Windows 10: "Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in..

Discus and support "Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in.. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hoping some of the Windows ninjas can help. Running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop/tower. Hard wired Ethernet from Dlink router to PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stocktiki, May 20, 2016.

1. stocktiki Win User

"Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in..

Hoping some of the Windows ninjas can help.

Running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell XPS 8500 desktop/tower. Hard wired Ethernet from Dlink router to PC.

Had been working great for months. But all of a sudden (yesterday) - getting this message from "Net Connections." Ethernet, network cable unplugged (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller). It's strange because it had been working. The PC has WIFI so it's connecting that way.

Here's what I tried so far:

1. Plugged in Ethernet directly from cable modem. Same error.
    2. Connected another device to router. It works.

Seems like it's some kind of issue with PC itself - either hardware failure or driver corruption ? Would there be a problem with deleting the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller in the Control Panel>Network and Internet > Network Connections - restarting and see if that fixes the issue.

Any other suggestions?

"Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in.. [​IMG]

:)

stocktiki, May 20, 2016

2. "a network cable is loose or unplugged", but it actually isn't. ( includes steps attempted so far )

So on this one particular work PC I use, it always says that a 'network cable is loose or unplugged'. Nothing in the setup has changed since it was first installed and for several months there was never a problem.

This cable connects to an extender that runs through the roof to the business's central server. Most of these steps are unnecessary as it's obviously a problem with the PC's software or firmware, but for the sake of total all inclusive completeness, I've
    included them anyway.

To attempt to fix it, I've done the following ( and the results in brackets ):

1: Removed and replugged the Ethernet cable. ( no difference )

2: Restarted the PC. ( Many times, no difference. )

3: Plugged the same ethernet cable into the computer next to it. ( connected immediately and gained internet access )

4: Plugged in the working ethernet cable from another computer. ( failed, same error )

5: Replaced the cabling, tried a different server port and different roof extender. ( error remains )

6: Checked device manager for any errors or device warnings. ( no errors, detects the network drivers perfectly )

7: Turned the computer's power off and unplugged the power cable overnight. ( no difference )

8: Redownloaded and reinstalled the motherboard drivers from the manufactuer's website. ( error persists )

9: Reviewed windows event and system logs ( no errors reported )

10: Checked with server admin, no IP address or system settings changes have taken place. ( same IP and settings as before the problem started )

11: Contacted ISP for testing. ( Tests reveal functional connection up to the computer. No response from computer. )

12: Plugged same Ethernet cable into a driverless USB > Ethernet converter. ( Works immediately, currently using this now. )

So now I'm at a loss of what else to try. Do I just reinstall Windows at this point?

N_Burchell, May 20, 2016
  3. "a network cable is loose or unplugged", but it actually isn't. ( includes steps attempted so far )

Hi, the problem may not be software or external wiring related.

If the workstation is using a separate Ethernet card (PCI or PCI-e slot on the Motherboard) try removing and reinstalling (reseating) the card. If it is integral to the device check the connector for bent/corroded pins or debris. If there is any internal
    cabling check that as well. If the connecter is attached directly to the motherboard there may be a cracked or compromised solder joint at the point of connection or elsewhere on the board. If the latter is the case an add-on Ethernet card can be installed
    if there is an open slot on the motherboard to accept it.

Hope that this helps and Good Luck!

-Richard

RichardEiler, May 20, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi you can certainly try uninstalling the driver & restarting. (Note, there is an option to also delete the driver, which means your PC has to download it again if you choose that as compared with installing from the driver already stored on you PC).

Presumably you've tried swapping the cable & router connection?

dalchina, May 20, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Possible bad cable bad port on the gateway or a bad NIC on the computer. Drivers have been an issue with 10 for a while.

bro67, May 21, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Try the drivers from Realtek:
    Realtek

Top entry in the table is for Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2016
  7. stocktiki Win User
    Thanks everyone. One last question....

* If I delete the Realtek Ethernet driver - is there a danger it would knock out the WIFI connection, too? That would be bad...

Thanks!

stocktiki, May 21, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

It should not affect WiFi.

NavyLCDR, May 21, 2016
  9. stocktiki Win User
    Thanks everyone! Great forum we have here!

Finishing up on an important piece of work tonight - but will try this tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks!

stocktiki, May 21, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    bro67, May 21, 2016
  11. stocktiki Win User
    Thank you everyone!! You fixed it!

Uninstalled the Ethernet connection/driver - restarted - and boom - it works again! Guess the driver got corrupted somehow. At least fixing it was easy (with the guidance of this forum! Thanks1

"Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in.. [​IMG]

stocktiki, May 22, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Make sure that you disable Windows from updating the driver.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Network cable unplugged" - but it is plugged in.. - Similar Threads - Network cable unplugged

2. Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem: Laptop = Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL OS = Windows 10Modem = Netmaster Infinity 401USB to Ethernet Adapter = ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter---I plugged my adapter into the SS USB port on my laptop, then connected the adapter with my modem via an ethernet...
  3. Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem: Laptop = Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL OS = Windows 10Modem = Netmaster Infinity 401USB to Ethernet Adapter = ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter---I plugged my adapter into the SS USB port on my laptop, then connected the adapter with my modem via an ethernet...
  4. Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Another Windows 10 "Network Cable Unplugged", but it's not...

Another Windows 10 "Network Cable Unplugged", but it's not...: Hi Everyone. At the end of my troubleshooting skill with this issue. I just upgraded my network at home to a hybrid 1gb/10gbe system. Here's my setup and my issue (as well as my already failed troubleshooting). I have a smart managed switch with 4 10gbe ports on SFP+ fiber...
  6. network cable unplugged

network cable unplugged: W10 18363.535 just updated computer #3 today and noticed afterwards while trying to connect to network, I get the "network cable unplugged" message. Did the usual re-plugging, changed the cable, same results. Finally worked over to the network adapter and after a while...
  7. Lenovo Ideapad network cable unplugged

Lenovo Ideapad network cable unplugged: My Lenovo ideapad 500 won't detect a network cable, have tried different cables that work on different PC's. It uses a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller Here's what ive tried so far: New driver from Realtek website. Deleted from device manager and restarted. Every...
  8. Network cable unplugged

Network cable unplugged: Hopefully this is the right section to post this. I have just moved into a new home and i am having issues connecting to the internet through a wired connection. Wfi works but id rather use the wired connection since i have it . The house is wired for Cat 5e. I have an ASUS...
  9. Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10

Network Cable shows as "Unplugged" when it is in fact, plugged in properly - Windows 10: So, I have a really strange problem, I am looking for thoughts. I have a system running Windows 10 Pro. It has run fine for years. A while back, I started getting an error that my network cable was unplugged. I checked the cable and it was plugged in normally. I replaced...
  10. "Network Cable Unplugged" on Ethernet Connection

"Network Cable Unplugged" on Ethernet Connection: Let's start at the beginning... In early November I broke my collarbone which resulted in my being out of work since. Being unable to really sit in my office at my desk (plugged directly into the modem as I typically am via ethernet), I moved my laptop downtairs and began...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network cable not properly plugged in several cables tried