Windows 10: Needs some help with - windows reset engine stopped working

Discus and support Needs some help with - windows reset engine stopped working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, So I've been having this error for idk at least 2-3months now, happens every now and then, but at least 1x by each windows login. Think it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TedJones, Mar 7, 2016.

1. TedJones Win User

Needs some help with - windows reset engine stopped working

Hi,

So I've been having this error for idk at least 2-3months now, happens every now and then, but at least 1x by each windows login.

Think it started by one more recent Cumulative Update probably around December,. I also stumbled on one MS thread and that user reported it around the same time as I first noticed it for the first time.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-01b6b55ea410

I've also posted there, but those tech helpers looked useless with pointless suggestions.

In event viewer
    In Reliability monitor

SFC scannow didn't do anything, rebuilding WMI didnt help either.. DISM online also nothing.

Any tips what should I do? Please. *Smile

:)

TedJones, Mar 7, 2016

2. Microsoft windows reset engine stopped working

I've started having this problem following the installation of the Anniversary Update on 08/26. I leave my computer running all the time.

When I run the Reliability Monitor, I see 50+ of these events daily, usually about 5 minutes apart. My Reliability Index stays at 1.

I have run SFC. It says there are no problems with Windows components. What is the next step to fixing this?

Needs some help with - windows reset engine stopped working [​IMG]

GlynnBrooks, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Microsoft windows reset engine stopped working

Hi,

The DISM scan or System Update Readiness tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Step 1: Open an Administrator command prompt
    window by following this:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Command Prompt (Admin) option.

• Click on Yes and continue. Provide administrator password if prompted.

• Check if it says Administrator: Command Prompt at the top of the command prompt window.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the
    CMD Prompt:

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Step 3: Close the command window and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps.

Jenith_James, Mar 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

For reference/background only- sorry!
    Windows 8 DLL File Information - reseteng.dll
    (refers to Win 8, but gives an idea of related dlls)
    Data Execution Prevention
    description of BEX error and report, which comments:

P8 C0000005 Indicates a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION exception (If this parameter is c0000409, the problem is a /GS-related fault) - which is not explained...!

These are the only occurrences of reseteng.dll on mine- note I've added the version number:

My Windows version 10586.122

Only three approaches occur to me- but there are people far more expert here than I- so hopefully someone will have a better idea.

What is the functional significance, if any - or do you only notice this by inspecting these reports?

1. monitor with Sysinternals Procmon and try to capture the event.
    This will be very difficult to achieve and to make anything of, especially as it is infrequent.

2. Try (somewhat randomly) an in-place upgrade repair install. (See Tutorial Index above, CTRL-F, type in- and you'll find the details). This will take you back initially to the November build, preserving most settings and all programs. If you then make sure no windows updates are applied for a while you can see if the symptoms change.

However it seems as though both the report you quote and your own problems occurred soon after the November update, although perhaps we can't be sure if a further update was applied.

3. Check if any driver updates were done around the time you first noticed the event.
    (Driver properties sheet, Events).

dalchina, Mar 7, 2016
  5. TedJones Win User
    System works fine, never saw anything unusual when those errors occur.

Im somewhat more tech oriented user and this thing was something out of my knowledge. But I never monitored or used those tools you've mentioned.

There was a security update today Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140768)

And now when I checked reliability monitor I didnt see it yet @ 9.3.2016, although I saw one happened at ~ 9pm, then one ~ 10Pm @ 8.3.2016..

and later

Update started hmm, think a little later or inbetween.. Damn should have payed more attention *Biggrin

Im now on PC since ~ 1am and didnt see one yet.

Will need to investigate more.

About driver, well I updated intel MEI, Intel Lan, nvidia gpu driver few times.. Other then that nothing unusual.

TedJones, Mar 8, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Regarding driver updates, drivers are maintained by Win 10. If your drivers are newer or older than Uncle MS dictates, they will be replaced. This has given rise to problems for some users, esp. with older hardware. That's background.

What I meant was- did Win 10 automatically update any driver around the time your problem started?
    However
    a. That is probably too historic
    b. Just a thought without evidence looking for possible cause of conflict
    c. Is by no means the only possible cause of course

You need-
    someone who's solved it
    exact diagnosis
    return to a situation where it no longer occurs and note what causes the symptom

None of which is likely to be at all easy in this case, I suspect

dalchina, Mar 8, 2016
  7. TedJones Win User
    I have disabled auto driver install, it installs only drivers missing on my computer.

I dont have really old computer, intel 4770K, asus Z87 deluxe, creative XFI titanium HD, nvidia 980ti.

Well I still got one error today later on.. So that new security update didnt do anything.. meh *Sad

System reset is not really a option atm, have too much stuff installed to start from scratch.

I've also send MS error report maybe it will be fixed soon.. *crosses fingers*

TedJones, Mar 8, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

I'd guess it's an unusual one, and since it's not a show stopper, not too serious..
    Else someone else might have replied by now..

