Windows 10: network changed to media device

Discus and support network changed to media device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network. This was working right before. Now, the second computer shows up as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by joeaa, Dec 17, 2015.

1. joeaa Win User

network changed to media device

Hi,

I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network.
    This was working right before.
    Now, the second computer shows up as a media device on the first computer.
    Media Steaming is off.

The network page says computer1
    and Media Devices says computer2

I've try to find something out of place with no success.
    The second computer has computer1 & 2 under Computer and computer 2 under media device

*Sleepy Joe

:)

joeaa, Dec 17, 2015

2. How does Windows 10 recognize a device as a media device on the network?

Okay I'm changing my question to more generally, how does Windows 10 know a device is a media device when looking out onto the network?

Is there a way to specify how to treat a device?

I'm trying to Cast to my Samsung UN46D6000. It was there once, and worked fine, but now its not listed in the devices when I try to Cast To.

It shows up on the network as a device, but not a media device. Is there a way to get it recognized as a media device? Right now it just shows up under other devices.

theresnothingthere, Dec 17, 2015
  3. How to delete old network media device?

Hi,

You can remove it through Media streaming options. To learn how, kindly follow the steps that were provided by
    Yashwanth Kotakuri last October 3, 2015 in this thread:

Disable/Remove Media Devices from the Network (WMP?)
    . A lot of community member were helped by his reply.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Dec 17, 2015
  4. joeaa Win User

well, I learned something, when I a song on media player, the media devices show up in network.

Joe*Think

joeaa, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

1. network changed to media device - Similar Threads - network changed media

2. Undetected Network Streaming Media Device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Undetected Network Streaming Media Device: I just upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. Now my computer doesn't detect my streaming media device which was working fine under Windows 7. It's the HDHomeRun Duo TV Tuner. When I enter its URL in my browser, the browser displays its information so I know that...
  3. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.: Windows 10 Home 2004 version I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all documents on the subject numerous times, the best I can do on one computer is see very limited folders, no documents no pictures....
  4. Windows Media Streaming - removed device off network discovery

Windows Media Streaming - removed device off network discovery: Control Panel> Network and Internet> Network and Sharing Center> Media streaming options When you hover over a device you have the option to remove it from the list. I accidentally removed my other PC off this list and would like help undoing my problem. I cannot find...
  5. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  6. Network drives are showing as Media Devices

Network drives are showing as Media Devices: I just made a new install of Windows 10 and at first the other networked drives on my home server where showing correctly but now they appear in the Network screen as Media Devices. I'm not sure when it happened but I did reboot to change security settings, could this do...
  7. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  8. Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device

Windows 10 update changed network Computer to Media Device: A recent Windows reinstall on a laptop on July 3, 2018 changed the desktop computer to two Media Devices (for separate users). How do I delete the Media Devices and connect tot he desktop?...
  9. Change Icons of Network devices?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Icons of Network devices?: Hi, How can I change the icons of: 1. Canon (Networked) Wifi printer? 2. Syno DS1812 NAS [img] Right click does not let met change the icon. TIA! Cheers 34730
  10. Network Locations/Media Devices

Network Locations/Media Devices: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only...