Windows 10: Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

Discus and support Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rayzen, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Rayzen Win User

Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this excellent, step-by-step YouTube video which was generously submitted by Edwin, however I got stuck at one point, and don't know how to correct it.

When I tried to make the shortcut and got to the point where I put in the location of the item, it gave me the message, "The file C:\%windows%\explorer.exe.microsoftedge;Google Translate cannot be found."

Here's what I did; maybe someone could help me, by finding the mistake in my process:

As suggested in the video, I went to the 'icon finder' website and located an icon for the 'Google Translate' website that I liked, clicked on "More," then saved it to my desktop as a 'Windows .icon' file. It showed up as expected, and when I checked it by right- clicking on it, then going to "Properties," it showed it as being a '.icon' object, so everything so far looked good.

Next, after going to File Explorer -> This PC -> Windows (C): -> Windows, I made a folder called "Icons."

Then I cut & pasted the icon from my desktop into the icon folder which I just made.

Finally, I right-clicked on my desktop, chose "New," "Shortcut"....and there's where my problem arose, because, as stated, I got the message, "The file C:\%windows%\explorer.exe.microsoftedge;Google Translate cannot be found." I must've given the computer an improper pathway to the shortcut. (Note: The blue-colored 'Google Translate' which I appended onto the '%windows%\explorer.exe.microsoftedge;" in this last sentence was actually "Google Translate" but it wouldn't let me paste that, turning it into 'Google Translate,' instead. I don't know how to override that)

I am not real computer-savvy, so my mistake is probably--hopefully--obvious. I tried to follow the YouTube instructions to the letter, after having written them down in a step-by-step fashion, but obviously I screwed up somewhere. Any help which someone might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Rayzen, Nov 28, 2016

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 28, 2016
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Nov 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, the path isn't validly formed. What is it that you wish the shortcut to do? Open your default browser at Google translate? Or something more specific?

Here's a shortcut (extract it from the zip file) that does that. You can of course change the icon.
    Google translate.zip

dalchina, Nov 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts - Similar Threads - Need Help Creating

2. Need a way to disable the "create new desktop" shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need a way to disable the "create new desktop" shortcut: I accidentally pressed some key combination, and all of my app windows disappeared. The only clue that they were running were that there was a brief "minimize" animation. There was no message or notification to indicate that I had created a new desktop, and it took well over...
  3. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  4. Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons and files are missing, unable to create shortcut: Hi everyone. I am having a problem after virus infecting (actually it happened few months ago). After removing the virus, my desktop icons and files on desktop are not shown, while they are still in Desktop folder. Also, I can't create new shortcut. So how can I fix it? Thank...
  5. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  6. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  7. Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows: How to: Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows How to Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows The drives. This tutorial will show you how to change the icon for the Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) context menu item to any icon...
  8. Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop: All my Shortcuts have now appeared in a Desktop file. I want them back on my Desktop Screen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 71579
  9. Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create Desktop Icon Settings Shortcut in Windows 10 Desktop Icon Settings allows you to add or remove and change the icon of the common This PC, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel...
  10. Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open desktop icons or create valid shortcuts: Since the last win 10 update, my desktop Folder icons do not work right. When I left click I get this [img] when I right click I get this [img] The only way I can open a folder (such as Downloads) is to right click, then select open. I have tried creating new...