Windows 10: Netgear DG834G as a WAP

Discus and support Netgear DG834G as a WAP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; setting the country and security level etc seems a bit flaky in this router, keeps losing settings, even after apply...sometimes the password option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by reddwarf4ever, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Netgear DG834G as a WAP

setting the country and security level etc seems a bit flaky in this router, keeps losing settings, even after apply...sometimes the password option window doesnt appear.....I eventually got the settings to stick, logged out ( maybe this is the magic bit ) then logged in again and the settings remained....not sure what the tick box Set as WAP actually does !!

anyway, the security must be the same for WAP and router, my Virging superhubac hadSecurity Mode

WPA Auto
    Netgear DG834G as a WAP [​IMG]
    WPA2-PSK[AES] WPA-PSK[TKIP] WPA/WPA2 Enterprise Disable whereas
    the DG834G V3 has

Netgear DG834G as a WAP [​IMG]

not sure what i can chose as the same as the WPA PSK (TKIP) appears not to be selectable on the virgin hub...
    any ideas please ?

:)

reddwarf4ever, Dec 29, 2015

2. N80 (58.01) Update successfull Netgear DG834G as a WAP :)

I have a netgear dg834g the wlan programme doesnt detect the router. This is madness.

deandavinchi, Dec 29, 2015
  3. shah---01 Win User
    N80 wifi set up help needed

Doh.... I changed the channel number for the wireless network on the Netgear DG834G router from 11 to 1.

shah---01, Dec 29, 2015
  4. Netgear DG834G as a WAP

strangely enough my virgin hub seems to rvert to WPA auto each time the hub is turnd off and on again.....set hub to WPA PS and it worked fine, even managed to connect another WAP from the first WAP ( daisy chained ) and workd fine...
    the only strange thing is that if i then remove the WAP devices and plug directly into my laptop ( as I did when setting them up ) I am unable to communicate with them....using their new IP adresses I assigned.....I can log out and in ok, until they are connected to the system, once removed I cant connect with either of them.....cant think why.....not an issue, just reset to default and then make changes SSID etc.....

Making changes to the wireless settings on this router is difficult, often the WPA password box is missing, then it forgets the settings, seem to need to log out and in several times, before it remembers them...odd behaviour

5. Got it all working, finally....

but the wireless speed from each of the two WAP is only 20m whereas from my superhub wirelessly i get 40m
    as the WAP's are connected by cable, thought there would be little loss of wireless speed.....unless these are particularly old routers (WAP's) which cant handle these wifi speeds......not sure..

any thoughts ???
    thanks

6. Seem to be keep answering my own questions LOL, would still love some input...hint hint....
    I found I can communicate with the WAP's while conncted and running with the router, by using their IP addresses.....so thats solved...I cahbed the frequency of each to 1,6 and 11 and witeless speeds now almost identical from each device, so must have been on same frequency, on auto......

reddwarf4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Netgear DG834G as a WAP

1. Netgear DG834G as a WAP - Similar Threads - Netgear DG834G WAP

2. netgear mr6500

in Windows 10 Gaming
    netgear mr6500: my mr6500 is sim operated. i dont have a home network or any type of wired internt.there are 3 options on my router one being wifi offload. since all i have is a data plan for the router howcome i can use wifi offloading without entering any type of password? whose wifi am i...
  3. netgear mr6500

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    netgear mr6500: my mr6500 is sim operated. i dont have a home network or any type of wired internt.there are 3 options on my router one being wifi offload. since all i have is a data plan for the router howcome i can use wifi offloading without entering any type of password? whose wifi am i...
  4. Netgear DG834G v 4 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Netgear DG834G v 4 and Windows 10: I'm updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home I use an old Netgear DG834G v 4 router I realise this is ancient, will it still work under Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/netgear-dg834g-v-4-and-windows-10/81f0cb77-3de0-4711-b057-28a7490ccbf0
  5. WAP IP Address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WAP IP Address: How does one find the WAP's IP Address (without Fing, Wire Shark, etc.) Example: When I am on my home network, if I type in "ipconfig /all" in to CMD, and type the IP address of the default gateway in to my web browser, I can login to my ISP's router/ WAP. However, in the...
  6. Netgear Firmware Warning

Netgear Firmware Warning: I recently updated by Netgear firmware with the newest release. In my case V1.0.2.130 for an R8500 Nighthawk. Immediately I started having Internet issues using my iOS devices on the Guest networks (2.4 or 5.0). I've been doing a lot of testing and also found my Android...
  7. Advice on WAP

Advice on WAP: Hoe this is the correct forum have created WAPs from old routers in the past and worked well. Need to set one up for a family member, but require the WAP to have a strong a signal ( as the router ) as possible. does it make a lot of difference if I use an old BT or other...
  8. Netgear Readyshare

Netgear Readyshare: I was having a problem keeping a wireless connection to the \\readyshare on a desktop that originally had a direct connection. I deleted the HDD from the router so I could start from scratch and now I can't connect to \\readyshare with any of my computers including my laptop...
  9. WAP viewing settings

WAP viewing settings: I created WAP from an old belkin router and it works fine. i want to change the SSID of this ‘ WAP’ can’t remember how to do this...I changed the I.P address to 192.168.1.100 as per the conversion procedure.....this was setup for a friend, is it possible that I can’t access...
  10. 8 port switch vs WAP

8 port switch vs WAP: I have a network cable from my router to a socket in another room. Am I better off using an 8 port switch ( e.g. netgear ) or just convert a wireless router to a WAP ( which I know how to do ) I will end up with 3 outlets using the WAP method, but thats enough....so...