Windows 10: Need some help with a custom shortcut

Discus and support Need some help with a custom shortcut in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Im trying to make a shortcut to open Saitek's Control panel. This panel looks similar to the windows control panel for controllers,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by NervusTwitch, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Need some help with a custom shortcut

Im trying to make a shortcut to open Saitek's Control panel. This panel looks similar to the windows control panel for controllers,
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL joy.cpl

Saitek's version uses its own control panel interface with more options and settings. It is not the profiler software.

The folder its located in is here
    C:\Program Files\Saitek\SD6\Software

I used Procmon to find out which file or exe it was using to open. the file is "cpl.dll"

Pic showing what its using to open and what Im opening.

Need some help with a custom shortcut [​IMG]

I'm just trying to make a simple shortcut for this control panel so that its easy to open,I need it open anytime I use the joystick to make certain buttons function.

Thanks for any help

:)

NervusTwitch, Sep 5, 2016

2. Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, then back to 10 when support for 7 ends.

1. Go back to Windows 7 or go back to the previous build?

2. Did you purchase the refurbished computer on 10 January, first use it on 10 January, or did the refurbisher (I assume) "install" Win10 on 10 January?

3a. Where did you purchased the refurbished computer?

3b. Do you know who refurbished it?

4. What Windows 10 Version & OS Build is currently installed?

Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
    key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments:

• IMHO you can't trust the security of any used computer unless & until YOU have formatted the HDD & then done a clean install of Windows (or paid someone - not the supposed "refurbisher" - to do it for you).
    • Mom's prolly better off sticking with Win10. Learning new stuff is good for her! <wink>

We purchased the computer from a Comprenew store on January 18, but the date on the OS install was January 10. We just activated the software on the 18th. Comprenew recycles old electronics etc. and is a certified Microsoft refurbisher. I am not positive
    which build is installed, but I can find it when I get over there. It looks like we have lots of help here to figure things out... all is tremendously appreciated. And... yes....it is good for her to learn new stuff, so we are trying to encourage her to
    learn the "new" Windows OS. We'll see what happens. Thanks again! Need some help with a custom shortcut :) Oh yeah, I do need to double check if it says go back to Windows7 or previous build...thanks for that. I've been looking at too many computers lately... can't remember which one says
    what. :[

Need some help with..., Sep 5, 2016
  3. Rolling back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, then back to 10 when support for 7 ends.

Hi, thanks for your answer. So, at the point we decide to go back up to Windows 10, will we be able to download it from Microsoft's website, or is there another way? Should we make some sort of backup of her current hard drive? or... ??? Thanks tons again!

Need some help with..., Sep 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Need some help with a custom shortcut

If C:\Program Files\Saitek\SD6\Software
    is the installation folder for this control panel, please post a screenshot of explorer showing that folder.

How do you normally open it?

Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Ok I normally open that control panel by right clicking " Saitek x52 Flight Controller" in the lower right task bar of windows. By right clicking it opens a pop up window with different selections,
    for ex: Proflie Editor,Control panel(the joysticks control panel and not windows), select different profiles and such.

Location of the file

And what Im actually clicking to open in lower right corner of desktop

Sometimes I load up my game and I forget to start this file and well the game isnt very alt+tab friendly so I usually have to close it and restart again,gets kind of annoying.

Thank you

6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I can't see everything in that folder, but I would guess you need to find the relevant exe. A clue might be the icon to the left of Control Panel in your screenshot above.

You could use Sysinternals Procmon (not process explorer) to log exactly what happens when you click on that to launch it; have that running, note the exact time you click it, then search the log.

Or you could just try appropriate looking exe's in your folder.

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  7. I'll try Sysinternals Procmon.
    I used a program called process explorer and I did what you said before I made the thread and the only change I saw was the cpl.dll added.

So I was assuming that was launched by the dll file just like the default windows version(joy.cpl) is opened.
    I came across how to open the default windows one similar to the joy.cpl I showed in the first post.

But I'll try Sysinternals Procmon and see what info I can grab with it,then come back with the info.

Thank you.

EDIT:
    I did try every exe file int the Saitek folder but none launched what I needed shown in pic above. What Im trying to shortcut to is that small pic to the right in the first pic I posted,it has all the numbered red dots and such on it.

