Windows 10: Need help with Disk Management - Windows 10 Pro / 2TB Limitations

Discus and support Need help with Disk Management - Windows 10 Pro / 2TB Limitations in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dear Forum, Seeking help to create a simple disk drive or create an extended volume, My 1TB SATA dik drive crashed and I installed a New Toshiba 5TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JOHNG2017 Win User

Need help with Disk Management - Windows 10 Pro / 2TB Limitations

Dear Forum,
    Seeking help to create a simple disk drive or create an extended volume, My 1TB SATA dik drive crashed and I installed a New Toshiba 5TB SATA drive. Performed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro / 32 Bit version / Primary disk drive partition/volume @2TB, but cant seem to allocate any of the remaining space. Any suggestions?

Thank You in advance,
    John

:)

JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016
  2. RyanGao Win User

Windows 10 versions CPU limits

Memory limit update:

Version
    Limit on X86
    Limit on X64

Windows 10 Enterprise

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Education

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Pro

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Home

4 GB

128GB

RyanGao, Jul 23, 2016
  3. What's the maximum RAM support for Windows 10 Home Edition and Professional OS

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 10
    The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 10.

Version
    Limit on X86
    Limit on X64

Windows 10 Enterprise

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Education

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Pro

4 GB

2TB

Windows 10 Home

4 GB

128GB

Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases (Windows)

Smoke_Dawg_187, Jul 23, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

topgundcp, Jul 23, 2016
  5. JOHNG2017 Win User
    Thanks for the quick response topgundcp, I never saw the option allowing me to set drive as GPT. If I'm at 2TB are you aware of anything I can do to either convert to GPT? Or am I just at the 2TB limit?

JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    You need to find out if your HP touchmart supports UEFI option to install Windows using UEFI (GPT partition scheme). For data disk (Non OS), you can intitialize it as GPT disk to use the whole 5TB.
    More info: Whats the difference between MBR and GPT? - Hard Drives - Storage

topgundcp, Jul 23, 2016
  7. JOHNG2017 Win User
    I'll contact HP Support and see if there is anything I can do without risking data loss, Thanks for the feedback

JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Since you installed Win10 32Bit, your PC can only use 4GB RAM max. and you have 6GB RAM in your PC, wasting 2GB. In addition, UEFI is only available with 64Bit except for notebook.

topgundcp, Jul 23, 2016
  9. JOHNG2017 Win User
    Topgundcp, I'm in San Jose as well mate, I'm wondering if I should just blast the current install and start from ground zero?

JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    If I were you. Here's what I'd do.
    Go to Fries and get a 120GB SSD, install Windows 64 bit on it so you'll have full use of 6GB RAM(don't need whole lot of space to install Windows 10 x64 and does not matter if install using MBR or GPT). The price for a SSD is around $40~$60 depending on what brand you get. The performance is way faster than a 5TB HD plus it's lot safer to separate Win 10 OS and data. Initialize the 5TB as GPT for data storage.

topgundcp, Jul 23, 2016
  11. JOHNG2017 Win User
    I only have the ability to install 1 SATA drive, its one of those All-In-One touch computers

JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016
  12. JOHNG2017 Win User
    I get what your saying tho, I could return this disk drive and get a 2TB drive if need be (worse case)

JOHNG2017, Jul 23, 2016
  13. topgundcp Win User

I know. You can use the USB port for 5TB as an external HD for data storage. If money is not the problem, get a 250GB SSD (~$99 for Samsung SSD). You'd be surprised how much faster your PC will run.

topgundcp, Jul 23, 2016
  14. Bastet Win User
    Use diskpart to convert the HD to gpt
    Atthe DISKPART prompt,type convert gpt.

