Windows 10: need to recover from odd desktop screen

Discus and support need to recover from odd desktop screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A friends PC has this odd desktop screen when starting up. I suspect that he has altered something by accident but cannot see what he has done. Can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bobkat, May 30, 2017.

1. bobkat Win User

need to recover from odd desktop screen

A friends PC has this odd desktop screen when starting up. I suspect that he has altered something by accident but cannot see what he has done. Can anyone suggest a cure.

Thanks

:)

bobkat, May 30, 2017

2. Photos just randomly disappeared

Hello,

It does seem odd that a folder has dissapeared, but here are some things that may help:

First, as you said it was on the desktop, you'll want to go to the desktop folder and see if it's visible there. This can happen if your desktop gets full and all items are not shown. To get to the desktop folder, go to

"C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Contacts\Desktop"

This will open a folder, but of your desktop. See if it's in there.

If not, we will assume it has been deleted, and try to recover them.

You'll want to download a program called 'Recuva':

Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!

Download and install this program, and when you run, it will ask what you want to look for. Select what you need and it will do a search. See if you can see any images from the folder in there. If you can't, I'd recommend a deep scan, which will take much,
    much longer but may recover some images.

You may also want to invest in a backup drive, or cloud storage.

Sam

V0PLASMA0V, May 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer not responsive on Task Bar.

Hello community.

I still need a resolution to the above File Explorer issue. Any new thoughts?

If it helps, I've also noticed another odd thing. I saved and zipped a document to my Desktop. If I right click that zipped folder on my Desktop, the screen does a refresh and I never get the selection menu.

Thanks everyone.

JamesEastman, May 30, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

@bobkat

Quite likely your friend has it in Tablet Mode. Check this setting in the Action Menu, bottom right of taskbar. If highligted, it is on, click to turn it off.

need to recover from odd desktop screen [​IMG]

f14tomcat, May 30, 2017
  5. bobkat Win User
    Thanks for that info. He is 94 and not too well at the moment and tends to press buttons to try them out.

I have never noticed that option on my own PC but on your instruction found it this morning.

I shall call on him and try it out.

Again, thanks.

bobkat, May 30, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Best wishes to your friend. Hope this straightens things out. TC

f14tomcat, May 30, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "I shall call on him and try it out. ... Again, thanks. Bobkat"

You might try installing Teamviewer ( TeamViewer Windows Download for Remote Desktop access and collaboration ) on both his and your computer so you can hook up remotely and fix issues quicker for him. I do this for a few elderly family members, none as old as 94 though, God Bless Him.

mrgeek, May 30, 2017
  8. bobkat Win User

Hi again. Ifirst carried out your suggestion on my own laptop and I was able to switch touch screen on and off. no problem. Today, I went across to my friend fully sure that I was going to cure his screen problem.

Afraid not. Switching the button for touch screen did nothing on his PC. Any further suggestions would be gratefully received. His monitor is a fairly large LG TV/Montor combined but he doesn't have it set up as a tv. Not sure if it would have any effect anyway.

I found out today that he is 94 on next Friday. I am only 82.

bobcat

bobkat, Jun 1, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head, the system thinks it really is a "tablet". You could try uninstalling the device and driver, reboot, and let Windows try to recognize the LG/Monitor again. Sometimes if you mess too much with cables or settings it gets confused real fast.

f14tomcat, Jun 1, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    In Settings > System > Tablet mode the default at sign-in is to 'Use the appropriate mode for my hardware'. You can change this to always use desktop mode.

Thema:

1. need to recover from odd desktop screen - Similar Threads - need recover odd

2. Deleted folder from desktop. Can't recover it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted folder from desktop. Can't recover it: When i uninstalled adobe acrobat some, folders from my desktop deleted themselves not in the recycle bin and when I try to acces them through quick acces it wont open and gives me this message: "C: \Users\anaci\Desktop\BIP PORTUGAL is unavailable. If the location is on this...
  3. Deleted folder from desktop. Can't recover it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted folder from desktop. Can't recover it: When i uninstalled adobe acrobat some, folders from my desktop deleted themselves not in the recycle bin and when I try to acces them through quick acces it wont open and gives me this message: "C: \Users\anaci\Desktop\BIP PORTUGAL is unavailable. If the location is on this...
  4. Deleted folder from desktop. Can't recover it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. KB5018410 oddly breaks remote desktop

KB5018410 oddly breaks remote desktop: I have used remote desktop load balancing for about three years with little issue until yesterday, when my some, but not all, of my users started reporting an error similar to the following.The remote computer BETA.domain.com that you are trying to connect to is redirecting...
  6. KB5018410 oddly breaks remote desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5018410 oddly breaks remote desktop: I have used remote desktop load balancing for about three years with little issue until yesterday, when my some, but not all, of my users started reporting an error similar to the following.The remote computer BETA.domain.com that you are trying to connect to is redirecting...
  7. Odd screen flickering

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd screen flickering: Hello All,I know this type of question has been asked numerous times, but I can't figure out how to fix this problem. I have an ASUS Transformer Flip TP550L. It is an intel i5 with an intel HD 5500 graphics, Ever since I undated to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update a couple...
  8. Odd and annoying behavior with Remote Desktop and 2 screens

Odd and annoying behavior with Remote Desktop and 2 screens: OK I've got a small but annoying behavior with latest AMD Graphic driver with my 2 screen setup using remote desktop for work. When I connect to RDP, I'm full screen with the 2 screens. Whenever I get out (Ctrl+Alt+Home) without reducing the window, I place it on my second...
  9. Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd behavior for desktop taskbar buttons: I think I posted about this before with no solution, but I discovered another element that I hope will be familiar to someone or lead to an answer. This only affects desktop taskbar buttons to file explorer folders, not buttons to programs or browsers. I will click on a...
  10. Need explanation on odd figures from Copy/Transfer rates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need explanation on odd figures from Copy/Transfer rates: Ok so basically I am trying to figure why would I get 3 different readings from windows from a file Copy/Move operation , first things first this is an internal SSHD trying to copy files to another internal SSHD both running on a Sata 3 interface . Now the remark is I get a...