Windows 10: Need help with windows 10 System Reserved Partition

Discus and support Need help with windows 10 System Reserved Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Am trying to upgrade a windows 7 desktop to windows 10 but anytime I try to download windows 10 I get this: "Windows 10 couldn't be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Afees98, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Afees98 Win User

Need help with windows 10 System Reserved Partition

Hello,

Am trying to upgrade a windows 7 desktop to windows 10 but anytime I try to download windows 10 I get this:

"Windows 10 couldn't be installed. We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

What can I do get this fixed to get windows 10 on this computer?

Thanks,

:)

Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  2. qinada Win User

cannot locate system reserved partition on Disk Management

This Windows 10 upgrade error is usually caused by insufficient space on the System Reserved partition. When you install Windows to a partitioned MBR disk, Windows will create an additional partition without drive letter labeled as System Reserved, which
    stores important boot files and normally locates before the system partition (often known as C: drive). On Windows 7, it often takes 100MB disk space, 350MB on Windows 8, and 500MB on Windows 10. Since upgrading to Windows 10 needs more space on the System
    Reserved partition, Windows 10 will not upgrade unless it detects that the System Reserved partition has enough space. If you fresh install Windows 10 to a specific partition, you won't receive this error. By the way, the System Reserved partition first appearance
    was on Windows 7, so you won't have this error on previous versions of Windows.

To solve this problem of being unable to update System Reserved partition, you can increase the size of System Reserved partition using third party free partition software like AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard, which can manage your disks and partitions
    without data loss.

For detailed solution, see this article: Fix "We Couldn’t Update the System Reserved Partition" Error

qinada, Jul 29, 2015
  3. No System Reserved Partition After Free Upgrade and Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

I don't think the proposed solution applies to my problem. The Windows 7 system upgraded from didn't have system reserved partitions. So the system reserved partition can't be inadequate it didn't exist. Also, the system partition was formatted during the
    clean install so any existing system reserved partition would have been deleted. No errors were encountered during the upgrade and Windows 10 seems to work fine.

What I'm trying to do is determine is how to add a system reserved partition for the Windows 10 system without one. From what I've read each Windows 10 system should have a system reserved partition. Do I just need to redo the clean install?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Need help with windows 10 System Reserved Partition

Hi Afees98

It seems to be an issue with the System Reserved Partition being full.

Can you post a image of your Diskmgmt please?

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Afees98 Win User
    Yes I can!

Need help with windows 10 System Reserved Partition [​IMG]

Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  6. As you can no doubt see, your System drive only has 7mb available.

To follow @gregrockers post from Win7 forums. Can you try this please.

7. Afees98 Win User
    Ok so i made it so it will show hidden files. What screenshot is needed?

Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Afees98 Win User

Is there a way I can just make the system size bigger for it to work?

Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  9. If you want to increase the System partition, you can look at using partition managers to do so, however playing with the Partition can have side effects.

As for the image, can you show the contents of the System drive? It does not look like the default of 100mb was reserved, and you will run into issues with that.

10. Afees98 Win User

Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Thank you for the image, can you change the view to details and sort by size?

We need to see where the largest files are.

12. Afees98 Win User

Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  13. sheryltoo Win User

I hope you get an answer because I too have the same problem.

sheryltoo, Jul 29, 2015
  14. Afees98 Win User
    Afees98, Jul 29, 2015
  15. I suggest you create a backup of your system reserved partition, then remove the items.

Once you have done this, you need to run the installation for WIndows 10, and do not reboot!
    This should allow you to run the installation without the above mentioned error.

If it fails, you will need to move the items back into the reserved partition, and most likely repair your windows install.

Thema:

1. Need help with windows 10 System Reserved Partition - Similar Threads - Need help System

2. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  5. No System Reserved Partition help?

in Windows 10 Support
    No System Reserved Partition help?: disk management isn't showing system reserved partition but there is 500mb unallocated space only. [img] 148775
  6. System Reserve partition missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Reserve partition missing in Windows 10: I've been getting a "Couldn't complete the update" error for some time now. Doing a little research, it looks like I need to expand my system reserve partition. However, when I run disk management, no system reserve partition shows up to expand. So, the question is: A) am...
  7. System reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  8. Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.

Windows 10 can't update system reserved partition; my system reserved partition is empty.: Hi, Trying to eliminate the freezing up problem with Windows 10. Recently noticed a key update KB3176938 has not been loaded to my system. In the settings, tried to update but got the message "Can't update the system reserved partition." OK, so poked around in Microsoft...
  9. Windows 10 without system reserved partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 without system reserved partitions: Hi can anybody please explain these two questions: A- How many are the partitions that windows 10 automatically creates during installation, what are they for and what is it stored in them? B- if I choose not to have them (for example by creating the windows partition with...
  10. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...