Windows 10: Need to see program files on external hard drive.

Discus and support Need to see program files on external hard drive. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 did an update on my wife's desktop that was incompatible with the Nvidia graphic drivers on it. As a result, the dual monitors no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bob101, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Bob101 Win User

Need to see program files on external hard drive.

Windows 10 did an update on my wife's desktop that was incompatible with the Nvidia graphic drivers on it. As a result, the dual monitors no longer display. We took the computer to the local Microsoft store and they were fully aware of the problem and are working on it. But, after two weeks, the problem has not been solved. Meanwhile we bought a new desktop and had Microsoft empty the entire contents of the C: drive onto an external hard drive. They did and showed me that the external drive contained the root directory and program data that contains years of work using Lightroom.

I brought the external hard drive home and connected it. Luckily I can see the User Libraries but not the Program Data.

Is there some way that I can make everything visible in the external hard drive so that I can copy the contents to the new desktop?

:)

Bob101, Aug 29, 2015

2. Transferring programs and files

Hi,

I would suggest doing both, transfer first all the program and files to an external hard drive to assure that you will have a backup and not lost program and files then transfer it to new. If you only need to transfer or move the program files and not
    the program itself, you can locate the folder file that contains all of the program information and copies it to an external drive. If the program will not operate from the external hard drive, it is tied into the computer registry of the initial computer
    and cannot be circumvented. If that is the case, only the data files for the program can be used from the external drive.

If you have further question feel free to post.

Renaldo cru, Aug 29, 2015
  3. CraigLong Win User
    Moving files to an external drive

You can't just move the program files to another drive because for one they need the registry to operate and you will break the connection.

How to Move Program Files to a Secondary Hard Drive - dummies

The way to move a program file is to uninstall it and then reinstall it on the secondary hard drive. An external drive may not be the best place to install a program.

CraigLong, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Need to see program files on external hard drive.

If, by program data, you mean applications, then sorry, you're not going to be able to "migrate" the applications from the external drive to your new desktop simply by copying folders. Applications have components installed in many different places, including the registry, and it involves a lot more than copying folder from Program Data to migrate them.

LapLink sells a product (PC Mover) that IS able to migrate apps from one PC to another, but you either have to (1) install it on the first PC and migrate to the second, or (2) have a backup image of the first PC and mount that on the second to do the migration. However, it MIGHT work if you have a copy of the first. I would check with LapLink to see if their product will do app migration in your situation. IF it does, then you will be able to install it on the new desktop and do the migration.

However, there is a second problem alluded to by your last question. Win10 enables FastStartup by default. With this turned on, all partitions that are open when Win10 shuts down are put into a hibernated state -- which prevents them from being accessed until the original machine comes out of hibernation. I ran into this problem when I was dual-booting Win8.1 and Win10TP and using a shared NTFS partition. I had to disable FastStartup on both Win8.1 and Win10 to be able to safely used a shared partition. I don't know if there is a way to access the partitions in the external drive, if FastStartup was enabled in Win10. Perhaps someone else can help you with this.

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    To view you can use 7Zip. But to just move the app data files is not enough like Mark said:

There are also the .dll and .ocx(if applicable) files, there is the WinSxS files, there are other file tucked deeper in C:/User/App Data. that's for programs. But if you just want data(document and photos...etc. You can use 7Zip to view and move/copy when you set it in 2 panel mode.

Need to see program files on external hard drive. [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Shot in the dark, maybe they're just hidden?

Torquemada, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Bob101 Win User
    Thank you: Here is a bit of clarification. I don't need to move applications, only hidden Program Files. The way Lightroom works is that it does not physically alter the original photos. Instead, it stores the edit commands in a separate catalog in an Adobe folder under Program Data.

I have installed Lightroom on the new computer and the photos there as well. I am only trying to see and export the Lightroom catalog that contains the edit commands. Otherwise, Lightroom has tools to find photos that may have been relocated.

Bob101, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Bob101 Win User

Thanks. I have tried the Hidden option to know avail. I have two other possibilities. Perhaps the Microsoft store will fix the problem. They say that the machine and the hard drive are in good working order.

It is backed up using Backblaze (which is similar to Carbonite) but I will have to do a serious download of zip files to recover the image. I was hoping that someone knew another option.

Bob101, Aug 29, 2015
  9. Torquemada, Aug 29, 2015
  10. YOU
    You Win User
    What happens if type <drive letter of external drive>\ProgramData into the Run dialog and click OK? Does it give an error? Or perhaps r antivirus removed the entire folder for some reason into the quarantine.

11. Ztruker Win User
    Try unchecking this

then click Apply and Apply to all folders.

Ztruker, Aug 30, 2015
  12. Bob101 Win User
    The last two suggestions seem to have helped me with the puzzle. When I tried the Run command, it told me that it couldn't find the the file. When I unchecked Hide protected operating system files, it showed me three files. The recycle bin, the folder name and the System Volume Information. When I clicked on System Volume Information it showed me an IndexerVolumeGuid and a file called WPSettings.dat.

When I clicked on WPSettings.dat, it displayed a Norton screen with a check mark. I don't use Norton. It may have been quarantined by the laptop in the Microsoft store. .

Bob101, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to see program files on external hard drive. - Similar Threads - Need program files

2. Windows 10 does not see external hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 does not see external hard drives: As the title says, Windows 10 doesn't see my external drives, but it does see a USB stick. Background: I have shrunk C: Drive, created a simple volume with disk management and it shows as new volume? F:, which is behind my Data drive. I don't know if this is coincidence or if...
  3. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  4. Microsoft Store not seeing My External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store not seeing My External Hard drive: Hello I'm having trouble with the Microsoft store not detecting My External Hard drive it's saying From your compatible drives pick one with at least 127.0 GB And all that comes up is C: 10.9 GB Disk space remaining When I have got a hard drive which is called WEOYC25-1T F:...
  5. external hard drive. Why won't file manager see it.

external hard drive. Why won't file manager see it.: I want to see what,s in my hard drive but when I power the external drive on no G: is shown in the file manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-why-wont-file-manager-see-it/315d1b36-4929-4491-90ec-f5f3cc509684
  6. Files on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files on External Hard Drive: can i edit, rename,delete, organize photos and files that are on an external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-on-external-hard-drive/7f4616f5-8277-4ed5-88c1-fb019bcd810a
  7. External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs

External Hard Drive Question - seeing two Drive Fs: I have Win 10 Home with two internal drives 128GB SSD (C) containing the Windows OS and a I TB data drive (D). I recently made a disk image of the two drives as source driveswith Macrium and an external Iomega 500GB destination drive (F). Macrium verified that the image was...
  8. files on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files on external hard drive: Hi, This a bit complicated We had a PC crash last year & PC world downloaded all our files on our Maxtor external hard drive now I want to put all our pictures/ photos back on & if I click on the file & find 'send' it only offers to send the file to Docs or shortcut to...
  9. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  10. My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives

My Computer Doesn't "See" External Hard Drives: Toshiba laptop, W10 Home, Ver 1803 I have 2 external hard drives. When I plug either of them into a USB port I hear the normal beep sound, indicating they've been recognized but they don't automatically play, even though auto play is enabled . They don't even show up in...