing SSD for clean Windows 10 install: I just got my new Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N and it has a 1TB Hdd as the main drive which is slow. I bought a Sabrent rocket 256gb m.2-2280 SSD to use that as my main OS boot drive and I was going to use the 1TB as a seconary for storage. Seems any cloning from the 1TB 4096 to...
  7. Need help in clean installation of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help in clean installation of windows 10: My computer came with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and then did upgrade to windows 10 Recently wanted to do the clean installation of windows 10 so downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft and created iso file of it. while clean installation process found this Name Total Size Free...
  8. Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10

Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10: Hi everybody; I downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 Home 32/64 bit and tried to do a clean install but it didn't accept my Windows 7 OEM key. Any idea anyone? I really do not like upgrades, always do clean install. Henk 20327
  9. need clean install windows 10

need clean install windows 10: This was a windows 7 upgraded to 10. The pc has had a number of issue since the upgrade. Some issues i have been able to fix but some not and others are developing or worsening. I have had a number of crashes from iqrl less than or not eaqual to nonresposive pages both...
  10. Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home: Hello All, I am licensed to run Windows 10 Home Edition on my PC, but I tried to "upgrade" to Pro without a license. It installed but it would not activate. I need to go back to Home Edition, so I tried everything I could think of but it would not work, so I tried a clean...