Windows 10: network adapter fails to connect after virtual switch setup.

Discus and support network adapter fails to connect after virtual switch setup. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello, I have setup Hyper-v on my system but once I setup the virtual switch, my network adapter no longer connects to the Wlan. when I look at network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Nautedawg, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Nautedawg Win User

network adapter fails to connect after virtual switch setup.

Hello, I have setup Hyper-v on my system but once I setup the virtual switch, my network adapter no longer connects to the Wlan. when I look at network and sharing, it shows the virtual switch but not the real adapter. I followed the steps in the article: Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10
    How to Setup and Use Hyper-V in Windows 10 for OS Virtualization
    Published by Kari
    03 Oct 2014.

the network fails everytime .

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Naute

:)

Nautedawg, Aug 23, 2015

2. Hyper-V VM External Virtual Switch for Wifi adapter Not Working after Upgrade to Windows 10

After I upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise, My existing VM external virtual switch stopped working. I then removed the existing switch and tried to create a new external virtual switch with wifi adapter. Everytime I try, I get an error:

- I tried to remove existing network adapter from device manager (show hidden network), still it did not work

- I tried reinstalling Hyper-V VM, it did not help either

VikasBhardwaj, Aug 23, 2015
  3. windows 10 failed to remove network bridge completely

I am using Hyper-V on Windows 10.

Two days ago, I added a virtual switch at first using wireless network adapter with connection type of internal network, and then added a bridge between the virtual switch and actual wireless net adapter. It's certain that my virtual machine can't connect to
    the outside because of the internal network type of the switch. After I was aware of the fault I wanted to change the connection type of the virtual switch to external network but failed. And then I had a urgent matter and closed the computer. After I reopened
    the computer, I entered the UI {control panel}\{network and internet}\{network connection} and selected the network bridge and intended to remove it via its context menu. After accepted the remove instruction the computer lost response for a long time (over
    15 minutes) and I had to shutdown the computer hardly.

After restarted the system I removed the virtual switch from Hyper-V manager and just wanted to add a new one with connection type of external network. But I received a message as follows:

Fail to bind Ethernet port {here is a GUID}: requested resource is in use.

Can't bind the virtual switch to WLAN adapter because the network bridge is in use. You are allowed to config at most one virtual switch to connect to WLAN adapter.

(The above messages are originally shown in Chinese. I am regretful that the above messages might lack of accuracy because of my poor translation skill)

And now I can't add virtual switch and my virtual machine consequently can't access outside network via WiFi.

I guess that the unsuccessful removing operation(the one caused system halted) of the network bridge had removed the bridge from the UI but in the background just somewhere, the network bridge exists still and occupies the port resource.

I had tried to disable Hyper-V and re-enable Hyper-V from {Enable Windows features on or off}, and it cut no ice with the problem.

SirZWProfileAtMSDN, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

When you create a Hyper-V virtual switch, that switch is from thereafter used also by your host to connect to the network.

Let me try to explain this. Here's how the virtual switch manager looks when both wireless and wired external switches have been created:

network adapter fails to connect after virtual switch setup. [​IMG]

When Hyper-V external virtual switches are correctly set up, the host will show this:

In the above screenshot you can see that my host computer is connected to the Internet with both a wireless virtual switch (WLAN) and wired switch (LAN). You can tell they are virtual switches from the vEthernet prefix. The host is no longer connecting using its physical adapters but uses insted the virtual switches.

Looking the adapters you can see this:

If I now disable the wireless adapter, the bridge disappears and the wireless virtual switch shows Network cable unplugged:

To put this short: when you have set up an external virtual switch using a wireless adapter, from thereafter your wireless network adapter should never show Connected, nor should it never show a network name. It either shows Enabled, Bridged or Disabled, Bridged. That's how it should be.

More about Hyper-V virtual switches at our sister site the Eight Forums: Hyper-V Virtual Switch Manager

You could also check the video in this post, the part about virtual switches starts at 3:20 mark: Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 52 - Windows 10 Forums

5. Nautedawg Win User
    Hello Kari,

I noticed that my vpn is accessing the same ethernet device. Once the vswitch is created, I lose the VPN and the network connection, leading me to think that I may need to create a vswitch using something other than the current adapter. Will look at the video and see if it helps, appreciate your input and any other info you can send my way.

Thanks,

Naute

Nautedawg, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    If you use both Hyper-V and VPN, you should always first create the Hyper-V switches and only thereafter set up the VPN connection. Setting up a new Windows PC, this is the order to do stuff:
    • Install Windows
    • Set up Hyper-V
    • Set up the external Hyper-V virtual switch(es)
    • Set up VPN connection
    This way the VPN will start using the correct network adapter (an external virtual switch instead of a physical adapter).

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. network adapter fails to connect after virtual switch setup. - Similar Threads - network adapter fails

2. Virtual network adapter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual network adapter not working: Virtual network adapter not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-network-adapter-not-working/f6d684be-6676-4dd0-8050-a078cd0e7a12
  3. Virtual network adapter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual network adapter not working: Virtual network adapter not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-network-adapter-not-working/f6d684be-6676-4dd0-8050-a078cd0e7a12
  4. Virtual Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Network Adapter: My Windows 11 laptop will no longer connect to Wi-Fi. It says "You're connected using a virtual network adapter that we can't test." I have restarted my laptop and rebooted the modem, neither worked. Any help on what to do next?...
  5. Virtual Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Network Adapter: My Windows 11 laptop will no longer connect to Wi-Fi. It says "You're connected using a virtual network adapter that we can't test." I have restarted my laptop and rebooted the modem, neither worked. Any help on what to do next?...
  6. Network Adapter Fails to Connect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Adapter Fails to Connect: My mother's laptop Dell Inspiron, won't connect to the internet. This has happened before, and all I've had to do was uninstall the adapter driver and restart the computer, but I've uninstalled the drivers and when the computer restarts, I still cannot connect. I've also...
  7. Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switch virtual desktops in multiple display setup: I have setup 2 displays on my PC. Right now if I want to switch between virtual desktops by pressing ctrl+win_Key+left/right arrow it changes the desktop on both screens. I want only the active or primary display should switch display when the action triggers. I am open to...
  8. Network adapter switches of lan connection after exactly 2 hours

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network adapter switches of lan connection after exactly 2 hours: Al the energy saving settings are turned off even the option of the adapter to switch of for saving energy is switched off. After restarting Windows the connection stays on for 2 hours and than gets lost again. reinstalling the adapter does not solve the problem. Windows...
  9. Virtual network adapter not getting installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual network adapter not getting installed: The issue started when I tried to add a new virtual network in VMware Workstation 14 using Virtual Network Editor but the changes revert back without getting applied. I tried with different versions multiple times but the issue remained. Then I noticed the virtual network...
  10. network adapter not connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    network adapter not connected: how do you connect hardware/drivers to computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-adapter-not-connected/f8ef59ab-3645-414a-9823-27ce6e11a2cf