Windows 10: Need to Disconnect Non OS Drives Before Upgrading to Windows 10?

Discus and support Need to Disconnect Non OS Drives Before Upgrading to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The Windows 10 guide at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html states "Temporarily disconnect all non OS hard drives until Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steve C, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Need to Disconnect Non OS Drives Before Upgrading to Windows 10?

The Windows 10 guide at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html states "Temporarily disconnect all non OS hard drives until Windows installation has finished. This is to avoid Windows Setup from installing files on other hard drives by mistake."

I'm about to upgrade my desktop PC from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10. I currently have the following internal drives :
    SSD System Disk (containing OS partition C: & Windows UEFI partitions) - Drive C: contains Windows, most user files and all programs except games

Hard User Disk 1 - containing drives D: & X:. Drive D: contains some user's documents, photos, music & movies folder and game installations. Drive X: is used for system backups. The relocation of user files to Drive D: was done by right clicking on their original location on Drive C: then selecting a new location under the Location tab i.e. by using Option 2 in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-location.html. Note the partitions on D: are not active.

Hard User Disk 2 - containing Drive E: for File History and other backups. Note the partitions on E: are not active.
    Do I really need the bother of opening the case to disconnect and reconnect Disks 1 & 2 to upgrade to Windows 10? I've done other OS upgrades before with a similar disk configuration without problems. What may go wrong?

:)

Steve C, Jun 6, 2016

2. Windows 10 stuck on install

What ultimately worked for me, after changing BIOS settings and disconnecting non-essential external devices(including a USB Wi-Fi adapter), was disconnecting all internal drives except the OS drive.

I only attempted the upgrade installation three times. I started with the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant method and it failed at installing drivers. I then tried a DVD of the ISO through the Media Creation Tool with non-essential external devices disconnected and
    it hung while copying files. Finally, I just extracted the files from the ISO, disconnected the extraneous internal drives, and ran setup from the system drive. The third installation was quick and painless, took less than 30 minutes.

Brandon Eason, Jun 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Pro ISO Installation error message?

Some information that might help your situation

How to: Upgrade from Previous Versions of Windows Using Windows 10 ISO file

How to upgrade to Windows 10 from within Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 using Windows Update

For the errors, these steps might be of good help.

Uninstall Antivirus software

Sometimes the Storage devices cause issues: Disconnect SATA cables for non-OS drives

Disconnecting DVD drive is often reported as a workaround.

Disconnect non-essential hardware (including the Windows 10 USB install media as soon as the PC restarts for the first time during the upgrade).

Pxl_range_Team, Jun 6, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

You do not need to but crap can happen. The other day, I was installing windows and cocked it up by deleting a partition on wrong drive (even though I always tell beginners it is a good idea to disconnect data drives - LOL)

Also, it has been known for installer to crap out affecting other drives (rare to be fair). User error is the most likely situation though.

If data is not backed up elsewhere, (imo) still a good idea to disconnect drives temporarily.

If you did risk it and like me, stupidly deleted a partition you did not mean to, then there is an excellent tool that I used to recover that deleted partition "minitool partition recovery free" in less than a minute including choosing options.

cereberus, Jun 7, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I only have the standard boot partitions on the the SSD system drive and all other partitions on the other disks are inactive in Mini Tool Partition Wizard. I also have a full Macrium Reflect backup image. I'm inclined to take the risk of leaving the drives connected. My main concern is I've moved some user document / music / photo video files to drive D: - but the user profiles remain on drive C:

Steve C, Jun 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should be OK. The biggest problem has been when there have been active partitions on other drives and users don't realize that is where their computer has been booting from the whole time.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    I kept the drives connected and I just updated my PC in 30 mins with no issues *Smile

Steve C, Jun 9, 2016
  8. grinder15 Win User

I've got the same Win-7 config approach as the original poster; however for W10 upgrade, I'm inclined to disconnect all drives except for my OS SSD. Any chance having the data drives disconnected during the upgrade would cause the links from the profile on the OS drive to be broken? Just want to be sure. Acknowledging the instructions are pretty clear: disconnect all but the OS drive.

grinder15, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to Disconnect Non OS Drives Before Upgrading to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Need Disconnect Non

2. Bitlocker non-boot/OS drive with fTPM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker non-boot/OS drive with fTPM?: I have Windows 11 Pro on my new system. I'm trying to enable Bitlocker for all drives.I've run into a problem. Only drive C Boot/OS will let me bitlocker without having to create password/smart card. When I try to bitlocker drive D I don't have any kind of TPM options.I have...
  3. Bitlocker non-boot/OS drive with fTPM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker non-boot/OS drive with fTPM?: I have Windows 11 Pro on my new system. I'm trying to enable Bitlocker for all drives.I've run into a problem. Only drive C Boot/OS will let me bitlocker without having to create password/smart card. When I try to bitlocker drive D I don't have any kind of TPM options.I have...
  4. 16MB partition on newly installed non OS drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    16MB partition on newly installed non OS drive?: Does anyone happen to know why Macrium Reflect shows my Crucial MX500 as having a 16MB partition when none of my other drives do with the exception of my OS drive? Conversely the partition in question doesn't appear Disk Management. Screenshot-2021-04-04-175902 — ImgBB 177125
  5. Upgrading an OS that is on a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading an OS that is on a separate drive?: I have this PC running Win7. For security, I’m planning on upgrading it to Win10. The OS is installed in a SSD while all the files are in a HDD. Ive heard most people say a clean install is better than an upgrade. So, how would I go about installing win10 in my SSD, without...
  6. Disconnect non OS drives (C:) during installation.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disconnect non OS drives (C:) during installation.: Does anybody know if there is a way to disconnect drives (other than the current OS C: drive) without physically unplugging them? I get confused when I see the other drive partitions where I'm going to install Windows but I also find physically unplugging the drives a pain....
  7. Windows 10 OS upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 OS upgrade: Hi Team. I brought a new laptop couple of days before and it is installed with MS Office 10 home OS however I need to upgrade to MS Office 10 Pro . This is pre installed in my laptop. Kindly assist on how I can upgrade to new OS. Thanks Ravi R...
  8. Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives: hi, I have tried to recover windows due to an operating system corruption. Then when I was trying to log in I was said that there is a bitlocker encryption. I was able to recover that by logging into Microsoft account. However, still my non-os drives D: and E: are...
  9. Everything I need to know before I upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything I need to know before I upgrade to Windows 10: I have been a Windows 7 user for such a long time and have been holding out from upgrading for a multitude of reasons. Now I want to upgrade but I fear the repercussions that it would have on my files and my computer in general. As the title suggests, is there anything I need...
  10. Do I need to remove other non OS drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to remove other non OS drive?: Hi, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading my desktop this week while I'm on vacation. I've done my laptop with no problems at all, it's a Dell Latitude E6400 with Win7 Pro bought refurbished from Newegg. The laptop was a mid 2008 model and W10 works great on it. My question is...