Windows 10: Need Some Graphic Card advice

Discus and support Need Some Graphic Card advice in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; My pc's cards fan after 4 years just started making a whinning noise I don't know if I could take it out and grease the fan or not but I would rather... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by munk1955, Feb 20, 2017.

1. munk1955 Win User

Need Some Graphic Card advice

My pc's cards fan after 4 years just started making a whinning noise I don't know if I could take it out and grease the fan or not but I would rather just get a new card......Say $100 or less....And I'm not a gamer.

My pc is a 2013 HP P-6 2400T / Intel 3.1 CPU / 12 gb's memory with a 300w PSU and the bus support is PCI Express 2.0 the whinning card is a Nvidia Geforce GT 620 1 gb.

I am just looking for the best card I can install moving up from the GT620 that will fit my specs and I have come up with(say staying with Nvidia anyway)the Geforce GTX 750 (1 GB).

I know the PSU is limiting me for the higher number cards but also can I put a card for a PCI Express 3.0 into one that is 2.0 ?....These slots are backwards compatible correct ?

So if anybody has suggestions on the best card I can upgrade too please give me your suggestions....This is my first forray into graphics cards.....Also another brand becides Nvidia is ok with me!

:)

munk1955, Feb 20, 2017

2. need some advice....

o.k...so 5700 need an anti virus....will it come with an anti virus?

and how about the music player? have the music player improve?

calvin_0---01, Feb 20, 2017
  3. need some advice....

The 5700 is a better and more advanced product but is not as easy to use as it uses a the symbian series 60 operating system. If you want something simple stick with the 5300 or try the 5700 before you buy.

psychomania---01, Feb 20, 2017
  4. BRKKAB Win User

Personally, I'd strongly suggest you upgrade your psu to a decend 600-800 watt one and then get a GTX 9** series video card. One that has at least 4GBs of VRam is gonna be needed for any newer game.

BRKKAB, Feb 20, 2017
  5. munk1955 Win User
    Thanks BRKKAB for your response but if you notice I stated that "And I'm not a gamer"......I have this pc hooked up to my 55" Vizeo 4K tv by HDMI and all I want is the best picture for watching online movies and tv shows.

munk1955, Feb 20, 2017
  6. BRKKAB Win User
    Then you're still gonna want to follow my recommendation with one exception. For 4K you're gonna need a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080. Earlier video cards don't do 4K. You need a GTX 1070, GTX 1080, GTX 1080 ti (releasing soon) or a RX 480 video card for anything 4K.
    You're not getting true 4K without those video cards.

BRKKAB, Feb 20, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    I had the same problem some years ago, Graphic Card fans failing after a relatively short time. I eventually got one with a passive heatsink which solved the problem.
    Not sure they make a low power GT 900 or GT 1000 series yet with a passive heatsink. So you are probably looking at the right sort of thing.
    MSI make a passive heak version of the GT 730, The GTX 750 cards have fans they take a bit more power.
    A PCI-E 3.0 Card is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 slot.
    I stick with Nvidia on the principle of the devil you know.

You can oil the fan bearings usually by peeling off a label, they may only last a short time as the bearings will be worn. You may find a replacement fan if it is a common size.

The TV will be upscaling most content to 4K anyway.

Helmut, Feb 20, 2017
  8. munk1955 Win User

Thanks Helmut for your advice.....I thought about a passive card but don't have enough knowledge to know if they are the way to go or not.......Seems like you are doing fine with one I guess one just needs to make sure and have good air flow.....I'll check into passive cards a liitle more.

Thanks for confirming the 3.0 to 2.0 thought so but wasn't for sure.....And yeah as far as working on the fan it's 4 years old it's time for a new card.

And as far as me having a 4K tv I could care less about 4K all I care about is watching the best 1080P I can get.

Thanks again for all the replys.....I need all the help I can get on graphic cards!

munk1955, Feb 21, 2017
  9. bobkn Win User
    If you can stretch your budget to $110US, you can get a card based on the nVidia GTX 1050 chipset. Example:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 02G-P4-6150-KR, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)-Newegg.com

A 300W PSU is the recommended minimum.

The lower end 1050 (75W) cards don't require an auxiliary PCI-E power connector. There are higher end 1050 cards (120W) that need a 6 pin PCI-E connector. Don't get one of those.

I don't think that you need a low profile card, but you may want to double check before buying a new card.

bobkn, Feb 21, 2017
  10. munk1955 Win User
    Thanks bobkn.....I definitly don't need a low profile card I have plenty of room inside the case.

