Windows 10: Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10

Discus and support Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, I have a really strange problem, I am looking for thoughts. I have a system running Windows 10 Pro. It has run fine for years. A while back, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlanB3, Jul 5, 2018.

1. AlanB3 Win User

Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10

So, I have a really strange problem, I am looking for thoughts. I have a system running Windows 10 Pro. It has run fine for years. A while back, I started getting an error that my network cable was unplugged. I checked the cable and it was plugged in normally. I replaced the cable and it still generated the same error. I have two network adapters on the system. I moved the cable to the second adapter and the problem went away. The system worked fine for months.

Some time later, I started getting the same error on both adapters. I would get the "network cable unplugged" error no matter what adapter I had the cable plugged into. I once again tried additional cables to no avail. I tested a different router and it changed nothing, as well.

I purchased a new NIC and installed it into the machine. Adding a third NIC changed nothing. It still showed that the network cable was unplugged. I went into properties and tried different negotiation, i.e. I tried auto, TX 100, half duplex, full duplex, etc and it made no difference. I updated all the drivers and even got the factory Realtek driver for one of the NIC's rather than using the Microsoft driver. Nothing worked.

I was about to give up when the April Creator's update came up. I did the update and the problem corrected itself. The computer worked perfectly until yesterday. Now, I am suddenly getting the same error again with the April Creators' edition. I have tried new cables, etc, but I am up against the same wall as I was before.

So we are clear, the device manager says the device is working properly. I plug the cable in and it is detected. It starts the identification process and then almost immediately says "network cable unplugged." If I wait a few seconds, it again detects that it is plugged into the router, but a few seconds later, it will gain say "network cable unplugged."

Does anyone have any thoughts?

:)

AlanB3, Jul 5, 2018
  2. AlanB3 Win User

Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10

So, I have a really strange problem, I am looking for thoughts. I have a system running Windows 10 Pro. It has run fine for years. A while back, I started getting an error that my network cable was unplugged. I checked the cable and it was plugged in
    normally. I replaced the cable and it still generated the same error. I have two network adapters on the system. I moved the cable to the second adapter and the problem went away. The system worked fine for months.

Some time later, I started getting the same error on both adapters. I would get the "network cable unplugged" error no matter what adapter I had the cable plugged into. I once again tried additional cables to no avail. I tested a different router and
    it changed nothing, as well.

I purchased a new NIC and installed it into the machine. Adding a third NIC changed nothing. It still showed that the network cable was unplugged. I went into properties and tried different negotiation, i.e. I tried auto, TX 100, half duplex, full duplex,
    etc and it made no difference. I updated all the drivers and even got the factory Realtek driver for one of the NIC's rather than using the Microsoft driver. Nothing worked.

I was about to give up when the April Creator's update came up. I did the update and the problem corrected itself. The computer worked perfectly until yesterday. Now, I am suddenly getting the same error again with the April Creators' edition. I have
    tried new cables, etc, but I am up against the same wall as I was before.

So we are clear, the device manager says the device is working properly. I plug the cable in and it is detected. It starts the identification process and then almost immediately says "network cable unplugged." If I wait a few seconds, it again detects
    that it is plugged into the router, but a few seconds later, it will gain say "network cable unplugged."

Does anyone have any thoughts?

AlanB3, Oct 25, 2018
  3. stocktiki Win User
    "Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in..

Hoping some of the Windows ninjas can help.

Running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop/tower. Hard wired Ethernet from Dlink router to PC.

Had been working great for months. But all of a sudden (yesterday) - getting this message from "Net Connections." Ethernet, network cable unplugged (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller). It's strange because it had been working. The PC has WIFI so it's connecting that way.

Here's what I tried so far:

1. Plugged in Ethernet directly from cable modem. Same error.
    2. Connected another device to router. It works.

Seems like it's some kind of issue with PC itself - either hardware failure or driver corruption ? Would there be a problem with deleting the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller in the Control Panel>Network and Internet > Network Connections - restarting and see if that fixes the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10 [​IMG]

stocktiki, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10

What is the exact make and model?

Open Start, type: system information

Hit Enter

Click System summary

Look in the right pane

Copy the system sku info into reply here.

See example: https://imgur.com/qzektpA

It could suggest you need to update your chipset drivers and BIOS.

I recommend you update the most critical ones: BIOS, Chipset

Try resetting your BIOS defaults:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

If that does not work and you have a desktop computer...

Power down

Unplug it

Open the system unit

Remove the CMOS CR-2032 chip

Plug it in, start the machine, wait 10 seconds

Power down, unplug it, reinstall the CMOS CR-2032 chip

Plug it in again, power up

Andre for Directly, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Network Cable shows

2. Error: "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: "A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken": I have an Toshiba Laptop. I left it like this for a couple of hours and then attempted to switch it on again and, after a lot of attempts, Windows finally started as usual but there was one problem: I was getting the "no networks available" error and the Wifi option is...
  3. Another Windows 10 "Network Cable Unplugged", but it's not...

Another Windows 10 "Network Cable Unplugged", but it's not...: Hi Everyone. At the end of my troubleshooting skill with this issue. I just upgraded my network at home to a hybrid 1gb/10gbe system. Here's my setup and my issue (as well as my already failed troubleshooting). I have a smart managed switch with 4 10gbe ports on SFP+ fiber...
  4. a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    a network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken: the error in the title is what i received last night. one minute it was working and then i go to the bathroom for not even 5 minutes and i get back and my computer has no ethernet connection. I was extremely confused and didn't know what to do because it was just working, so...
  5. network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken: Ever since I started using wifi adapters for my internet I've been constantly having the same issue over and over. I could be 5 minutes in or 5 hours in or longer. Just randomly out of nowhere the wifi will cut off, show no option or wifi network available, but when I run the...
  6. Network Cable Unplugged After Installing Windows 10

Network Cable Unplugged After Installing Windows 10: Hi After having a system crash I had to install Windows 10. Previously I had been running Windows 7 on two computers that were networked. I have kept Windows 7 on my second computer. When I was running Windows 7 the network was running OK. Since I installed Windows 10 on my...
  7. network cable unplugged

network cable unplugged: W10 18363.535 just updated computer #3 today and noticed afterwards while trying to connect to network, I get the "network cable unplugged" message. Did the usual re-plugging, changed the cable, same results. Finally worked over to the network adapter and after a while...
  8. A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken

in Windows 10 News
    A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you run Internet Connections Troubleshooter, and you see an error message saying A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken, then this post will help you fix the issue on your Windows computer. Windows users [...] This post A network...
  9. Network cable unplugged

Network cable unplugged: Hopefully this is the right section to post this. I have just moved into a new home and i am having issues connecting to the internet through a wired connection. Wfi works but id rather use the wired connection since i have it . The house is wired for Cat 5e. I have an ASUS...
  10. "Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in..

"Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in..: Hoping some of the Windows ninjas can help. Running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop/tower. Hard wired Ethernet from Dlink router to PC. Had been working great for months. But all of a sudden (yesterday) - getting this message from "Net Connections."...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. an ethernet cable is not properly plugged in

2. windows 10 multi adapaters one shows unplugged

3. device is working properly says unplugged