Windows 10: Neighbor's security camera is interfering with my wi-fi

Discus and support Neighbor's security camera is interfering with my wi-fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been experiencing slow wi-fi/fluctuating speeds for a couple of weeks. I finally figured out it's my neighbor's new security camera that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JBGoode, Feb 14, 2017.

1. JBGoode Win User

Neighbor's security camera is interfering with my wi-fi

I've been experiencing slow wi-fi/fluctuating speeds for a couple of weeks. I finally figured out it's my neighbor's new security camera that is causing interference on the 2.4 ghz band. My router is dual band but unfortunately all of my devices are only single band so changing to the 5.0 ghz band is not an option.

Is there anything I can do here? I don't think moving my router is going to help any. This is driving me nuts.

:)

JBGoode, Feb 14, 2017

2. Why does Windows 10 Action Center tell me my neighbor's wifi needs action?

I'm running Windows 10, and since updating to the Creator's version, the Action Center keeps placing a message that says my neighbor's Wi-Fi connection needs action. I don't have access to my neighbor's Wi-Fi, nor do I want it. If I click on the message
    in order to delete it, that disconnects my own Wi-Fi. Okay, so I reconnect--but a short while later I get another message about the neighbor's Wi-Fi.

This isn't a big problem, just getting rather annoying.

Sherry Something, Feb 14, 2017
  3. I Cannot Install Anything From The Windows 10 Store

I have no security like that on my router and it does this. I went over to my neighbors and tried to use their Wi-Fi to see if it would work and it says the same thing. So it isn't my wifi.

Brayden5234, Feb 14, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

All you can do is change your channel and keep your eye on it as they may change theirs at times

Samuria, Feb 14, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    You could consider powerline adapters. They're usually more stable and can be faster than wifi but not in every situation.

I use powerline 1200s which have gigabit ethernet ports but you could consider the 500 range for instance to lower the cost.

Not only are they usually more stable but your bypassing your neighbour's interference totally.

swarfega, Feb 14, 2017
  6. chuck1959 Win User
    While this might not help much... You can read about a feud between neighbors here: Neighbors maybe Jamming our WiFi signal! Need help proving it., page 1

One of the things is an old FCC rule. It basically says you can't interfere with someone else's "reception" but YOU MUST accept any that interferes with you. Kinda weird eh? lol Below is what someone wrote on the above url.

There is a far simpler explanation. The primary user of 2.4Ghz band is radiolocation. 2.4ghz is what is also called a ISM “industrial scientific and medical” band. Devices that use RF power to heat, and process stuff will use that band. 2.4ghz wifi is a secondary user of the band. That means that it can not cause interference to the primary user of the band, and it must accept all interference from anyone without any authority over anyone.

Not sure if this will help at all but thought since I had used CB radios and radio scanners in the past, if there was a problem with them I HAD to accept any interference. Although the FCC wouldn't probably do anything. If you determine the exact cause I would at least attempt to file a report with them.

chuck1959, Feb 14, 2017
  7. JBGoode Win User
    Thanks. I've tried multiple channels and it really doesn't work. I checked the manual for her camera and I think it uses multiple channels depending if she's fiddling with the monitor.

I'm moving in a few months so I'm not making too big a deal of it. She only has it there so she can watch cars that enter our lot and see who's throwing stuff in the dumpster. She's just an irritating, nosy person. *Wink She's been agreeable to turn it off when I ask. I usually still have enough speed for random browsing but Netflix needs the speed.

JBGoode, Feb 14, 2017
  8. Kyhi Win User

9. JBGoode Win User
    JBGoode, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Neighbor's security camera is interfering with my wi-fi - Similar Threads - Neighbor's security camera

2. Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured: Shows I have “no Wi-Fi, secured” no one else connected is having this issue, it’s fine after I reset the router however but the next time I turn the computer off and back on, the same issue...
  3. Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi connection issues No Wi-Fi, Secured: Shows I have “no Wi-Fi, secured” no one else connected is having this issue, it’s fine after I reset the router however but the next time I turn the computer off and back on, the same issue...
  4. Laptop does not recognize home wi-fi, but does recognize neighbor's wi-fi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop does not recognize home wi-fi, but does recognize neighbor's wi-fi: Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro N, Version 2004, OS build 19041.746. My Dell Inspiron laptop is not able to recognize my home wi-fi network, however my laptop does recognize a number of wi-fi networks coming from my neighbors. i.e. my home wi-fi does not show up as an...
  5. Wi – Fi Network Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wi – Fi Network Security: With the latest Windows update just prior to 09/07/2020 of course they had to change up where to find how to locate your wireless network password. Could you let us know how to do it now?...
  6. Wi-Fi network not secure

Wi-Fi network not secure: how do I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-network-not-secure/8e566085-6577-435c-b7ae-ad540d7b8bf9
  7. wi-fi status "No internet, secured"

wi-fi status "No internet, secured": I've been struggling with Wi-Fi on my Surface Book 2 for the last six months. It connects fine after a reset/reboot, but then goes to status No internet, secured after 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Since none of the recommended solutions solve the problem permanently, I'm...
  8. Wi-fi Security

Wi-fi Security: I am using a laptop to connect to my mobile hotspot. Both the devices use a VPN, and always have. It is currently showing a tiny monitor that says, "unidentified network", however, I do have a working wi-fi connection. Whereas, before the icon was showing the radiating curved...
  9. My Wi-Fi adapter displays as "Wi-Fi 2"

My Wi-Fi adapter displays as "Wi-Fi 2": Couple days ago i am replacing my old dongle adapter for my PC from TP LINK TLWN422n to TLWN722n. As usual we have to install the driver by plug in the adapter and run driver setup. Does this because i dont uninstall 422n driver from my computer ? 422n actually only support...
  10. Wi-Fi Alliance introduces Wi-Fi CERTIFIED WPA3 security

in Windows 10 News
    Wi-Fi Alliance introduces Wi-Fi CERTIFIED WPA3 security: Next-generation Wi-Fi® security for personal and enterprise networks Austin, TX – June 25, 2018 – Wi-Fi Alliance® introduces Wi-Fi CERTIFIED WPA3™, the next generation of Wi-Fi® security, bringing new capabilities to enhance Wi-Fi protections in personal and enterprise...