Windows 10: Need help with file attributes

Discus and support Need help with file attributes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi and thanks for adding me. I have been searching the internet like crazy and it seems no one knows what i'm asking for. I want to change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by strat4play, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Need help with file attributes

Hi and thanks for adding me. I have been searching the internet like crazy and it seems no one knows what i'm asking for. I want to change the attribute to hidden for one file type. In particular .db files. I don't want to change one file, I want to change all. db files. Its for basically the thumbs.db file. I do not want to change the fact that I want to use thumbnails and go back to icons. There has got to be a way, just cant find it. I have also tried software ie: attribute changer, which will only do an individual file. I also don't want to go into each of my picture folders and change each Thumbs.db individually. Yes I have a lot of folders and pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated and welcome. Thanks to all for your anticipated responses.

:)

strat4play, Mar 31, 2018
  2. Marie Ave Win User

Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, Mar 31, 2018
  3. Relocating the Documents Folder caused it to be renamed as Music Folder

@PlasticHead: No problem. To be able to update the Desktop.ini, you need to unset the HR attributes (Hidden, Read-only) Save the file and then enable the HR attributes back.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 31, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Need help with file attributes

Welcome to the forum's. Are all files in one folder or all over the disk?

Samuria, Mar 31, 2018
  5. All in my pictures folder, but I have 12gb, over 23,000 files in 193 folders within my pics.

strat4play, Mar 31, 2018
  6. ddelo Win User
    Go to your Pictures folder.
    In the View menu, select to show hidden files.
    In the Search field (next to the address bar) type Thumbs.db and wait to get all the Thumbs.db files.
    Click on the first one and then holding the Shift key click on the last one to select them all.
    Then right click and select Properties. In properties check the "Hidden" attribute.

That's it!

ddelo, Mar 31, 2018
  7. That was an easy and elegant solution. Thank you so much

strat4play, Mar 31, 2018
  8. ddelo Win User

You're very welcome! *Smile

ddelo, Mar 31, 2018
  9. I was looking for reg entries or scripts to do it. I was way to ahead of myself. Thanks again

strat4play, Mar 31, 2018
  10. ddelo Win User
    Some things are much easier than we think... Welcome to TenForums!

ddelo, Mar 31, 2018
  11. BogdanH Win User
    Another solution would be... open Command Prompt and type:

Code: attrib /?[/quote] -which will give you possible options for using attrib command.

For example:
    Code: attrib +h d:\photo\thumbs.db /S[/quote] -should change to hidden all thumbs.db files inside photo folder (on drive D: in this case) and it's subfolders.Tryout on smaller amount of files first, though.

BogdanH, Mar 31, 2018
  12. Thanks BogdanH .. thats was I was originally looking for, but the other solution worked well

strat4play, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help with file attributes - Similar Threads - Need help file

2. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  3. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Attributes: Hello. I was wondering if I reset my laptop to its factory settings, will all my files revert back to their original attributes hidden, read only, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-attributes/eb32f7ce-d925-452f-a4a9-7cd8d2d7de28
  4. BitLocker File Attributes?

in Windows 10 Customization
    BitLocker File Attributes?: Win 10 PC Bitlocker Bitlocker P Bitlocker P OneDrive P - = A C:\OneDrive - = AL“” OneDrive = ALOM X: BitLocker - = APBitLocker P X: C:\OneDrive - = ALP“”“” SmartSync BitLocker BitLocker sfc DISM...
  5. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Attributes: Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only". What can I do to stop this? It's so annoying....
  6. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Attributes: Even when I change the file attributes so they are not "read only", every time I shut off the computer and turn it back on, they revert to "read only". What can I do to stop this? It's so annoying....
  7. File Attributes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File Explorer Display Attributes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Display Attributes: In Windows 10 file explorer you can display attributes for a file such as Name, #, Artist, Album etc. for example on an MP3 file. But when I add an additional attribute to the display such as contributing artist or when I sort on an attribute such as Album when I exit out of...
  9. Restore hidden file attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore hidden file attributes: I accidentally made all files of windows to be shown (unhide using properties--> attributes). Now, if I click hide again, the system is hiding folders that are open by default (say documents vs appdata, appdata must be hidden but documents must be visible). Is there a way...
  10. changing file and folder attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    changing file and folder attributes: Hi I have a large number of photos i need to tag, want to use the properties attributes, is there any way of changing the Location attribute, maybe an application ? Title & Subjest were easy....... Thanks 132033