Need to reformat USB Thumb -- any recommended third party software?

Discus and support Need to reformat USB Thumb -- any recommended third party software? in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; I have a thumb drive which Windows Disk Management Command line tricks won't fix. Does anyone recommend a third party software for this? 111531 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Jun 3, 2018.

1. The Pool Man Win User

I have a thumb drive which Windows Disk Management Command line tricks won't fix. Does anyone recommend a third party software for this?

:)

The Pool Man, Jun 3, 2018
  2. LHL711 Win User

usb 3.0 thumb drive not working or recognized

I have a usb thumb drive that is not being read or recognized by my computer. It is listed in devices as unspecified and have done the troubleshooting with no success. The status for this device states "Driver error" and "Needs troubleshooting". As I
    stated, I have tried to troubleshoot but without success.

I do not want to reformat the drive as I need the information on the device. Is their any way to repair the driver on the usb without losing the information? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LHL711, Jun 4, 2018
  3. Eeshwar Kumar Win User
    Reformatted thumb drive

Hello John,

Thank you for getting back to us with the requested information. We apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

• Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and select
      device manager from the list. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • In the list of hardware categories, find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click
      Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    • Restart the computer, and let the USB controllers get reinstalled.
    • Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 4, 2018
Thema:

Need to reformat USB Thumb -- any recommended third party software? - Similar Threads - Need reformat USB

1. Need help. Do I go wireless or wired for desktop gaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help. Do I go wireless or wired for desktop gaming: Ok, My wife is taking the spare room where my Desktop PC is currently and the modem I am hooked up to. And I am moving my rig in the basement to the opposite side of the house which will be about 46 ft away from the modem. So, should I go wireless? I was thinking on buying...
  2. pparently Windows needs more space on my C Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    pparently Windows needs more space on my C Drive: Apparently Windows needs more space on my (C:) drive for its latest update. However, when I open the 'Storage Usage' box in 'Settings' it shows that I have 7.39GB of 'Temporary Files'. When I open the 'Temp. file' it shows a total of just a few MB's. Any suggestions? I show...
  3. Windows Needs More Space???

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Needs More Space???: Apparently Windows needs more space on my (C:) drive for its latest update. However, when I open the 'Storage Usage' box in 'Settings' it shows that I have 7.39GB of 'Temporary Files'. When I open the 'Temp. file' it shows a total of just a few MB's. Any suggestions? I show...
  4. Need to replace cpu and gpu

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need to replace cpu and gpu: I have a AMD-A20-5800k APU processor. This is a cpu and gpu in one. I need to upgrade so to do that would I need to just remove this processor and add a new gpu/cpu? Thanks for all help
  5. Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Alert about firmware update being needed for security processor (TPM): I have an HP laptop running Windows 10. On the task bar there is an icon that indicates "Action Recommended." I click it, and it takes me to "Windows Defender Security Center." I find an exclamation mark near "Device security." It says "A firmware update is needed for your...
  6. Unwanted Apps in Start, Need help with script

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unwanted Apps in Start, Need help with script: I Created a few scripts that removes all bloat preinstalled and unpins everything, but some items remain... .Having trouble to create a script that will "uninstall / unpin" the following apps listed below from start Candy Crush Soda Saga Disney Magic Kingdoms Bubble Witch...
  7. Need Hard Drive reformatting help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Hard Drive reformatting help: Hello everyone, I have got a external hard drive that was used for extra storage with a Dish DVR. We now want to format it for use on windows now. I been doing some research on it and everything so far I tried, didnt work. I have tried using Western Digitals Tool to do...