Windows 10: Need to format/clean laptop HDD - Reinstalling Win 10 Question

Discus and support Need to format/clean laptop HDD - Reinstalling Win 10 Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am going to sell a laptop which currently has Win 10 installed (originally the laptop shipped with Win 8, I opted for the free upgrade). It is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Flogger23m, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Need to format/clean laptop HDD - Reinstalling Win 10 Question

I am going to sell a laptop which currently has Win 10 installed (originally the laptop shipped with Win 8, I opted for the free upgrade). It is the only drive in the laptop and has Win 10 on it, so to be on the safe side I would prefer to do a full format, and then run a drive cleaning program. I have a few questions:

1) If I were to do a full format and then reinstall Win 10 on the same HDD/laptop, will it automatically activate?

2) Anything I should be aware of before doing a full format? I recall having some trouble a while back when installing Win 10 on another machine regarding GPT or UFEI. Anything I need to keep in mind regarding this? Hardware wise I will not do any changes.

3) What is the best way to reinstall Win 10 after I format the HDD? USB drive with Win 10 .ISO or installer?

4) The Win 10 USB tool download here seems to be down. Is there any other place I can get the files needed to make a USB drive with the Win 10 installer? I am hoping there is a place I can just download the installer, drop it on a USB drive and then boot from it.

Some questions that are not purely Win 10 related:

5) What is the best method for formatting and then cleaning the drive? I was considering running crap cleaner's drive wiper but that would require me to pull the HDD from my laptop, install it in the desktop and then do a full format, run the cleaner, and then format again. Is there any utility that can accomplish this without requiring me to physically pull the HDD from my laptop?

Disclaimer: All useful data has been copied off the drive/laptop.

:)

Flogger23m, Jan 25, 2018
  2. manupela Win User

upgrade to Win10 - product key

Hello,

i initially purchased win 7 retail box and so i own a win 7 product key.

after this, i upgraded to win 8.1pro with an upgrade disk and now i would like to upgrade to win 10 online.

my question is: in the future when i will reinstall a clean copy of win10(formating the HDD and all) after the free upgrade....what product key will i need to use?

thanks in advance for your answer

manupela, Jan 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 OS files and System backup files on a same external HDD

Hello there,

I have windows 10 OS setup on my external HDD

Due to a problem i need to reinstall the OS, and as i already have 550GB of files and folders on my laptop...

As it is a HP laptop i hv backed my necessary files which cm around 255GB and i hv saved the backup on the same External HDD where my Windows 10 setup files are present...
    But the setup/boot files are separate and the backup folder is separate.

Now I would like to clean my laptop using Command prompt (disk clean/format)
    My question is, if i do so and den start the installation, Will it get installed ?

If it gets installed, will my backup folder remain safe there in the same external HDD?
    Thanks in advance...

Kindly respond...
    Shuaib Ahmed Khan

Shuaib Khan13, Jan 25, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Need to format/clean laptop HDD - Reinstalling Win 10 Question

1. yes.

2. You will be installing build 1709- I assume that's what you have now and your Windows is up to date. Otherwise there will be changes.

You will get new drivers- which could possibly be later than what you have now.

3. If your PC is currently UEFI, GPT, then installation should be straightforward.

Clean installation:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

4. Includes link at Here's How step 1 to how to create a bootable USB drive for installation.

Also see page from searching for
    microsoft media creation tool
    - to get the local page for you. (My page result is GB).

5. You could use a boot disk e.g. Kyhi's available from the top of the Software and Apps section here if you wished.
    Or you could boot to a command prompt and work from there, booting from your new Win 10 installation disk.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2018
  5. Thanks for the response.

I am looking into Kyhi's application. However, would this be a safe methodology to safely remove all data from the drive:

- Do a full re-install of Win 10 via bootable media. I am hoping this will overwrite all of the old OS data. All of the other non-OS data will be deleted.

- Load Crap Cleaner and run the Drive Wiper and wipe "Free Space Only" as shown here:
    https://images.techhive.com/images/a...79711-orig.jpg

That should wipe all of the non-OS data that was deleted.

Do you think that will be sufficient to fully and permanently clean all data off the drive? Or is it still recommended to fully wipe the entire drive prior to re-installing Win 10?

Flogger23m, Jan 26, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    It depends how forensically detailed you wish to be, and how critical any of your data might be. If you think there is very sensitive information which someone might be determined enough to use sophisticated techniques to recover, then you would want to overwrite the whole disk multiple times.

If you are less concerned and do not think someone would think it worth their while to use forensic techniques to (partially) recover data overwritten by a new OS installation, then what you suggest would be fine.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Need to format/clean laptop HDD - Reinstalling Win 10 Question

1. Need to format/clean laptop HDD - Reinstalling Win 10 Question - Similar Threads - Need format clean

2. Reinstalling Win 10 on replaced HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling Win 10 on replaced HDD: I have just replaced the HDD which had my windows 10 OS on it, this was an upgrade from win 7. I reinstalled win 7 then tried to upgrade to win 10 again. When I input the code from my Win 7 disc, as I did when I first upgraded, I get the error message saying that the code...
  3. Win 10 Clean reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Clean reinstall: I was given a Dell computer running a licensed copy Win 10.. It had a software issue after an update last month, the "Blue Screen". I resolved the issue. The owner bought a new computer, rather than mess with it, and gave me it, provided I wipe the drive. I just have the...
  4. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  5. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  6. Clean reinstal Win 10

Clean reinstal Win 10: I am running the October 2019 update on my Wi9ndown computer and everything works fine but my computer (HP with Intel i7, 16MB RAM and 3TB HDD) is now nearly 5 years old and I want to do a cleanup by reformatting the hard disk and re-install windows. If I do that, will...
  7. Question if a Windows 10 Reinstall is Needed?

Question if a Windows 10 Reinstall is Needed?: Guys, With Microsoft now making the six month new Windows 10 feature builds optional, until your system build is about to expire in 18 months when the latest build is delivered to the device automatically, what happens if you do a reinstall of the OS? Would you be updated...
  8. Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10: I'd like to do a clean install of Windows 10. My laptop came with Win 7 and I did the upgrade to Win 10 some time ago but I do not have a product key or an installation disk. As I'm purchasing a new laptop I want to pass my old machine on but want to clean it up before I...
  9. Win 10 clean install question

Win 10 clean install question: I fudged up and forgot to @ the person I was intending the message at *chuckle Still worth adding my observations though while we're comparing Macrium vs. MS imaging. MS does do high compression, but only for DVD. Macrium wins hands-down on flexibility and giving the user...
  10. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847