Normally should leave drivers to update, unless you have special reason to keep particular versions.. but it's probably not driver related anyway.

dalchina, Mar 8, 2016
  9. TedJones Win User
    All are up to date, I just don't like MS shoving me nvidia drivers or reverting them or installing extra stuff I dont need (3dvision, geforce experience, etc)

Dunno, I doubt its a driver thing, maybe just some weird internal bug. I could try to repair windows store apps, but last time I used this command @ TH2 it messed up my settings so i didnt use it again, TH1 was ok back then.

Anyway thanks for the help. Will keep this thread updated if I find anything or if someone else has any extra info *Smile

TedJones, Mar 8, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Yes, alas the Powershell commands worked until November build 1511, then broke apps - only fix then in-place upgrade repair install (instructions in Tutorial).

Drivers- was just thinking what might have been changed that triggered the problem, assuming it didn't exist at some point, but it's more likely to be sthg subtle. Problem is there's not much to go on.

If you did an in-place upgrade repair install you'd get fresh Windows files of build 1511, but settings will generally be retained.

If you wanted to explore this seriously, you could try to get (back) to a point where the symptom doesn't occur:

Image your system partition/disk (so you can restore it later)
    Reinstall fresh Windows (as an experiment), limiting updates while you discover whether you then have the symptom.
    Proceed with updates etc as before looking for the symptom to recur.

At any time, you can restore the disk image so you'd be back where you are now.

But is it worth all that effort for no real certainty of a useful outcome?

dalchina, Mar 8, 2016
  11. TedJones Win User
    Ok I found whats this mumbo jumbo *chuckle, its a task in task scheduler

This thing activates when system is idle and its for

And i got that error at exactly the same time as mentioned here in task scheduler

Now idk what it cleans, but I can disable it..

Old files, as in old update files?

TedJones, Mar 9, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Oh, brilliant! That must have taken some patience; one day I must discover a way to search the task scheduler/log. It's been in the back of my mind for a while, and I suspect there isn't a way.

I see nothing there in my task scheduler. Would be interesting to know what the action is..

Idea: if this report was triggered by that last update, try uninstalling the update, then see if you still get the report (you can run the task manually now you know it's there), then allow the update and check again.

Possibly a routine cleanup task after Windows installation or update as you suggest. Perhaps a task which is created by an update, then deleted? (= not normally required).

If you simply delete the task you may not be able to have this cleanup task run after any future update.

Seems remarkably hard to identify by general internet search.. like the error msg and number. I keep wondering what the 'reset' means.

dalchina, Mar 9, 2016
  13. TedJones Win User

I found it by accident, was looking for another task schedule then I saw this.

Its disabled now and no errors yet. Will keep it this way for now *Smile

TedJones, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Needs some help with - windows reset engine stopped working - Similar Threads - Needs help reset

2. Need some help...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some help...: So I tried resetting a laptop that used to be my brother's. After it was all done it brought me to the login screen with the same User Account. I tried using the password associated with it and it gave me an error saying "the user profile service failed the sign-in." I found...
  3. Need some helpful help

Need some helpful help: So I was trying to download an editing software, on my Window 10, but I couldn't install it because I was missing opencl.dll, but I found the opencl.dll in File Explorer, so i dragged it in the System32 file. But now i faced with a new problem. My new problem is "the...
  4. Factory resetting my windows but I need some help

Factory resetting my windows but I need some help: So I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff at all, and don't ask why but I'm completely resetting my pc. I'm just wondering, from doing the method that cleans my drive completely and erases all my data, I'm pretty sure I have to download my driver's again right? My pc is...
  5. Need some help :

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need some help :: Hi! I recently update my windows 10 and got this issue: Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. I followed this question first:...
  6. I need some help with stopping spam

in Browsers and Email
    I need some help with stopping spam: So, i just reinstalled firefox, and i realized what a spam monster it is right off the bat. It seems like you can get rid of most ads by installing adblocker, just like you can get rid of most cookies warnings by installing the addon called i dont care about cookies. With...
  7. Need some help with a formula in WORKS

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Need some help with a formula in WORKS: Hi Guys I need some help in setting up a formula for %. I want to do the following B2 minus A1 = D1 as a percentage Sorry, messed cells up, but basically want to buy/sell shares, show profit, and the % profit 114416
  8. Need some help with a formula in WORKS

in Windows 10 Support
    Need some help with a formula in WORKS: Hi Guys I need some help in setting up a formula for %. I want to do the following B2 minus A1 = D1 as a percentage Sorry, messed cells up, but basically want to buy/sell shares, show profit, and the % profit 114416
  9. Help! Need guide to reset some appearances...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help! Need guide to reset some appearances...: [img] Why is the taskbar black??? I remember this to be white... Please help guys... 35509
  10. W10 search engine stopped working.

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 search engine stopped working.: Last night, my Windows 10 search engine stopped working. I can't click on a link someone gives me in a post and I can't even try to access a link manually. The only way I can look something up is on my Firefox search engine...........when DuckDuckgo is my preference. 95082