Windows 10: Need some help, new install on SSD was working until I updated Win10.

Discus and support Need some help, new install on SSD was working until I updated Win10. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I got a new ssd, installed windows 10 on it everything was going fine, until I went to update windows 10, Now everytime I go to boot up the pc I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scyris, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Scyris Win User

Need some help, new install on SSD was working until I updated Win10.

So I got a new ssd, installed windows 10 on it everything was going fine, until I went to update windows 10, Now everytime I go to boot up the pc I get this: Reboot and select proper boot devices or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

It started after the normal reboot it does to install a windows update.

Now the weird thing is the pc was booting into the SSD just fine until I tried to update windows, my pc is a Gateway DX4860 model, The even weirder thing is if I hit F12 to go to the boot menu and select the SSD manually it boots into windows 10 just fine with no problems. But No matter where I set it in my boot menu in bios it gives me that error above.

Also is my Efi device configuration supposed to be empty? I am sure there was something in there before i tried to update windows 10.

Any help would be apprecated, I have no idea what might have caused this or how to fix it. AFAIK with my mobo's bios I don't think I can disable efi and go to legacy. Or at least I don't know how to.

:)

Scyris, Aug 6, 2016

2. Swapping drives with Windows 10 and Windows 7

My company has several computers that are still running Win7. There are several applications we have created to run on these computers and different peripherals. I need to evaluate compatibility with Win10 on a few computers.

To reduce impact to existing computers I thought I would purchase a new SSD and install Win10 and all the applications we need. My thought is to swap out the Win7 drive with the Win10 drive on one computer at a time until I've covered all the combinations
    that need to be evaluated.

My concern is licensing. Will there be any issues with moving the SSD with Win10 from one computer to another?

Typically we purchase the OEM version of windows. I'm worried that may be a problem. Can the Win10 OEM version work?

Thanks,

Mick

MickFearnow, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade KEY for clean install.

So a bit of an update on my situation.

Prior to upgrading to Win10, I was planning on a new Mobo and CPU. When the automatic Win10 update stalled, I used the workaround to initiate the upgrade, and I only was given a few days notice, so Win10 upgrade occurred whether I wanted it or not - my fault
    for trying to enforce the upgrade before I was really ready.

So Win10 was fine, but due to other circumstances, the need to change my Mobo and CPU came. I spoke to a MS adviser on the chat and was advised I would probably need to reinstall Win7, as my Win10 activation would fail after installing my new components.

To make matter worse, I'd been having problems with my Sandisk SSD, so during the reinstall of Win7, my new system wasn't detecting it in the Sata3 ports - I had this issue with my previous Mobo, but I could use the SSD in the Sata2 ports as a workaround.

On the rare occasion I managed to boot into Win10 with the Sandisk SSD, my activation failed as expected. So I managed to reinstall Win7. However, the Sandisk SSD failed again, and I decided to return it, and buy a new one.

So, on top of a new Mobo and CPU, I have a new Crucial SSD. Thankfully, I've had no issues with it. I've reinstalled Win7, fully updated it, and the Win10 App Icon has now appeared automatically to give me the option to reupgrade to Win10. A long winded
    process, but I fully expected it.

And I also expect I may have to purchase a full WIn10 DVD in the future when the free upgrade expires and I require new components again.

One word of note too: With having a new SSD, it requires a new Firmware update. I am debating whether to do the update BEFORE upgrading to Win10. I have read, firmware updates, such as Bios updates, can mistakenly alert Win10 that you have a new system and
    could inactivate your copy. Don't quote me on this, and I'll like some confirmation, but I wouldn't be surprised.

bullybeef73, Aug 6, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Firstly, check to see that you have the correct boot sequence configured in your BIOS. If the boot sequence is OK, I suspect you might have a another active partition on your PC which is confusing the boot process. Install Minitool Partition Wizard and check to see that you have only one active partition on your system drive and no other active partitions on other drives. Change any other active partitions to inactive.

The next step would be to try to check / repair the boot configuration. Install Macrium Reflect Free, create a rescue disc then boot from the rescue disk and follow the repair instructions at http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Rescu...t_Problems.htm

If all else fails, you may have to start again with a clean install.

Steve C, Aug 6, 2016
  5. Scyris Win User
    Well I tried what you said with macrium and not only did it corrupt my boot sector on the ssd, it also somehow screwed the one on my old HDD too, and it failed at repairing it. I reinstalled windows 10 on my ssd, so hopefully its not going to bug out when I update it on windows update this time.

Also where the heck do I get directx for windows 10?

Scyris, Aug 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    DirectX is built into Windows 10. Click on the start icon and type dxdiag. Run the top app that appears in the search list.

NavyLCDR, Aug 6, 2016
  7. Scyris Win User
    Could it have been me switching between boot drives and such and loading 2 diff windows that could have possible messed with the boot sector on the ssd? I never set up a proper dual boot or anything, I just was switching the main hdd in bios. Anyway so far so good after a new clean install, got past the windows update thing that screwed me the last time anyway.

Scyris, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need some help, new install on SSD was working until I updated Win10. - Similar Threads - Need help install

2. I need Some Update help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need Some Update help: Can yall help with this error? 0x80070643 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-some-update-help/ab22da5a-dbcf-4c82-a3ca-c6fe52a50f7a
  3. I need some help with the Win10 activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I need some help with the Win10 activation: Hi, my pc just tell me that I have no Windows 10 active. So i tried to buy a new key, but it does not work. Also it says error 0xC004F012 Can someone help me please?...
  4. Need some Urgent help for SSD migration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some Urgent help for SSD migration: Hi all, I added an SSD to my laptop and cloned C drive from HDD. But its still booting from the HDD. I tried to switch it in Boot menu but only one is showing up there. How can i boot from SSD and format the C drive in HDD. Currently clone is E drive. I am using a HP...
  5. Need help switching to a new SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need help switching to a new SSD: I have a HDD and I just got a SSD and I'm trying to switch. I tried using Macrium to clone my previous hard drive, but it failed and told me to run "chkdsk C: /r" in cmd, so I did. I restarted my pc and after about 40 mins I got BSoD. I restarted again and the repair was...
  6. I need help installing win10

I need help installing win10: Im running unbuntu atm and want to make a windows 10 bootable usb with my sandisk cruzer blade. I format to mbr Creat ntfs partition Copy the files contained in the iso to the usb Restart pc, boot to eufi sandisk Select language Then says no driver found submitted by...
  7. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...: I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb SSD). Anyway, I though there would be a problem if I plugged the old drive back in and booted up into windows without hitting...
  8. need to load win10 on a new SSD

need to load win10 on a new SSD: I have a Product key but do not have a cd/dvd to load win10 on a REPLACEMENT drive. My HD is going out. how do I reload/transfer/load/move the OS to a new drive? I tried cloning it but it sticks with the c drive. DO I change the names of the drives. My PC came preloaded...
  9. Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?

Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?: My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10. My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new one, which I now have. My plan was to create a Win10 ISO flash drive, replace my current SSD boot drive with the new one, and do...
  10. hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd: hi, laptop's hdd broke, i put new one in but stuck on how to install win10 i found an iso version from microsoft Access Denied i downloaded it, how to make bootable usb? 72961