Windows 10: Network Connections....something not understood

Discus and support Network Connections....something not understood in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My set up: Ethernet cable between computer base unit and Billion 8800NL modem-router Ethernet cable between router and TP-Link HomePlug #1 Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chipwood, May 9, 2017.

1. chipwood Win User

Network Connections....something not understood

My set up:
    Ethernet cable between computer base unit and Billion 8800NL modem-router
    Ethernet cable between router and TP-Link HomePlug #1
    Ethernet cable between HomePlug #2 and Freesat Box
    Wi-fi connections are maintained with a Canon Multifunction printer, Digital Radio and an IPad .

I seem to have a problem or something I cannot get my head around, why it should be so. Network Connections is showing WiFi as No Connected, but the Digital radio is playing, and I have sent items to the printer.

Is there something wrong with my set up e.g. cables in wrong router ports, or not needed, something else cock-eyed, or the Dell Wireless 1707 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)?
    I hope someone can advise,please!

:)

chipwood, May 9, 2017
  2. HandyR Win User

nokia e63- a different problem

As I understood correctly you can not connect to internet (WLAN and mobile network)?

Are the accesspoints in Connectivity settings configured correctly? You should have at least one Ap for packet data and one AP for WLAN.

Could you please check if there is any proxy configured? Maybe there is something wrong with proxy.

HandyR, May 9, 2017
  3. BobInOhio Win User
    Problem accessing external hard drive over network

Yes, I connected my external HD when I ran easy fix.

You asked if the network path was showing on my laptop. I'm connecting the external HD to my pc, not my laptop. That's where the problem is occuring (when it's connected to my pc). I'm not sure I understood your question. Perhaps I missed something there.

BobInOhio, May 9, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

What's giving the message WiFi not connected?

Samuria, May 9, 2017
  5. chipwood Win User
    See attachments!

The report is obscure in meaning to me, but it might be useful, Ihope!

chipwood, May 9, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The report is basically saying...
    ...and apparently your connection attempt is never going to complete.

I'd go into Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi > Manage known networks, click on your Billion-8800NL and 'Forget' it. Then set the connection up again from scratch, see if it works this time.

Bree, May 9, 2017
  7. chipwood Win User
    Will do tomorrow, as out this evening. how can I get rid of the other listed routers, please?

chipwood, May 9, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

You can't. It shows a list of all routers that are around you. Those are your neighbours' routers.

Bree, May 9, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    And if they have a padlock or are Secured you can't connect to them without their password.

Berton, May 9, 2017
  10. chipwood Win User
    The ensuing tale is contained in the PDF below.long post wifi connnection problem.compressed.pdf

chipwood, May 10, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Something doesn't add up here.

In the attachment to post #3 the SSID of your router is shown as Billion-8800NL but post#8's pdf you show the properties of a connection called G******L (presumably one you have connected to elsewhere). This connection, or any others you use when away from home, is not relevant to your problem.

Your connection status shows you are connected to the internet by your Ethernet cable in the first screenshot, and connected by Ethernet with no internet access in the last screenshot.

If you have not already done so, in the WiFi 'manage known networks' forget the connection for Billion-8800NL. The Ethernet connection is confusing the issue. For now, disconnect the Ethernet cable. Now make sure you have your router's security key to hand and try to connect to Billion-8800NL. If you do not have the key, try to connect and when asked for it press the WPS button on your router.

12. chipwood Win User
    I disconnected the Ethernet cable as asked, and forgot the G******L . I have created a new Billion 8800NL wireless connection, which ATM is working. *Smile.
    I had wondered about the Ethernet cable between router and computer, thinking it was maybe needed to support Ethernet over powerline adapters to my Freesat box. Seems it isn't. I hope that's so, as (OT) I shall shortly be connecting a replacement Freesat box.

Just in case it might still show anything odd. A diagnostic report is attached.

chipwood, May 10, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Glad it seems to be working now.

When I had Anniversary Update 1607 on my PC, inserting an Ethernet cable to my router would disconnect the WiFi connection. The WiFi would automatically reconnect when the Ethernet was disconnected. There was no way to reconnect the WiFi while the Ethernet was connected.

Now I'm on Creators Update 1703 the WiFi still disconnects when I plug the cable in, but I can now manually reconnect the WiFi and have both in use at the same time - not that that gives me any speed advantage, the WiFi on its own is capable of faster speeds than my broadband can deliver.

14. chipwood Win User
    Ah! The wonders of Windows 10!*Zip Thanks for the help.*Thumbs

chipwood, May 11, 2017
  15. sandisk Win User
    Hi,
    For DELL computers, wifi usage,when cable is connected, You can manage in BIOS under Power Management > Wireless radio control.

sandisk, May 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Network Connections....something not understood - Similar Threads - Network Connections something

2. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Something is interfering with network connection: I feel like something is interfering with my PC's network connection. I have Verizon FiOS, so I have plenty of bandwidth 700 Mbps, yet my streaming HBO, FiOS keeps stalling and buffering. Some web pages load slowly. Also, after booting and waking, it takes about a full minute...
  3. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something is interfering with network connection: I feel like something is interfering with my PC's network connection. I have Verizon FiOS, so I have plenty of bandwidth 700 Mbps, yet my streaming HBO, FiOS keeps stalling and buffering. Some web pages load slowly. Also, after booting and waking, it takes about a full minute...
  4. Something is interfering with network connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  6. Network Blocked Or something

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Blocked Or something: When i try updating my pc i get the messages "Windows couldn't connect you to the update service, please try connecting an internet" and i have a full working internet. Alot of websites give me the same message "The connection is reset" and i cant go on the website. I cant...
  7. Network Blocked Or something

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Blocked Or something: When i try updating my pc i get the messages "Windows couldn't connect you to the update service, please try connecting an internet" and i have a full working internet. Alot of websites give me the same message "The connection is reset" and i cant go on the website. I cant...
  8. Network Blocked Or something

9. Network not connecting or something

Network not connecting or something: So this is a complex question, mostly about network passwords( and I am a dummy about networks) : I had a 'professional' (owner of a computer shop) install a network between three computers--two win 10 pro desktops and a win 10pro laptop. The laptop and one of the desktops...
  10. iniFilename Not Understood. Meaning Of, Please ?

in Windows 10 Support
    iniFilename Not Understood. Meaning Of, Please ?: Hello, Downloaded a programming program, Just Basic, and get the following error msg.: Warning: Runtime Error. "iniFilename" not understood. What does this mean, or signify, please ? Thanks, Bob 44368