If you're not bothered about losing the information on the HDD then follow the info here:

• Go to DOS command line (click on "Start Menu", then "Run", type in "cmd" in textbox, and hit "OK")
      • Type in "DiskPart" in command line.
      • Type in "list disk" in command line to show all disks in this machine.
      • Use "select" to set the focus to the specified partition.
        For example "select disk 1".
      • Use "clean" command to remove MBR disk from the current in-focus disk by zeroing sectors.
      • Go back to Disk Management, you can see disk is "Not Initialized" now.
      • Within Disk Management, right click on disk info, choose "Initialize Disk", You can see disk is "Unallocated" now.
      • Right click on disk info, choose "New Partition…", follow Partition Wizard and format it.

Bastet, Jul 23, 2016
  15. I'm gonna chime in too. Like a few above the posters above said. 32 Bit system in this day and age is like wow. Its an arcane system and most people 1-2 years ago were suprised Microsoft even provided 32 bit support for Win 10. You can get a small SSD for $50 if need be and get a 64 bit version of Windows.

With my opinion thrown out there I just wanted to post this info. Check with HP or whatever means of verifying you have a updated BIOS. This is crucial since you probaly don't have the newest system. I know a Dell laptop for example made in 2012 had 3 BIOS updates to date. So makes sure that part is good to go. Every systems UEFI is setup kinda different so dive into the settings. For me to partition and clean install all I have to do is make sure safe boot is enabled and use Rufus to make a bootable ISO with a GPT partition rather than the other options. This way you can format your HD in the windows 10 clean install setup prior to the actual OS install. Again I don't own your PC or know exactly how old it is and so on. 2010 most all systems support GPT. It basically makes 4 partitions automatically. Formats the hard drive and than installs windows

Swaglife81, Jul 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Need help with Disk Management - Windows 10 Pro / 2TB Limitations - Similar Threads - Need help Disk

2. Disk Management help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Management help: [Ultra noob alert] Guys, I'm stuck in a pickle and really need some help to sort out this situation. This is what happened: I wanted to install an SSD to my laptop so before doing that, I found that my previous HDD (disk 0) is an MBR partition type and I had formatted my new...
  3. Disk management help

Disk management help: Ok, so I’m trying to shrink volume in my C drive and make a new partition and I press shrink (50 gigs) and the windows closed but nothing shows anything is happening and the unallocated part isn’t showing up. Is there a fix for this? submitted by /u/Seedankisthema [link]...
  4. Need help with windows 10 pro

Need help with windows 10 pro: So recently I bought a new PC and on the website it said "Includes Windows 10 Pro" and when it arrived and I set it up windows wasn't even activated.So what the hell am I supposed to?Do I need to buy Windows again? submitted by /u/__vexin__ [link] [comments]...
  5. Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT: I have just added a 4TB disk to my Dell Precision T7500 workstation (running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809) and took the options in Disk Management to use GPT instead of MBR and to create a new Simple Volume. Despite this, the disk is displayed as having only 2TB of...
  6. Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT: I have just added a 4TB disk to my Dell Precision T7500 workstation (running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809) and took the options in Disk Management to use GPT instead of MBR and to create a new Simple Volume. Despite this, the disk is displayed as having only 2TB of...
  7. WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management

WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management: Hey guys, I´ve been googeling this for a few days and can not seem to find the answer. So here goes... Problem: I have a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD that is not showing up in: - disk management - CMD -> diskpart -> list disk It does show up in: - device manager -...
  8. 2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management)

2TB Seagate drive not recognized Windows 10 (no Disk Management): I have a 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk external hard drive that works fine on my previous Windows XP computer (I know, very old) but is not recognized at all on my less-than-a-year old Toshiba laptop (S55-C5274) running Windows 10. I have been through support with Seagate,...
  9. Need help understanding Disk Management

Need help understanding Disk Management: [img] This is from my Dell Tablet. What are all the Disk 0 Partitions? They are all showing empty. Can I delete them to free up more disk space? 101214
  10. Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help to manage multi UEFI disks installs!!: Hello, i have a laptop which has 2 SSD and both are GPT. I first installed some systems on the 1st one. Now i'm trying to do same on the 2nd, but the old good trick "remove all SSD but the one you install on" cannot work here since i'd have to tear the laptop everytime (it's...