Windows 10: Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

Discus and support Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; What network adapter settings mean vms can communicate with each other but not with host? Thanks Vmware Workstation 10 69475 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by davidb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. davidb Win User

Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host

What network adapter settings mean vms can communicate with each other but not with host? Thanks
    Vmware Workstation 10

:)

davidb, Nov 10, 2016
  2. Todd_S_88 Win User

CALL-LEVEL INTERFACE- USING IP ADDRESS

You are correct that the Guest VM is connecting through the Ethernet 2 adapter. When VMWare/VMWorkstation is installed on a computer it will create virtual network adapters off the physical NIC on the computer. This is what allows you to do certain things
    like create multiple virtual subnets for your VMs. This is particularly useful in lab setups but for other reasons as well. The IP address shows up as 192.168.74.1 in the command because that is the IP of the virtual adapter on the
    host computer.

As for changing the IP address of the guest VM that is a matter of preference, but I would not recommend setting it to 192.168.74.254 as that appears to be the address of the DHCP server the host machine got it's IP address from, and that could create a
    conflict. Otherwise in a setup like that changing the IP address to something else wouldn't offer any real advantage.

Todd_S_88, Nov 10, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Unidentified Network Issue

I am running Windows 7 on my PC but I installed Windows 10 Enterprise as a virtual machine using VMWare Player. My Network Adapter setting on VMWare are set to "NAT:Used to share the host's IIP address". This
    works just fine when I run Ubuntu VM but does not work when I run Windows 10 VM.

I tried to select other Network Adapter settings e.g. Bridged etc. but no luck. I am not using a static IP but the one assigned automatically seems to be of a private network I.e. 192.168.#.#

I am not really good with networks. I followed a tutorial online to change the startup types of the network settings but that also did not help.

Conclusion: When I run Ubuntu VM on VMWare player with network adapter settings set to NAT, it works. So I think the problem is with Windows 10 network settings, maybe?

Tumelo M. Motloutsi, Nov 10, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Some sort of Switch / subnet probably required here with firewall settings also perhaps to block communications from the subnet.

I think this is more of a Networking issue than a VM one itself. The other question - do you still want the HOST to have access to the Internet.

I've only done this where I've had a SINGLE VM which needed Internet access for a "Dodgy site" --was testing a Virus and so I attached the NIC physically to the VM and disabled networking on the HOST while I was testing.

However if you need Internet and LAN access on the HOST and you have more than one VM running concurrently I should ask the Network gurus as this is outside my area of expertise. I suspect also you might need two Physical NIC's for this - one for the Host and one for the subnet your VM's are on - but I can't give any more help than that.

Try asking @Kari -- I'm sure he's done things like that but he uses HYPER-V which is also a good system if you have W10 pro or Enterprise.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 10, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    As I am a huge Hyper-V fan using it exclusively, I have no idea how this is done in VMware. Can't assist OP in any way.

In Hyper-V it is easy, simply select a private virtual switch in vm settings. Virtual machines using a private switch can only communicate with each other, not with host. Obvious disadvantage is that a vm using private switch has no Internet access, it totally isolates all network traffic only allowing private communication between virtual machines using private switch.

6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi @Kari

Thanks for the info

I'm using HYPER-V more these days too -- however I think a similar process can be done with VMware player.

For running VM's as SERVERS HYPER-V is just fine -- It's a pity there isn't a really stripped down version of W10 to run the HYPER-V system.

--I've looked at Server 2016 but for a HOME user --you really need to win the Lottery TWICE RUNNING to pay for it (Trial is OK but you don't want to keep re-creating a decently used VM every month !!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 10, 2016
  7. davidb Win User
    the physical host needs to be on internet yes. vms don't. thanks

davidb, Nov 10, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there @davidb

I think the two NIC's would be the easiest solution -- physical one for HOST and either another one or a Virtual NIC which allows LAN access but not outside access

I should google a bit more for this as I'm not experienced with this --I might have a play later as I've an old HP GEN 8 microserver which I'm using as a NAS that has two physical NIC's in it. I can easily create two Windows VM's on it and test connecting to a VM on a different Laptop. I can run VMware workstation for Linux on this - easy enough to do so it's the same as running it on Windows.

Whether I need a physical switch or not as well I don't know -- however I'll have a go this weekend after FIFA World cup Football qualifier -- should be a great match Croatia vs Iceland (nr 1 and 2 in the group) .

Will see what happens

Setup HOST 1 Linux CENTOS 7 with VM 1 W10 X64 pro and VM 2 Win XP
    Host 2 Windows 10 x-64 Pro, VM3 W7 x-64 ultimate.

Test1 -- see if VM1 /VM2 can communicate with each other but not the hosts

Test 2 see if VM3 can communicate with VM1/VM2 and not the hosts.

I think the problem will be in isolating VM3 from the hosts as the laptop only has a single NIC (built in Wireless card).

This seems to be a good starting point

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...rnalId=1020480

Note though I'm not sure if you can do this on VMWARE PLAYER (Free version). I've got VMWARE WORKSTATION.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network adapter settings to isolate vm from host - Similar Threads - Network adapter settings

2. print isolation host

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print isolation host: Yes i seem to be having problems with the printer spool not working properly and i kept the taskmon on top to see what is going on . There is a progam called change printer settings that was running . Is this because i changed the page count to custom or is this program why...
  3. "Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing in device manager, Hosted network...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing in device manager, Hosted network...: 1. Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is missing in device manager, 2. Hosted network support: No in the Command Prompt, and 3. Hotspot not working. May I ask Who is still experiencing these kinds of problems? It seems this occurred right after your Windows got...
  4. W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !!

W10 VM set network to public by mistake -- now HOST has no Internet !!: Hi there Not sure if this is a fault with Windows or VMWare I accidently on network discovery hit the Public network instead of private on a W10 VM on VMWare workstation -- Still have Internet on the VM but HOST has lost Internet and LAN connectivity -- Limited connectivity...
  5. Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Networking on Windows VM from KVM/ QEMU Host via Bridge: Hi folks For those running Windows VM's on Linux Hosts and want to try the Linux Hypervisor (VMWare and VBOX will run concurrently so you don't even need to power off any running Windows VM's) with decent networking you need to set up a network Bridge (roughly analogous to...
  6. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  7. Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host

Setup internet connection of Hyper-v VM to isolate VM and host: I'd like to set up a VM (with Hyper-v) with a Linux distro. I want to isolate VM and host as more as possible. I don't enable advanced mode. But VM should be connected to Internet. I didn't think it was a matter but I was alarmed by this article...
  8. 'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter' does not exist in network adapter tree

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter' does not exist in network adapter tree: Hello, I have tried finding a solution to finding a driver download for this virtual network adapter but there is none except for the 2007 version. I checked the hidden devices, enabled internet sharing through my ethernet connection, and I cannot enable my personal wifi...
  9. Wifi adapter missing from network settings.

Wifi adapter missing from network settings.: cannot see wifi options anywhere in setting. and my wifif adapter is intel dual band wirless AC 8260. but i can connect to internet through ethernet. Please help 57188
  10. Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host: Is it possible for HyperV to use a different network connection (say wireless) for the VM, while the host machine uses the wired connection? If so, how does one set that up? Thanks! 103534