Windows 10: Need help with recovering windows.

Discus and support Need help with recovering windows. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, the hard drive in my laptop was failing, so I used the tool in windows to make a recovery usb drive. Now i have replaced the hard drive, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nistka93, Apr 13, 2016.

1. nistka93 Win User

Need help with recovering windows.

Hi, the hard drive in my laptop was failing, so I used the tool in windows to make a recovery usb drive. Now i have replaced the hard drive, but I can's seem to get the restore drive to work correctly. BIOS lets me run a test on the hard drive, and that all ends up fine, but the drive does not seem to be found by the restore tool. Any ideas on what could be going on?

:)

nistka93, Apr 13, 2016
  2. kkshow Win User

need help recovering purchased apps

Thanks, I have already tried this with no luck. It shows only the two apps that were added yesterday which is making me think there must be another account associated with the first phone I set up. However, I cannot think of any other logins I would have
    used since I try to stay consistent with accounts in order to avoid this exact problem. I'm hoping there is a way for nokia/Microsoft to directly access my phone and see what is going on.

kkshow, Apr 13, 2016
  3. TomBrad95 Win User
    need help recovering purchased apps

Sign in to windowsphone.com using the account that you used when setting up your phone, once you have done that click the phone name in the top right corner, then click purchase history and for each app click reinstall. As these purchases have already
    been completed you will not charged again for the paid apps.

TomBrad95, Apr 13, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

What are you actually trying to do and how and what happens. We need a lot more detail.

5. nistka93 Win User
    I am trying to put windows on the new hard drive. When I boot the computer with the recovery drive installed, I get a screen that looks like this:

Need help with recovering windows. [​IMG]

But without the continue button, only the troubleshoot and turn off buttons. If I click on the trouble shoot button, It brings up three options, Reset this PC, Recover from a drive and Advanced options.

Reset brings up another screen with keep files or delete files, neither option works, just gives an error saying "The drive where windows is installed is locked".

Recover from a drive brings up "Unable to recover your PC. The system drive is too small."

Advanced Options brings up a screen with System Restore, System image Recovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, and Go back to a previous build.

System restore tells me to restart and choose a windows installation to restore.

System Image recovery can not find an image to use.

Startup repair brings me to a screen that says repairing files that sits there for like 15 minutes, then the computer shuts off.

Command prompt is self explanatory. I have used this to run diskpart, and my hard drive does not show up.

And go back to a previous version says it ran into a problem and cant continue.

I can run a test on the hard drive from within my bios and it says the hard drive is fine, so why does it not appear to diskpart?

Let me know what other info you might need.

nistka93, Apr 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you have another operating desktop computer, try temporarily connecting the problem hard drive as a second, third, whatever hard drive in it and see if you can access it in a different computer.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
  8. nistka93 Win User

New hard drive, no recovery partition. USB drive was supposed to be my recovery partition, but it isn't finding the hard drive.

nistka93, Apr 13, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    Is this an UEFI system

10. nistka93 Win User
    I don't really know, but the diagnostics tool that I used to test my hard drive is called "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" so I assume so.

nistka93, Apr 13, 2016
  11. nistka93 Win User
    I don't really know, but the diagnostics tool that I used to test my hard drive is called "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" so I assume so.

nistka93, Apr 13, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The OP is trying to get a brand new hard drive to work. There is no recovery partition on it, there is no data on it, yet.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
  13. Kyhi Win User

Since this is Windows 10 Recovery USB (I assume, although recovery showing a prior windows 8 OS)
    Insert the Recovery USB into any working PC and see if you have a reconstruct.wim in the sources folder...

The New HDD (does not appear to be brand new) as it shows a prior OS,,,
    The drive is showing locked due to a pending DISM command...

You can use the advanced option > command prompt
    type> Diskpart
    type> select disk 0
    type> clean
    type> exit

then go into recovery and select reset

14. nistka93 Win User
    No, there is no windows 8 installation, that picture is one I found on the internet. My screen does not show any option to continue at all, just the troubleshoot and turn off computer.

The drive does not show up in diskpart, but I can run a test on it in BIOS which is telling me Bios can see it, but diskpart can not.

nistka93, Apr 13, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is the bios setting for the SATA controller set to RAID or AHCI? It should be AHCI

Also make sure the SATA port the drive is connected to is enabled in BIOS

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Need help with recovering windows. - Similar Threads - Need help recovering

2. Need help recovering my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help recovering my Windows 10: Hello,I need help fixing Windows 10 reinstallation issues on my laptop.Here's the background: I have a Lenovo laptop with a 256GB SSD and a 256GB HDD. Initially, it came with Windows 10 installed. Over the past year, I created a partition on the HDD and installed Ubuntu,...
  3. Need help recovering my Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help recovering my Windows 10: Hello,I need help fixing Windows 10 reinstallation issues on my laptop.Here's the background: I have a Lenovo laptop with a 256GB SSD and a 256GB HDD. Initially, it came with Windows 10 installed. Over the past year, I created a partition on the HDD and installed Ubuntu,...
  4. Need help recovering accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help recovering accounts: I need to recovery two accounts for some reason it’s has been blocked me even tho I know the correct password to login I’ve tried recovering it with the form had no joy when I know the details are correct and also Microsoft have blocked the account I normally get the code...
  5. Need help recovering accounts

Need help recovering accounts: I need to recovery two accounts for some reason it’s has been blocked me even tho I know the correct password to login I’ve tried recovering it with the form had no joy when I know the details are correct and also Microsoft have blocked the account I normally get the code...
  6. Needed help in recovering the windows product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Needed help in recovering the windows product key: I have brougt a laptop with windows 7 home and later upgraded it into windows 10 pro. Currently I don't have the original CD cover and invoice which contain the license key.The windows is activated with and digital license. Its a couple of years now and I have reinstalled the...
  7. Needed help in recovering the windows product key

Needed help in recovering the windows product key: I have brougt a laptop with windows 7 home and later upgraded it into windows 10 pro. Currently I don't have the original CD cover and invoice which contain the license key.The windows is activated with and digital license. Its a couple of years now and I have reinstalled the...
  8. Needed help in recovering the windows product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. Need help recovering documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help recovering documents: Hi! so earlier today around 2-3 am my laptop froze then proceeded to shut down. I then turned it on again and logged in but I noticed all my data and documents were deleted, I haven’t been able to find them and when I try to open up apps they wont load or open at all! Sorry...
  10. Help needed to recover a windows image.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Help needed to recover a windows image.: Hello folks, I am a windows insider and the last build completely screwed up my computer. The screen kept flashing so fast that it could not load the login wallpaper. Having had this problem with WI before, I am quite fastidious in making windows system images and as I...