I'll check into that card.....Thanks for the recommendation!

munk1955, Feb 21, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    The reference to a low profile card is more for the metal mounting bracket, the SFF/Small Form Factor and/or UltraSFF cases may need it. Some cards come with both brackets but may give up the DVI or VGA socket or have it mounting in a separate slot.

Berton, Feb 21, 2017
  12. munk1955 Win User
    I see what you are saying Berton......I just bought the card that bobkn recommended so we shall see when it arrives.

I will keep everyone updated after I get it installed.

One question on installing is since I'm updating from a Nvidia card(GT 620) to another Nvidia card(GTX 1050) do I have to unistall the old drivers first before I install the new drivers from Nvidia's website or will I be ok since it is from the same manufacturer.......Let me know......Thanks!

munk1955, Feb 21, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

You may want to get back to the basic Windows drivers but best to uninstall any software that came with the older card. There usually is a CD or DVD with the drivers and software for the new card.

Berton, Feb 21, 2017
  14. munk1955 Win User
    Through my research on this everybody says to throw that cd in the trash because it will probably not have the newest updated drivers and you will want to go to the manufacturers website(Nvidia) and download the latest drivers for your card.

Does that sound about right everybody ?

munk1955, Feb 21, 2017
  15. bobkn Win User
    Yes. My suggested procedure is:

(Download the current drivers from nvidia.com. Don't do anything with them yet.)

Uninstall the current drivers. Shut down the PC. (Do NOT restart, to avoid having drivers re-install for the old card.)

Swap cards.

Start up the PC.

Install the drivers you previously downloaded from nVidia. (I usually do a "custom" install. I leave off all the 3D drivers. I don't know why they install by default. Few people have 3D capable monitors. I choose to install just the graphics drivers and PhysX. If I was a gamer, the Geforce Experience might be helpful, but I don't want it.)

I'm flattered that you took my recommendation, and hope that you like the new card.

bobkn, Feb 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Need Some Graphic Card advice - Similar Threads - Need Graphic Card

2. Graphics card advice

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Graphics card advice: Hi all, New to the forum. Ive ben wanting to build my own gaming pc for a few years now but never felt i knew enough to get the right parts or fix any issues that might arise. Starting to build one right now. Right now i'm able to play a small amount of games on my laptop...
  3. Need some technical advice here

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some technical advice here: So I created a user using Microsoft Family. I am currently using Microsoft Edge as the default browser. I have the browser signed in to an account for safe-search reasons so the kids aren't doing things they shouldn't. They get around it by simply signing out of the browser....
  4. I need some advice please

I need some advice please: I'm shopping for a new laptop and I wonder if it's a good to pay extra the nvidia rtx 2070 instead of nvidia gtx 1650 ti? Thank you I would appreciate you opinion win 19042. 630 170618
  5. Video Card Upgrade Advice Needed

Video Card Upgrade Advice Needed: I'm looking to upgrade my Video Card from my current GTX 960 for use with a new 43" 4k TV that I am using as a monitor at 1440p. Full 4k makes everything way to small for my old eyes to see. What I need advice on, since it's obviously been awhile since I've purchased a new...
  6. I need some advice?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need some advice?: Well, I have been programming a bot for GTA Online for a while now. This allows you to stay online, create single lobbies and mute the GTA window. My question: Can I get in trouble for that, because I basically exploit security holes. Be a bit scared after what happened to...
  7. Looking for some graphic card advice

Looking for some graphic card advice: I'm planning on doing an upgrade to my rig this year by replacing the APU(Ryzen 3 2200G) with the Ryzen 5 3600 in Nov. But I need to get a graphic card first and I was wondering what card would be best. I know there are no best but I want something that will do as well if not...
  8. Going to W10, need some advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need some advice.: Going to W10, need some advice. Hi, Currently running W7 Pro32 bit MSI I5 laptop & use it mainly for managing our Retirement funds, Healthcare along with research, learning about what's going on in the world today. I'm a retired busn Mgr & have been using PC's since the...
  9. Graphics Card Guidance Needed

Graphics Card Guidance Needed: I'm looking for some guidance on what graphics card or graphics chipset to consider. The computer has a G620 processor at 2.6GHz and runs Windows 10. It has a 380-watt PSU. The computer is used for playing web videos, web browsing, displaying photographs, playing DVD's,...
  10. Need Some Ethernet Cable Advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need Some Ethernet Cable Advice: Currently have two different sets of cables. Thinking about making all 6 the same "CAT". Oldest equipment is the 2 year old Modem/Router. Next is the HP Officejet Pro 6830 and the rest is new equipment. Question is CAT 5e of 6 cables? Look forward to your...