Windows 10: Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents"

Discus and support Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I did a new install of Windows 10, my user name changed from 'Dave' (in Windows 7) to 'doher' (in Windows 10). At the time I was not happy about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nhbeachguy, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents"

When I did a new install of Windows 10, my user name changed from 'Dave' (in Windows 7) to 'doher' (in Windows 10). At the time I was not happy about it, but too many things eventually tied to the new name I just decided to stick with it.

In Win 7, my documents were in C:\Users\Dave\Documents and I have links within many MS Word and Excel documents all over the place that point to other documents or folders. For example, in the document with this path:
    D:\doher\Documents\finance\budget.docx I could have (in Word terms) a 'hyperlink' (that I made during the Win 7 days) that points to C:\Users\Dave\Documents\finance\budget-details.docx

What I've been doing up to now is editing the hyperlink and replacing "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" with "D:\doher\Documents" at the beginning of the hyperlink "address" - the link then works again.

I thought I could avoid this if I just had some sort of redirect. Since "C:\Users\Dave" does not exist in Win 10, why can't I just have a hard link (or something) so that all references to "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" point to "D:\doher\Documents"?

In researching this, I saw things about the location tab... I created a C:\Users\Dave\Documents and did properties on Documents - but there was no location tab to do a redirect.

If anyone has a solution to this that would be great!

Also, if anyone has a smarter way of doing this (referencing other files within files) that would be great too. I realize this would (probably) be hung overhead, but too bad there is not a way to scan all the documents, look for broken links and have a way to do a mass change. Or even better if I rename a file, all the links to it get updated.

Thanks,
    Dave

:)

nhbeachguy, Dec 27, 2016
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Dec 27, 2016
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Dec 27, 2016
  4. Teflon Win User

Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents"

I'm pretty sure you could use the "Mklink" command to achieve what you need. I used it some while ago in Win 7 to redirect "My Documents" to a folder on my NAS when Windows wouldn't allow me to include the folder in my Windows Library. Can't honestly remember the precise method now, but I seem to recall it involved using an elevated Command prompt to create a dummy folder that directed Windows to the folder on my NAS.

No doubt one of the resident experts here will be able to confirm if this is the way to go, and to perhaps provide more explicit instructions, otherwise it may be worthwhile Googling "Mklink" to see what that throws up.

Cheers,

Cliff

Teflon, Dec 27, 2016
  5. I may be missing something, but why does it need to be redirected? I've always wondered this. I usually store my documents on a D partition, but I have nothing redirected. Works fine for me. I think for Windows 7, I used to add the locations to Libraries, but I haven't done so with Windows 10.

DeaconFrost, Dec 27, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    The "redirect" most likely is for programs to see the new location. I use D:\Documents and D:\Downloads, no user name involved. My Firefox downloads all go to the D: partition. This is a new computer with 150GB C: and 701GB D: partitions [not my favorite partitioning scheme but it works for now].

Berton, Dec 27, 2016
  7. Teflon Win User
    In my cae, a re-direct was needed as Windows 7 would not accept a network folder for "My Documents". I therefore used Mklink to redirect from the old folder location on my "D" drive, to my NAS. In the case of the OP, I believe he is looking for a redirect to avoid having to change all the hard coded links in his various documents.

Cliff

Teflon, Dec 27, 2016
  8. Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents"

Exactly, and I did use mklink as you suggested. The links now work in my documents without haveing to edit them. So far, no downside.
    -- Thanks for the help.

This is what I used:

Code: C:\>mklink /J C:\Users\Dave\Documents D:\doher\Documents Junction created for C:\Users\Dave\Documents <<===>> D:\doher\Documents[/quote]

nhbeachguy, Dec 28, 2016
  9. Teflon Win User
    Your welcome, glad it worked. *Smile

Cliff

Teflon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents"

1. Need to redirect "C:\Users\Dave\Documents" to "D:\doher\Documents" - Similar Threads - Need redirect UsersDaveDocuments

2. One Drive - Redirect OneDrive to Drive D, rather than the default of C:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive - Redirect OneDrive to Drive D, rather than the default of C:: Most NEW Computers have the root drive as an SSD for C: How can I redirect the OneDrive files to synch to D, which is much larger than C :?...
  3. One Drive - Redirect OneDrive to Drive D, rather than the default of C:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive - Redirect OneDrive to Drive D, rather than the default of C:: Most NEW Computers have the root drive as an SSD for C: How can I redirect the OneDrive files to synch to D, which is much larger than C :?...
  4. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing C:/ to D:/: Hi I have a computer that has a C drive and a D drive. My C drive is much smaller than my D drive and is nearly full. Therefore I want to change the default location of programs, documents, images, downloads etc to D drive. how do I do this? see attached...
  5. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing C:/ to D:/: Hi I have a computer that has a C drive and a D drive. My C drive is much smaller than my D drive and is nearly full. Therefore I want to change the default location of programs, documents, images, downloads etc to D drive. how do I do this? see attached...
  6. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  8. Can I redirect Program files to D drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I redirect Program files to D drive?: Split from this thread. HI, If I do this. To change the default installation path, just follow below steps: 1. Press Windows key + R and type gpedit.msc 1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. 2. At the right panel, look for...
  9. C: and D: drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  10. C: to D:

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: to D:: My computer is starting to lag - it's a year old i5 7th gen. - can't figure out why. C: is filling up and I want to move things to D: which 930GB free space. BUt when I try I get an error. ????????????? [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Redirected a Music Folder to my NAS but no extra space created on C drive?