Windows 10: Need to Modify Network Names

Discus and support Need to Modify Network Names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello. I'm here about the age-old issue of network names getting a "#2" or "#3" appended to their names. For instance, I have a hotspot device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lagunajim, Sep 15, 2015.

1. lagunajim Win User

Need to Modify Network Names

Hello. I'm here about the age-old issue of network names getting a "#2" or "#3" appended to their names.

For instance, I have a hotspot device called "Hotspot". I just bought a new one today and I want to name it "Hotspot" as well -- but Windows is a clever beast, and it knows that the hardware has changed so it insists on calling my new device "Hotspot 2".

In previous versions of Windows I could go in and delete the old entries from the registry, and then the new device is detected as never having been seen before. I believe I would do this in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList -- but in Windows 10 this key exists with no subkeys.

FYI, if I go into secpol.msc and look at Network List Manager Pol, then All Networks, there are many many networks listed there - most outdated. But I cannot seem to find the corresponding entries in the registry anywhere!

Advice appreciated! /jim

:)

lagunajim, Sep 15, 2015

2. I have win 10 pro. I'm trying to delete/forget several networks BUT under 'manage WI-FI settings' there is NO 'manage known networks'

In the settings windows are you able to see list of networks??

if there are no networks then ideally u cannot see them frm command prompt!

Remove or manually delete WiFi Network Profile in Windows 10/8.1

or try to remove from registry, but u need to know name of the wifi..

caution deleteing or modifying registry incorrectly will ruin ur computer

steven crooks, Sep 15, 2015
  3. unicode characters in username in window 10 edu

Modify your user name then. If you are joining a Domain, try setting up a local account instead.

Contact your network administrator and let them choose a more suitable name maybe 'maitrung2' then join the organization.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jim, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You might see if you may be able to use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to rename the networks in secpol.msc.

Network Name - Change in Windows 8

Brink, Sep 15, 2015
  5. lagunajim Win User
    I figured out my problem - I thought I was running regedit as an admin but I was not. Now I can see the traditional 'networklist' entries and delete/modify as I wish.

Thanks! /jim

lagunajim, Sep 15, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Jim. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to Modify Network Names - Similar Threads - Need Modify Network

2. Modify account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modify account name: Hi,I installed windows 11 from scratch on my Pc, and I logged with my microsoft account in the initial phase. I had no prompt for "username", and now it is a "ricca" I'm Riccardo. I actually don't like it, and i already some script based on my actual usernaname the one I had...
  3. Modify account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modify account name: Hi,I installed windows 11 from scratch on my Pc, and I logged with my microsoft account in the initial phase. I had no prompt for "username", and now it is a "ricca" I'm Riccardo. I actually don't like it, and i already some script based on my actual usernaname the one I had...
  4. MP3 metadata such as Album name can't be modified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MP3 metadata such as Album name can't be modified: Hi, for the recent months, I have been facing a problem when editing the metadata of my MP3 files. When I try to change any of the file's metadata, such as the album name or artist, it says the following:An unexpected error is keeping you from applying properties to the file....
  5. Network 'names'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network 'names': Until recently I could select which network to connect to, including an external device that only uses wifi and does not need internet. Now, instead of names for the networks, downstairs, upstairs, mydevice, etc., it shows Connected to local area 2, or 3, etc. I need those...
  6. Network Names

Network Names: Hallo folks! I have four internet channels.. 2 wifi, and 2 ethernet. Now, when I install the two wifi channels I have sometimes back a wifi24000 and another wifi5000. These names works perfect, but regarding the Ethernet connections, my computer is connecting to the...
  7. Network Name

Network Name: In Windows 10, how do I change the Network Name of my Local Area Connection? Do NOT suggest I run secpol.msc, because the Windows Run command says it can't find secpol.msc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-name/7dece558-e1ec-4da0-8079-2370ba305189
  8. Modifying User name from Chinese to English.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modifying User name from Chinese to English.: I need to install a simulator, but my system user name is Chinese characters, I need to change it to English characters, what should I do? ***Modified Title from: How to Modify System User name***...
  9. How to Modify System User Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Modify System User Name: I need to install a simulator, but my system user name is Chinese characters, I need to change it to English characters, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-modify-system-user-name/44b0ebc1-431f-4527-9d24-145c5e359787
  10. Modify user account name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Modify user account name: Sadly I need to rename my Win 10 user account as a character used in it clashes with a software program. The problem is new to this product version as I have used earlier versions since 2012. How do I go about this since the folder name doesn't change with the user name. I...