Windows 10: Need to know first before install Windows 10 1703

Discus and support Need to know first before install Windows 10 1703 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to know first about the freeware programs that I have on my desktop. I have heard from other sources that some computer users lost their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by imcanadian, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Need to know first before install Windows 10 1703

I need to know first about the freeware programs that I have on my desktop. I have heard from other sources that some computer users lost their freeware programs and have to reinstall them after the update of Windows 10 1703 update. Is that true about this. If yes, then I better make a backup of all the freeware programs that I have on my desktop first before go ahead to install Windows 10 1703.

Let me know about this if that is true or not.

John

:)

imcanadian, Apr 18, 2017
  2. garybear89, Apr 18, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Apr 18, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Need to know first before install Windows 10 1703

There is always a chance that something could go wrong during an upgrade. It's harder to backup programs because they tend to leave files all over the place, such as c:\windows\system32 for example.

you can either use control panel to do a repair install if the program has that option. Or download your programs in preparation to a usb stick. You could take this opportunity to update your programs.

swarfega, Apr 18, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Your specs say you have Windows 7 Home Premium. If you are thinking of upgrading this to Windows 10, you should know that a number of Windows 7 features are deprecated and will be removed in the upgrade. In particular, the Media Centre and the Windows Games will be removed. The full list of deprecated features is here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind...specifications

The Media Player will loose its ability to play DVDs, for those of us who upgraded when Windows 10 was launched...
    ...it is unclear if the 'eligible period' is now over. If so, you could purchase the Windows DVD Player app. VLC is a free alternative media player that can play DVDs.

As for your freeware programs, provided they are compatible with Windows 10 they will be retained. If Setup detects incompatible programs it will tell you what they are and ask you to uninstall them. There may well be an updated version that will work in 10. If so you could cancel the setup, update your programs and run setup again. This would ensure you carry over your settings from the earlier version before upgrading to 10.

It would be a sensible precaution before upgrading to make a system image of your existing system on an external drive.

6. First I have to update my computer specifications as I got the new desktop for over a month and a half. I forgot to change my specifications but will do shortly. Thank you for asking about this. Also I do have some of the freeware programs with exe files in USB and if some of the programs disappear after the update of Windows 10 1703 and will reinstall the exe files after the update.

Thank you,

John

imcanadian, Apr 18, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    If you are running your freeware successfully in a previous version of Windows 10 then there should be no problem running it in 1703. It is unlikely that anything would randomly 'disappear' in the upgrade - none of mine did. If you have installed the Windows 7 games they will be removed (they are deprecated, after all). They can be reinstalled after the upgrade.

Making a system image before you upgrade is still a good idea. You can do this with the built-in Backup & Restore (Windows 7), but most here would recommend Macrium Reflect (free).

8. bro67 Win User

I would personally wait for about six months on this one since it has so many changes to the code. If you do want to install, clone the current image on your drive before installing. We always suggest a clean install to keep from inheriting issues from a previous install.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to know first before install Windows 10 1703 - Similar Threads - Need before install

2. Microsoft Windows Security Updates March 2023: What you need to know before installation

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Windows Security Updates March 2023: What you need to know before installation: Welcome to the overview for the March 2023 Microsoft Windows security releases. Microsoft published security updates for all client and server versions of Windows that it supports. Security updates and non-security updates are already available for Windows and other...
  3. Before installing a device or a driver, first ....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Before installing a device or a driver, first ....: I'm not seeing how a driver package which includes additional software components for a hardware device can become installed successfully in version 1903, but the drivers don't do a thing. Autoruns lists two (verified) INF files associated with the device which should contain...
  4. Everything I need to know before I upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything I need to know before I upgrade to Windows 10: I have been a Windows 7 user for such a long time and have been holding out from upgrading for a multitude of reasons. Now I want to upgrade but I fear the repercussions that it would have on my files and my computer in general. As the title suggests, is there anything I need...
  5. Windows 10 1703 Upgrade needed?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1703 Upgrade needed?: I am using Windows 10 1703. My "windows Update" section of the software notes that My device is up to date. However, in the update and security section of Windows in "Update History" it notes "Feature update to Windows 10, 1803 amd64 2019-04" and then says requires a...
  6. What do I need to know before resetting?

What do I need to know before resetting?: My W10 is running very slow. I tried all official suggestions and suggestions in threads that did not fix it. A reset seems to be my last option. Do I need to have an activation code and do I need installation media? Is there anything else I need to know that I'm not asking?...
  7. Is there anything I need to know before doing a fresh install of Windows 10 v 1803

Is there anything I need to know before doing a fresh install of Windows 10 v 1803: My pc keeps freezing and a repair of Windows didn't fix the problem so I'm going to do a fresh install of windows on a new hard drive. Is there anything I need to know or do before doing so? Any tips?...
  8. Windows 10 installation has failed right before the first shutdown

Windows 10 installation has failed right before the first shutdown: Hi, yesterday I downloaded the windows 10 installation on my old windows 7 ultimate 64bit computer. - with 200~ gb free out of 500~ gb on C:\\ - with 0~ gb free out of 500~ gb on D:\\ - and have the latest update - using the Hebrew language on my windows 7 but most of the...
  9. UEFI install with Windows 10 1703 32bit

UEFI install with Windows 10 1703 32bit: I got my ISO directly from msdn, its a 32bit Windows 10(1703 update) Now I am having trouble getting into OOBE, it would always throw me an error "Windows could not complete the installation" I tried different solutions I found online, enabling the admin account and...
  10. Version 1703 Install Needs More RAM Disk

Version 1703 Install Needs More RAM Disk: Since I have a custom assembled PC, I thought I'd wait until Microsoft prompted me for the 1703 update. So I waited until today, when I got the nod to proceed. The download went without a hitch, as did the "Prepare for Update" step. I then clicked for a reboot, and very...