8. Need some help with a custom shortcut

Here is what Ive found,sorry if this isnt all the info,Im unfamiliar with this program.
    The saimfd.exe is for the lcd display thats on the joystick. Only thing that changes is the cpl.dll.

And Event properties

9. This is a better shot of when the process starts.

10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, think you've applied a filter which excludes how it's launched- you'd be interested in events just before the appearance of that cpl.dll

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  11. Im not too sure about the filter.
    When I opened Process Monitor it had a filter list and I unchecked everything that said exclude and left checked anything that said include.

It still gave the same info as the pics above. So i'm not really sure what I need to do.

Thank you

12. dalchina New Member
    It sounds like you should have done the right thing- the default setting of the filter is that you see most activity. You should see all activity related to system processes as well. Everything down the left side is cpl.dll, so somehow the view is prioritised to that. You should see registry related activity...

Compare mine- I reset the filter:

dalchina, Sep 5, 2016
  13. Need some help with a custom shortcut

Ok I see what you mean. I forgot that I use the see the open window on desktop feature, the target looking symbol.
    OK well I'll try again.

THank you again

14. Ok I can not figure how to get the info up that you have,actually nothing shows up unless I open the window to the file I am talking about and use the "include process from window" feature, the target looking symbol. I turned off all filters that say exclude.

So with that being said I guess I dont know what I'm doing.

Help anyone?

15. I googled how to see what files or exe and dll was being used when open the windows and this is what I get.

I used Process Explorer cause I cant anything done with Procmon. Besides when I googled how it said to use process explorer.

Now the Saitek flight controller loads up in the lower right whenever I plug in the joystick automatically. I then open the Saitek control panel as mentioned above from the Saitek flight controller program by right clicking the icon in the task bar.

Having done this the only thing that opens in procmon or process explorer is cpl.dll.
    So in Process Explorer I used ctrl+F to open search and search the file cpl.dll and these are the results I get in the new window. I dont know if its the info needed or not.

Or anyone know how to create a batch file to open this control window that saitek uses. I am not good at that or programs and suck running from dll files

Thema:

Need some help with a custom shortcut

1. Need some help with a custom shortcut - Similar Threads - Need help custom

2. Need some help...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some help...: So I tried resetting a laptop that used to be my brother's. After it was all done it brought me to the login screen with the same User Account. I tried using the password associated with it and it gave me an error saying "the user profile service failed the sign-in." I found...
  3. Need some help with some icons

Need some help with some icons: [ATTACH] so, recently i customized my desktop using some feature that are inside windows 10 by default, and added custom things by making a background image using some 3D software now what i wanna figure out is, how i do LOCK the icons in place, and no i don't mean make...
  4. Need some helpful help

Need some helpful help: So I was trying to download an editing software, on my Window 10, but I couldn't install it because I was missing opencl.dll, but I found the opencl.dll in File Explorer, so i dragged it in the System32 file. But now i faced with a new problem. My new problem is "the...
  5. need some help

need some help: i have downloaded windows 10 for my mac (my mac is compatible as i have already checked) and i have got some folders that say (in order) - autorun.inf , boot , bootmgr , bootmgr.efi , efi , setpup.exe , sources , support . how do i launch windows 10? submitted by...
  6. Need some help with customizing windows

Need some help with customizing windows: So I want to have 2 different workspaces in 1 computer. I'm not sure how to describe this but I want to have 1 desktop with shortcuts related to gaming with another one having just productivity related shortcuts inside. Will this work if I just make another user or can I just...
  7. Need some help :

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need some help :: Hi! I recently update my windows 10 and got this issue: Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. I followed this question first:...
  8. A little help needed with taskbar customization!

A little help needed with taskbar customization!: Is there a way to customize my taskbar in such a way that I get an option to keep a few icons to the right of my taskbar?From this to this. Observe the purple icon(I'm holding it by the click of my mouse. Once I release it it will return to the left side of the taskbar)...
  9. Custom shortcut glitch help

in Windows 10 Support
    Custom shortcut glitch help: Hello, I wanted to set up custom shortcuts in my windows and I had set up ctrl alt 9 to open up excel. I made a new folder with all of the shortcuts of the programs I wanted opened quickly, and I made the custom shortcut keys. I don't know what happaned, but now whenever I...
  10. Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with Shortcuts and Desktop: All my Shortcuts have now appeared in a Desktop file. I want them back on my Desktop Screen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks 71579