Windows 10: .NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade

Discus and support .NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since I've upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, I can't turn off my PC without getting an exception in .NET Framework, and then a message that it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kirinyale, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Kirinyale Win User

.NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade

Since I've upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, I can't turn off my PC without getting an exception in .NET Framework, and then a message that it is preventing shutdown. Google shows that this problem isn't exactly new and already happened to some people with Win8, but for some reason I've not been able to find a working solution yet. *Sad Does anyone know of a way to fix this other than doing a clean reinstall (which I really don't want)?

I've already tried some ".NET repair tool" from Microsoft, downloaded various offline installers of .NET and tried forcing them to re-install via command line. No luck - they just keep telling me that .NET is already installed, already a part of the OS, or sometimes even "installed but not activated", which is just plain wrong according to the feature selection dialog...

:)

Kirinyale, Aug 3, 2015

2. PC is not being shutdown or restart in windows 10

when i shutdown or restart my PC .net framework prevents the both options.

i have to turn it off manually.

"sleep" and "microsoft .net framework" these are the two options my PC shows and it says these apps are preventing shutdown or restart.

help me out here please because 4 to 5 days ago i was using windows 8 and i was all set but after upgrading it to windows 10, i am all screwed.

Ali GoharRao, Aug 3, 2015
  3. upgrade from windows 8.1 home to windows 10 professional

WYSIWYG.

Win8.1 Home upgrades to Win10 Home, Win8.1 Pro upgrades to Win10 Pro, etc.

<EDIT> Once you've upgraded from Win8.1 Home to Win10 Home, you can then purchase an upgrade to Win10 Pro.
    </EDIT>

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 3, 2015
  4. jayson Win User

I got the same problem too :\

jayson, Aug 7, 2015
  5. jayson Win User
    Anyone here got the same problem? If yes, any idea how to solve it?
    Thanks, much appreciated

jayson, Aug 8, 2015
  6. XweAponX Win User
    Did you install dot net 3.5? You have to add it via 'Apps and Features"->Manager Optional Features->Add a Feature, it should be right on top. I haven't had any dot net errors.

.NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade [​IMG]

XweAponX, Aug 8, 2015
  7. If it is related to NET app holding up shutdown, you might try this. Run as admin and restart.

TairikuOkami, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Kirinyale Win User

I did not install it specifically, but my features dialog looks exactly as your screenshot, so it's there.

Took 2 restarts for some reason, but it worked! Thanks! Of course, I would prefer to somehow fix .NET directly (as the problem seems to be with it), but making Windows shutdown quickly no matter what is good too. *Smile

For others: don't forget to run it with admin rights, otherwise it won't be able to modify these reg keys.

Kirinyale, Aug 8, 2015
  9. jayson Win User
    Thank you so much, it works! *Smile

jayson, Aug 9, 2015
  10. iqram Win User
    how to run as admin.....sorry I'm a newbie

iqram, Sep 24, 2015
  11. derekimo Win User
    Right click on it, select run as admin,

.NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade [​IMG]

derekimo, Sep 24, 2015
  12. I have tried running this multiple times as admin (with reboots in between) but it hasn't fixed the issue for me unfortunately. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

crimsonnight, Dec 27, 2015
  13. .NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade

I am having the same problem with shutdown and restart. I have tried running multiple times as admin and still get 'Microsoft .net framework This app is preventing you from restarting' message and have to press Restart anyway button.

Any body have any suggestions?

jaburmester, Jan 11, 2016
  14. Superfly Win User
    I don't think the problem is with .Net but the app. that uses it closes without disposing the framework components it used (commonly known as a memory leak)

To see which apps use .Net i...

Command prompt:
    Code: tasklist /m "mscor*"[/quote] Then by trial and error end it's process tree before restarting and see which one is the culprit.

Superfly, Jan 11, 2016
  15. jcmnmgd Win User
    This works! What exactly does this file run?

jcmnmgd, Jan 21, 2016
Thema:

1. .NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade - Similar Threads - NET framework prevents

2. Upgrade NET Framework v4.0 to v4.8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade NET Framework v4.0 to v4.8: MS Windows 10 is V22H2 x64. NET Framework is v4.0.30319. Version 4 is no longer supported. Can the NET Framework be upgraded to v4.8? I found this website on the internet which offers a NET Framework download. The Website does not look like Microsoft. Please share thoughts on...
  3. Upgrade NET Framework v4.0 to v4.8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade NET Framework v4.0 to v4.8: MS Windows 10 is V22H2 x64. NET Framework is v4.0.30319. Version 4 is no longer supported. Can the NET Framework be upgraded to v4.8? I found this website on the internet which offers a NET Framework download. The Website does not look like Microsoft. Please share thoughts on...
  4. Upgrade NET Framework v4.0 to v4.8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  6. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  7. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  8. Microsoft .NET framework Preventing shutdown WIndows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft .NET framework Preventing shutdown WIndows 10: When shutting down my Dell Inspiron 5555 laptop, I have been getting the screen that states this application is preventing the shutdown Microsoft .NET framework. It does shutdown when I select shutdown anyway. If I cancel the shutdown, I get the following message: I have...
  9. Devices no longer appear on "This PC" after upgrading Win8 to Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices no longer appear on "This PC" after upgrading Win8 to Win10: My external hard disks , and one MP3 player (all USB devices) are no longer recognized, nor appear on "This PC", after I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 OS. Other devices, such as my Android phone USB connection still works well. I made sure that the "Automatic download...
  10. Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions

Downgrading to Win8 then upgrading to Win10 again questions: Hi, I'm currently having a weird activation problem with Windows 10, and I was considering reverting to Windows 8 and start the process again to see if that would fix things. I tried to use the 'revert to previous build' but it said it couldn't locate the required files or...