Windows 10: Need Syncing Program if You Use a VPN? Best Method?

Discus and support Need Syncing Program if You Use a VPN? Best Method? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I work in two different cities and I need to figure out the best method to organize my files and folders. Everyone is using Google Drive, OneDrive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CerebralFreeze, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Need Syncing Program if You Use a VPN? Best Method?

I work in two different cities and I need to figure out the best method to organize my files and folders.

Everyone is using Google Drive, OneDrive, Resilio Sync, SyncThing, and others to sync their files over all their devices. But I don't want to do that due to 2 reasons. First, the security issues - the company itself can be looking in your files. They have the capability and I don't doubt that they have probably done so to specific people here and there. Second, it's complicated to setup. I always have issues of files syncing, file conflicts, etc.

My question is this:

If you use a VPN to connect two remote networks, do you need a syncing program at all?
    For example, can you set up a large NAS at your home. And the NAS contains all your folders and files. It's basically your central drive for all your data. You create a VPN that combines your home network and a network in a different city. Now your Windows File Explorer sees everything as if everything on both networks are on the same network.

You keep all your original folders and files on the NAS and directly work off of them. (Instead of downloading them. You won't need downloading because I'm guessing the connection is fast enough?)

Would the connection between the two remote networks on the VPN be almost instaneous if you have sufficient CPU power?

I ask this because I don't have a lot of networking experience but I'm guessing it would. There would be the problem of encrypting and decrypting the data at both ends but if your NAS and computer has sufficient CPU power, it should be ok, no?

And, since it's a direct connection (ie. the 2 networks are directly connected to each other), there shouldn't be any significant lag if you have an internet service provider that has the required bandwidth and latency.

Is this setup better than any other solution out there? Or am I way off base here?

I'm asking because right now, I sync files between two remote locations and it's a huge pain because syncing causes a lot of problems like conflicts that lead to multiple copies. Thoughts of hackable security also come to mind. And syncing just all around is a more complicated setup.

*I really don't know that much about computers and networking so consider that in your response. Some of my ideas might seem really dumb but I have no IT training.

Thanks a lot for you help, guys!

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jan 27, 2018

2. Do you still need to use a 3rd party AntiVirus software in the creators update?

You never "needed" to use a 3rd party AV because Windows Defender is and was an Anti-Virus program built into Win 8/8.1/10.

Some suggestions to read:

Jsssssssss, Jan 27, 2018
  3. Does SmartScreen protects you only if you use edge/IE or every browser.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Let me see how I can help you.

Based on your information, I would to inform you that SmartScreen is Windows features which will not work in any other browser except Internet explorer and Microsoft Edge. To use SmartScreen in other browser contact to the browser support team, they
    would be best to help you with this type of situation.

You can also visit the below link for more information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-smartscreen-filter#ie=ie-11

And

SmartScreen Archives - Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jan 27, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Need Syncing Program if You Use a VPN? Best Method?

Hi.
    I'm not a networking person, so I can't answer those questions. But I will offer another solution to consider: iDrive.
    Sync files in real time across all your devices using IDrive

When you first setup iDrive, you can specify your own personal key. If you do this, they tell you that you will not be able to "share" files with others. That's because there is absolutely no access on their end when you specify your own key.

I've set it up for a few people, and it wasn't difficult at all. Their support is pretty responsive, if you do need help.

It is a separate thing from the online backup, just so you know. Something to investigate.

I'm sure others will be here to answer your networking questions.

simrick, Feb 5, 2018
  5. The only problem with that is that don't you have to trust that their software is really encrypting your data and sending it over? The same thing happens with a VPN, no? It's encrypted but since the VPN service is doing all the work, you don't know if they are simply decrypting it and looking at your files. You simply never know and that's the problem for me. I read this and it makes a lot of sense.

Dont use VPN services. · GitHub

The problem I see is that you really can't trust anybody. I understand that you have to eventually trust in some software but it's very difficult to do so. For example, setting up a private VPN, you need to trust that Microsoft didn't put any backdoors in their window 10 software.

One solution I see is that you use encrypt the data using two different software companies. So, even if both companies are shady and are truly looking into their customer's data, they won't be able to decrypt the other shady company's encryption. Although this also has problems like what if the encryption that both companies use is not truly AES 128 but something really simple so that either computer can easily hack each other's encryption.

CerebralFreeze, Feb 5, 2018
  6. simrick Win User
    Well, if you pay for a service, you have to trust them to some extent. Free VPN services can be questionable: how do they make money if they don't exploit your usage somehow? Paid VPNs should be more trustworthy.

Also, 256-bit AES, (which is what IDrive use), is preferred over 128-bit.

Sync files online, link multiple computers - IDriveSync - PCs and Macs
    Now, I'm not pushing this service, just showing there are alternatives. Like I said, you have to trust sometimes, for some things. I wouldn't get too overly concerned, but that's just me.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need Syncing Program if You Use a VPN? Best Method?

1. Need Syncing Program if You Use a VPN? Best Method? - Similar Threads - Need Syncing Program

2. Best VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best VPN: I'm sure all are agreed as to which VPN is the best, so could I get advice. The majority I hear, will go with Norton 360 but if others have a different and faster VPN they would suggest, please do advise....
  3. Best VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best VPN: I'm sure all are agreed as to which VPN is the best, so could I get advice. The majority I hear, will go with Norton 360 but if others have a different and faster VPN they would suggest, please do advise....
  4. what things are best to use for a vpn

what things are best to use for a vpn: um I really want to know how to set up a very good VPN because I don't know how to and I have tried many times so I want to know how to set up the best VPN possible....
  5. 5 Reasons Where You Need a VPN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    5 Reasons Where You Need a VPN: [ATTACH] There are too many environments and moments where you need aVPN, but to make some understanding ofVPN usage, I will explain the most common reasons where many people are using it daily. Security From Public Wi-Fi Accessing Your Network From Other Place Unblock...
  6. Whats the Best VPN for the Price?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats the Best VPN for the Price?: Whats the best VPN thats good on price? 127405
  7. Whats the Best VPN for the Price?

in Windows 10 Support
    Whats the Best VPN for the Price?: Whats the best VPN thats good on price? 127405
  8. Sync Firefox useing program

in Browsers and Email
    Sync Firefox useing program: The sync program I got, 2brightsparks/syncbackpro, just can not seem to sync firefox. I think one issue is fire in use the other seems some sort of file protection setup. I kinda got it to work by making a folder to sync too then having the computer with syncbackpro sync...
  9. What's your ideology on when to start startup programs? Best Method?

What's your ideology on when to start startup programs? Best Method?: I have about 15 startups programs that I want to run automatically when I first boot up my computer. The programs are like Realtek audio, flux, search, google sync, Dexpot, Search Everything, etc. I have never gotten to a point in which all of them booted automatically....
  10. Best FREE vpn client? Need to connect to my home VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best FREE vpn client? Need to connect to my home VPN: I created a remote access VPN (l2tp/ipsec) on my router at my house. If I want to connect to my VPN server remotely ,what do you suggest as a good free vpn client? I know windows 10 has a built in vpn client, but would I notice any improvments (speed, stability, etc) using...