Windows 10: Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, I am licensed to run Windows 10 Home Edition on my PC, but I tried to "upgrade" to Pro without a license. It installed but it would not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rocky, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Rocky Win User

Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home

Hello All,
    I am licensed to run Windows 10 Home Edition on my PC, but I tried to "upgrade" to Pro without a license. It installed but it would not activate. I need to go back to Home Edition, so I tried everything I could think of but it would not work, so I tried a clean install from a USB stick but it wanted to install Pro Edition. I need to get back to my Home Edition, and I need help.

:)

Rocky, Nov 14, 2015

2. Can I use the Home product key to activate Windows.

Windows 10 ISO is a universal one,you can use it to install windows 10 home too.

If you have already installed pro you might need to do a clean Installation of home.

When you are doing a clean Installation it would automatically install home if windows home came preinstalled.

[Fix] Unable to Select Windows 10 Pro Edition During Clean Installation - AskVG

If there is an ei.cfg file in the sources folder remove it.

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 14, 2015
  3. Clean install of Windows 10 Home

Yes, you can reinstall it without paying again:

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will
    be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.

So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key or use the reset function in Windows 10.

If you are prompted to enter a product key, click 'I don't have a key' and 'Do this later'

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How
    to Prepare Bootable Install Media for Windows 10 - DVD, USB or SD Card

Step 3: How to: Perform a clean install of
    Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Nov 14, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

I do not think it's possible to go to Pro if always had Home editions,most likely need to purchase a key. Even like upgrade from Win 7,8,8.1 what ever edition you had is what edition going to upgrade to with 10.

jds63, Nov 14, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    That's not my problem right now. My problem is I have Windows 10 Pro Edition on my PC and I am not licensed for it, I need to get rid of it and get back to Windows 10 Home Edition. I am going to have to call Microsoft to help me.

Rocky, Nov 15, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    ISO on site here and at MS are going to be the new build 10586, can look here under Windows ISO search or use this and choose appropriate edition. Assume no system image backup ? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

jds63, Nov 15, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Nov 15, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Do you still have the C:\Windows.old folder? If so then try doing a rollback: Windows 10 - Go Back to Previous Windows

It's meant to go back to Win 7 or 8/8.1 after upgrade to Win 10 but should work to go back to the Win 10 Home. Try it, nothing to lose.

If it doesn't work, follow these instructions: Windows 10 - Clean Install

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Missed the part were he said i did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro edition, so he likely lost that windows.old folder.

jds63, Nov 15, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    When doing the clean install you have to either delete the existing partitions and install to the resulting unallocated space or at least reformat the partition you are going to install to. Then if there is no Product Key stored in the computer's bios, it will let you choose which version you want to install. In order to delete the partitions or format the existing partition first, you will want to select the custom install option.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2015
  11. sn00ker Win User
    So why can't you do a clean install of home instead ? Just make sure to delete the partition and reformatted and install home on it

sn00ker, Nov 15, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I did, you're right, rats! Sorry Rocky. Follow the Clean install instructions then I guess.

The download from Techbench says the following:

Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional.

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Won't he still need a product key for Pro since his original was Home ?

jds63, Nov 15, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    He's trying to get back to home from an unactivated 10 Pro.

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, he would if he wanted Pro, but he doesn't want Pro.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Need Help With Clean Install Of Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Need Help Clean

2. i need help about clean windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help about clean windows installation: my C drive is old MBR HDD and i need to fresh install windows on E drive GPT SSDcan someone tell me what are the right steps to do a clean installation?...
  3. [HELP] Need to clean install windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [HELP] Need to clean install windows: Hi all, I got new laptop where windows 10 is activated. Now I want clean install windows 10. Without losing windows 10 activation how can I do this ? Also wanted to complete wipe c drive data and keep other drive data as it is? Please guide me submitted by /u/Santhire55...
  4. Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help with Clean Windows 10 Installation: My PC's OS (Windows 10, 64-bit) is not booting and it was recommended that I download the Windows 10 Disc Image ISO. Following the link on this subreddit, I was able to follow the instructions and download the ISO, but it can't seem to transfer it to a USB, even though the...
  5. Need help with Boot Manager and installing SSD for clean Windows 10 install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help with Boot Manager and installing SSD for clean Windows 10 install: I just got my new Acer Spin 5 SP515-51N and it has a 1TB Hdd as the main drive which is slow. I bought a Sabrent rocket 256gb m.2-2280 SSD to use that as my main OS boot drive and I was going to use the 1TB as a seconary for storage. Seems any cloning from the 1TB 4096 to...
  6. windows 10 Home clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 Home clean install: Hi, I want to do clean install windows10. I have upgraded from Windows7 to Windows10.I got windows 7 from LenovoY570. I would like to know if I do clean install,my windows license works or do I need to buy new license. Please let me know the details. Regards Sateesh...
  7. Need help in clean installation of windows 10

Need help in clean installation of windows 10: My computer came with Windows 8.1 (64-bit) and then did upgrade to windows 10 Recently wanted to do the clean installation of windows 10 so downloaded the windows 10 from microsoft and created iso file of it. while clean installation process found this Name Total Size Free...
  8. Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10

Clean install help needed; Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10: Hi everybody; I downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 Home 32/64 bit and tried to do a clean install but it didn't accept my Windows 7 OEM key. Any idea anyone? I really do not like upgrades, always do clean install. Henk 20327
  9. Need help with a clean Windows 10 install

Need help with a clean Windows 10 install: After using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, then deciding to switch to a local profile, and giving myself Admin privileges, my Windows permissions are so messed up I've decided to start with a clean install. I tried reinstalling Windows hoping to fix some of these...
  10. need clean install windows 10

need clean install windows 10: This was a windows 7 upgraded to 10. The pc has had a number of issue since the upgrade. Some issues i have been able to fix but some not and others are developing or worsening. I have had a number of crashes from iqrl less than or not eaqual to nonresposive pages both...