Windows 10: Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues

Discus and support Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey all, I'm posting this here because it pertains to both network and storage, and because I'm honestly not even sure how to search for this.... so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CombatByDesign, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues

Hey all,

I'm posting this here because it pertains to both network and storage, and because I'm honestly not even sure how to search for this.... so here goes:

I've got a Synology DS213j as my NAS which I've mapped to my machine to access one of the drives within the unit (Drive D: ) and my music folder (Drive M: ). I've also got a Thermaltake BlackX 2.0 (referred to from here as "toaster") with two drives which I've respectively lettered Y: and Z:.

The two removable drives are not mapped and are being used as removable photo storage.

The problem I'm having is:
    When I boot my computer with the toaster powered on Y: replaces D: in windows explorer (the explorer menu shows the drive is STILL disconnected and it recognizes that D: and M: are supposed to be network mapped), but M: stays as is:

Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues [​IMG]

When I cycle the power on the toaster D: connects as it should, but Y: is reassigned the drive letter E:

I've got the NAS set up to automatically reconnect at login, and haven't had any issues with that happening. I'm wondering if it's merely a network latency issue and Windows is forcing another drive into the slot that's supposed to be there permanently. If that's the case: how do I stop that from happening?

I know the simple answer is "only power the toaster when you use it", but I feel like there's a fix that will allow me to keep the toaster powered on.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

:)

CombatByDesign, Dec 6, 2017

2. Network and Connectivity Issues

I recently got a new PC but every time I connect to the internet on that PC alone it shuts off the wifi for the entire house. It's only when I connect on the new PC. Every time I reset the internet it just shuts off again on when I connect on the new PC.
    I restored the PC thinking that it may have been a virus but it continues to happen even after the reset. Again it makes it so I or anyone else for that matter cant connect to wifi in the house because it seems to disable it.

Poopsie Whoopsie, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Network and Connectivity Issues

Hello,

Visit the link below for some things you can try in Windows 10 if you’re having problems getting connected to a network and can’t connect to the Internet:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Melliza Son, Dec 6, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues

You do know that the Synology tools work a lot better for when you want to access and sync between computer and the NAS. You need to decide if you want to map a folder as a drive or link to a folder on the NAS. Two different things. There is no latency issue that you think is causing what you are seeing, nor is Windows doing any forcing another drive into a slot, for whatever that means.

Just make sure that you have the IP of the NAS, the NAS is set as Static on it, and that you have your username and password in Windows Credentials.

I have the DS216+II and have upgraded the RAM to 4GB, which makes a huge change, along with running Seagate Enterprise drives and a Fantom 3TB for backup on eSATA. My speeds on Wifi perform just as well as it does when connected via Ethernet.

bro67, Dec 6, 2017
  5. The Synology tools won't work for what I need to do. I want to maintain that folder (Music) mapped as a drive (M). It's on a separate physical disk within the NAS unit it's self than "KMB-CBD" and is the only folder on that drive I want ready access to in the way I have it. The only reason I mentioned that folder is because it's remained properly connected no matter what sequence I use to power up my machine. And when I say windows is "forcing another drive into that slot" I mean that Windows, for some reason, is changing drive Y to drive D but never changing the information from D (name, location, etc.)

I'm not having issues connecting to the NAS at all. I'm having issues with the drive letters rearranging within Windows.

CombatByDesign, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues

1. Network and removable storage mapping and connectivity issues - Similar Threads - Network removable storage

2. Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with mapping Onedrive as a Network Drive.: Hi all,I've been mapping a Onedrive location as a Network Drive on Win 11 for a while now, but recently the mapping has died. It coincides with changing the securities for the Microsoft account it is associated with. On the home PC, after I reverted the Microsoft account back...
  3. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  4. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  5. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Network Attached Storage Connections

Network Attached Storage Connections: I have recently installed a new computer at our church with Windows 10 Pro. We have a local network attached storage WD MyCloud DL2100 and it can be reached by any 'local' account on the other computers. However, when a computer is logged onto the Windows365 account,...
  7. removing a mapped network drive

removing a mapped network drive: How do you remove unused mapped network drives from being displayed under Network Locations in File Explorer? There is a function to disconnect them but not to remove them so have several drives listed that I no longer even have. Not sure if this belongs under storage or...
  8. Map Network Drive issue

Map Network Drive issue: I have three NAS units attached to my LAN. Their names differ only in the first letter. I Map network drives for example NET USE A: \\Aserver\x /Persistent:Yes NET USE B: \\Bserver\x /Persistent:Yes or by the Map Network Drive in the GUI This is all OK. However, when...
  9. Mapping Network Drive Issues

Mapping Network Drive Issues: We have a external hard drive attached to our router that is accessible to our small business on our network. We have 3 other computers (2 Windows and 1 Mac) that are accessing it now. But we got 2 new computers that were just added to the network and I can not find the drive...
  10. Remove obsolete mapped network drive

Remove obsolete mapped network drive: W10 Pro 1803 A new network modem has introduced a new IP range to my LAN so that my previous NFS mounts to W10 are obsolete. However when I try to delete them through Explorer, Explorer always tries to connect before permitting any action on the mount. After about ten...