Windows 10: Need more room

Discus and support Need more room in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Dell tablet with a 32 Gig hard drive. I was down to 3 Gigs of free space. I removed a lot of software and blocked Windows Update. Was sitting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by milford, Feb 28, 2018.

1. milford Win User

Need more room

I have a Dell tablet with a 32 Gig hard drive. I was down to 3 Gigs of free space. I removed a lot of software and blocked Windows Update. Was sitting on 1703/1706 (not sure which one). With all my messing around, I finally got up to 10 Gigs free. So I took a chance and went for a Windows Update.

Right now, I have 1709 16299.125 and 13 Gigs of free space. Or at least I did. I turned off Updates to save my free space but some how, after 2 days, I lost a Gig of space and now have 12 Gigs free.

I have no idea where I'm loosing free space. Anyone have any ideas? Is there any free software other than CCleaner that would help me cleanup my hard drive?

I've looked at Glary Utilities, Bleachbit, Wise Disk Cleaner, and Disk Cleaner. But not happy with anything. Wise was corrupting my files and I had to run sfc /scannow to fix them.
    The only thing that helps is defragging and optimizing.

:)

milford, Feb 28, 2018
  2. neilpzz Win User

Need more room on my C drive

You can indeed empty the Recycle Bin and delete temporary files. I would suggest you use Disk Cleanup and run it initially then select to clean system files. Look down the list and make the necessary selections to remove unwanted files.

neilpzz, Feb 28, 2018
  3. Need more room on my C drive

What files can I delete in order to make more room on my drive? Can I get rid of the trash bin? temporary files?

CatherineBeckman, Feb 28, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Need more room

Most Tablets have a MicroSDXC type slot that will accommodate an added card, I use 64GB with my 32GB tablets to gain extra storage and direct most new program installations to it using the Custom Install feature [if the program has it, most do]. The cards have come down in price since I got mine, looks like I may have to get a 128GB card.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultra...SIN=B073JYVKNX

Berton, Feb 28, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 28, 2018
  6. milford Win User
    Thanks, I think. I removed the Windows 10 Update folder and my free space just went down to 11.6 Gigs. ???

Just tried Windirstat and Wiztree. Installed one, ran it deleted it, then installed the other one, ran it, then removed it. Checked my free space and its down to 11.2 Gigs. Keeps getting better and better.

Its Pagefile.sys Wiztree showed it at 1.9 Gig. I reduced it to 1.1 Gig. Free space is now 12.8 Gig. Now, if only I new what I was doing. *Shock

milford, Mar 1, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    I can offer some additional tips to free up more space:
    1. Use DriverStore Explorer to remove duplicate/obsolete/unnecessary drivers. Use the Select Old Drivers button to mark such stuff, then click Delete Package. Easy and Fast.
    2. Use HomeDev PatchCleaner to move orphaned installer files to another drive (USB flash drive even)
    3. Run DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase (cleans up the WinSxS directory)

Last year, I wrote a blog post about all this stuff (and more) "Periodic Win10 Disk Cleanup Checklist." There's some overlap with Brink's excellent tutorial, but other stuff that's covered in very few other places. You might want to check it out, too.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Need more room

1. Need more room - Similar Threads - Need more room

2. My computer tells me my OneDrive is full. It tells me I need to buy more room.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My computer tells me my OneDrive is full. It tells me I need to buy more room.: I know nothing about OneDrive, but my computer tells me my OneDrive is full and I need to subscribe to get more room. I am a single user and don't do much on my computer except play games and Google random topics. I recently started a project on an Epson FF-680W to scan...
  3. My computer tells me my OneDrive is full. It tells me I need to buy more room.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer tells me my OneDrive is full. It tells me I need to buy more room.: I know nothing about OneDrive, but my computer tells me my OneDrive is full and I need to subscribe to get more room. I am a single user and don't do much on my computer except play games and Google random topics. I recently started a project on an Epson FF-680W to scan...
  4. My computer tells me my OneDrive is full. It tells me I need to buy more room.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. need more space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need more space: what i can delete from windows folder?? submitted by /u/Frosty_Weird5080 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8oyj4/need_more_space/
  6. Facebook Introducing Messenger Rooms and More Ways to Connect

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook Introducing Messenger Rooms and More Ways to Connect: Facebook’s products have always been about connecting people. Over the years we’ve focused on how to help people feel present with one another even when they’re not in the same place. Today, video helps most of us bridge the distance....
  7. I need to get more space on computer,but when I think I make room, more prrograms keep...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need to get more space on computer,but when I think I make room, more prrograms keep...: help, When I opened this computer up, it was already loaded with programs, and there isn't space to add something I want to use, below it asks for apps etc- its not just one kind...
  8. Need more advice

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need more advice: I'm cleaning up my Windows 10 pc to make more space. I unloaded some useless software and deleted some files on the desktop,,,,, Is that enough? What else do I need to do? 115173
  9. Need more advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Need more advice: I'm cleaning up my Windows 10 pc to make more space. I unloaded some useless software and deleted some files on the desktop,,,,, Is that enough? What else do I need to do? 115173
  10. Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete?

in Windows 10 Support
    Need More Room on Boot SSD! - What Can I Delete?: I am in a real pickle. I cannot fix a problem in Windows, so am going to reinstall Windows. Or so I thought. I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and see I need to create media to reinstall Win10. Microsoft has a tool for this. Great. Tried to run it, and it says I need 8 GB of free...