Windows 10: Net user returns "... completed with one or more errors."

Discus and support Net user returns "... completed with one or more errors." in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I read about the net user command, and wanted to try it. When I entered it in an elevated command prompt, it returned the following. I take it the part... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by oxonsi, Mar 27, 2017.

1. oxonsi Win User

Net user returns "... completed with one or more errors."

I read about the net user command, and wanted to try it. When I entered it in an elevated command prompt, it returned the following. I take it the part about "The command completed with one or more errors." is not normal.

How can I go about fixing this?

Thanks

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net user

User accounts for \\

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Administrator DefaultAccount Guest
    mike_
    The command completed with one or more errors.

:)

oxonsi, Mar 27, 2017

2. I am locked out of my Win10 computer by a User Profile Service FAILURE!

Furthermore: Typying NET USER at the command prompt line returns the following:

"User accounts for\\

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator DefaultAccount. Guest

The command completed with one or more errors.

nd completed with one or more errors

VinceWA2RSX, Mar 27, 2017
  3. sktlaw Win User
    windows 10 error 80073712

Thank you for the suggestion, however the problem persists. The first set of commands returned the message "No component corruption detected" and that it had completed successfully. The second set of commands completed successfully. On reboot the same
    problem came up. It said that I needed the .NET 3.5 and when I download and install it does not complete and says the "component store has been corrupted" even thought the first set of commands returned no corruption. It still shows error code 0x80073712.
    Any other suggestions?

sktlaw, Mar 27, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

That indicates that one of the user profiles is somewhat damaged. A typical output of simple net user command just lists the present user profiles:

Net user returns "... completed with one or more errors." [​IMG]

Personally I've never got an error when only listing users. What about your personal user profile, does that underscore at the end of your username belong to your username?

5. oxonsi Win User
    Thanks for you reply.

That makes sense, I assumed that it must indicate a corrupt user profile...

Yes, when I originally installed Windows 10, I used my email address, which does have an underscore after my first name. In the meantime, I switched to a local account, but I kept the username mike_.

I have also enabled the default Administrator account. It shows up as available at logon.

And I haven't noticed any other issues. Everything seems to work, but apparently there is some corruption of one or more user profiles.

What next steps can I take to try to correct it?

oxonsi, Mar 27, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    If everything works, there is no need to "fix" anything.

You could try one thing: disable the built-in admin account and run net user in an elevated Command Prompt again, to see if the error remains.

7. oxonsi Win User
    I will try disabling the Admin account.

I agree: why try to "fix" something that isn't broken? At the same time, why does it return "completed with one or more errors"? That is the kind of thing that will bother me, feeling like there is a "skeleton in the closet" somewhere that I just haven't fully discovered yet...

Thanks for the info.

oxonsi, Mar 27, 2017
  8. oxonsi Win User

Unfortunately, disabling the Admin account did not resolve the issue. Strange.

Let me know if you have any further thoughts. Thanks again.

oxonsi, Mar 28, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Did delete your computer name from that line for privacy? If not, the error could be there. Your computer's name should appear after the \\

10. oxonsi Win User
    No, as a matter of fact I did not delete my computer name. That probably is at least one of my problems.

Any idea how I can correct that? Thanks!

oxonsi, Mar 28, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    The error message said 'one or more problems'. You may have only the one.

Try renaming it.
    Settings > System > About

12. oxonsi Win User
    Right, I was getting lazy. Probably should have stated, "that is my problem, or at least one of my problem(s)"... Logic *Smile

When I attempt to rename, I receive the message, "The PC name is invalid." no matter what name I choose. And if I enter the current name, it tells me I need to choose a different name.

It certainly appears there is a problem with my PC's name. Any idea how I might remedy that?

oxonsi, Mar 28, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

You could try the other ways to change the PC's name.
    Computer Name - Change in Windows 10

And you can change it in the Registry. Worth looking there to see if the current values are corrupted.
    Computer Name - Change in Windows 10 - Post #14

14. Kari Win User
    This should work:

1.) Create a new local user account, name it as you wish. I use username Dummy1 here. Make this account an administrator account.

2.) Sign out from your normal user account, sign in to the new Dummy1 account.

3.) Open an elevated Command Prompt, disable all existing user accounts except the new one you are currently signed in with following command:
    Code: net user USERNAME /active:no[/quote]
    4.) Press WIN + R to open Run prompt, type following command and hit Enter:
    Code: %windir%\system32\Sysprep\Sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot[/quote]
    5.) This runs Sysprep forcing Windows to go through the initial OOBE (Windows Welcome Mode, setup) again, generating a new PC name. You will go through the normal OOBE and need to create an initial user account. You cannot use any username already existing in system, I use Dummy2 at this point.

6.) When on desktop of Dummy2, open elevated Command Prompt and re-activate your temporarily disabled old user account with following command:

Code: net user USERNAME /active:yes[/quote]
    7.) Sign out from Dummy2, sign in to your old, normal admin account

8.) Remove Dummy1 and Dummy2 accounts
    That's it. I'll bet your NET USER command will return no more errors.

BTW, although I am extremely familiar with Sysprep and how it can be used (no bragging, just stating a fact) I would never run it on an existing installation without creating a system image backup first. The above instructions will work but in case you come back telling you can't boot anymore after following the instructions, I will tell you to restore the systsme image you made before proceeding.

If at that point you tell me you don't have a system image, you can only blame yourself. My only response to that would be "Tough!".

The above flow of actions takes 3 to 5 minutes, not counting the time to backup your system first.

15. Bree New Member
    @Kari, isn't the net user message "The command completed with one or more errors." referring to not being able to display the computer's name? It may not be referring to a problem with the user accounts at all. We've now established that oxonsi cannot rename the PC.

Thema:

1. Net user returns "... completed with one or more errors." - Similar Threads - Net user returns

2. No More .NET 5 support. What Should a Simple User Do?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No More .NET 5 support. What Should a Simple User Do?: Now that Microsoft no longer supports .NET 5, what should a simple, private user do to remove or replace it? Any of the topics I have found on this are very complex and call for more systems knowledge than I have or want to have.EOL-MicrosoftEnd of Life Microsoft .NET 5.0 is...
  3. No More .NET 5 support. What Should a Simple User Do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No More .NET 5 support. What Should a Simple User Do?: Now that Microsoft no longer supports .NET 5, what should a simple, private user do to remove or replace it? Any of the topics I have found on this are very complex and call for more systems knowledge than I have or want to have.EOL-MicrosoftEnd of Life Microsoft .NET 5.0 is...
  4. No More .NET 5 support. What Should a Simple User Do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Net User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Net User: I just used net user to list all the users on my computer. The only user that shows up is WDAGUtilityAccount. I only have one account on the computer. How do I see what my actual account with net user?...
  6. Net User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Net User: I just used net user to list all the users on my computer. The only user that shows up is WDAGUtilityAccount. I only have one account on the computer. How do I see what my actual account with net user?...
  7. Can't Install iCloud for Windows Due To Error "One or more users on this computer have...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't Install iCloud for Windows Due To Error "One or more users on this computer have...: I had installed iCloud app on a user I had on my Windows 10 Pro computer. I deleted the user and all its files. I have join computer to Azure AD and from new user I logged in to the computer and another new local admin user have created and Every other user has been deleted....
  8. Net user question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Net user question: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Home version and there is no indication of the WDAGUtilityAccount anywhere on my computer that I can find EXCEPT when I run the Net User command. I get two listings: Admin Account and Guest WDAGUtilityAccount Why is this showing up if I...
  9. More than one user name for Outlook.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    More than one user name for Outlook.: How do I access either address? Only one will come up in Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-than-one-user-name-for-outlook/9dc5907c-7a89-49bd-99e8-578ee1816b77"
  10. Microsoft .net framework the remote server returned an error (404) not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft .net framework the remote server returned an error (404) not found: Hello guys. Please help me. I cant fix it. If you can... please teamview help me :( [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/microsoft-net-framework-the-remote-server-returned/12599756-006c-4a9e-9ef0-d70b59e18daa

Users found this page by searching for:

1. net user the command completed with one or more errors

2. the command completed with one or more errors

3. net user completed with errors

4. www.windowsphoneinfo.com,
  5. windows 10 net user the command completed with one or more errors,
  6. net user completed with one or more errors,
  7. Command completed with one or more errors,
  8. windows 10 command prompt net user error,
  9. net user the command concluded with 1 or more errors ,
  10. net user command completed with one or more errors,
  11. command was completed with one or more errors net user,