Windows 10: Network copying slows down entire system

Discus and support Network copying slows down entire system in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Been trying to copy 50gb from my synology to a USB hd disk. This causes the entire system to not respond well.. If I hit the pause button on the copy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Seb28, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Seb28 Win User

Network copying slows down entire system

Been trying to copy 50gb from my synology to a USB hd disk.
    This causes the entire system to not respond well.. If I hit the pause button on the copy window everything works again perfectly.
    So I tested to a local Hard Drive.. Same copy movement. No issues then.
    So the problem is clearly the copying to USB. But is there a way around this.. The computer is becoming unsuable when copying to USB disk. While win 8.1 pro, same computer, same copy movement has no issues at all..
    It is only in Windows 10 that this phenomenon happens..
    Any ideas anyone?

:)

Seb28, Aug 2, 2015
  2. Milly_36 Win User

Edge - slow

I have recently changed from firefox to edge on a Windows 10 PC.

After an hour or so with only three tabs open it just starts taking over the system resource - 1000 -2000 MB of ram - up from 32% - 92% and slowing down my entire PC and any apps open including MS Word.

Not very impressed.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

Milly_36, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Scheduling of Windows updates on a slow network?

I have a slow internet connection, 0.8Mb on a good day. One thing that Microsoft don't seem to appreciate is that not everyone is connected to a high speed network.

When Windows needs an update it starts downloading as and when it suits Windows, not me. As soon as an update download starts, that's my entire network running like cold tar for the next xxx hours, not just slowing down my computer, but everything else on
    my network.

Is it not high time Microsoft implemented a download scheduler for updates? I know I can schedule when to install and restart, and I know I can set my network to 'metered' to prevent updates downloading, but neither of these are practical or sensible.

Is there any way of downloading updates outside of the automatic update system, and then installing them when it suits me? Is there a sensible option for scheduling when Windows will download updates?

Thanks in advance.

ShaunDolphin, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

I get the implication you are dual-booting the computer with Win 8.1 and Win10. Is that correct?

Berton, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Seb28 Win User
    I have taken an image of both installs..
    My install win 8.1 pro on my machine works flawlessly.. no issues here..
    Same install Win 10 gives me those problems.. What's weird is that it is - for the moment - the only problem I encountered. But as I mentioned.. it is a big one.. If copying to a USB drive causes such a down throttle on the system that its unworkable.. thats a nono for me.

Seb28, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network copying slows down entire system - Similar Threads - Network copying slows

2. Speedtest slows down my entire pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speedtest slows down my entire pc: when i run speedtest through the browser and the app,my entire pc slow down and my mouse pointer moves very slowand when i run speedtest while running any other app that has sound ,the sound glitches/stutters .why?my pc specs:i7 4600Ugpu :nvidia gefore GT 720m8gb ram500gb hdd...
  3. Speedtest slows down my entire pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speedtest slows down my entire pc: when i run speedtest through the browser and the app,my entire pc slow down and my mouse pointer moves very slowand when i run speedtest while running any other app that has sound ,the sound glitches/stutters .why?my pc specs:i7 4600Ugpu :nvidia gefore GT 720m8gb ram500gb hdd...
  4. Speedtest slows down my entire pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Entire PC Operating System Copy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Entire PC Operating System Copy: Hi Everyone, I want to start a discussion on the topic of Backing up or Saving a PC Personal Computer I would like to think I'm above average when it comes to knowledge of how to copy, paste, clone, backup, things of that nature with windows or assisted by another...
  6. Xbox App Slows Down Entire PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox App Slows Down Entire PC: So I've been using Game Pass on Windows 10, and I've had to use the Xbox app. Whenever I am downloading something from the Xbox app, everything on my computer slows to a crawl. Web browser, other game launchers, even the Xbox app itself is affected. Is there a solution to...
  7. System slow down

System slow down: I experienced a series of BSOD on startup and shutdown and it took me a couple of days to find the cause and fix. However, now that I am not getting BSOD, my system is extremely sluggish. It is like if a huge process is constantly running in the background. Even pulling Task...
  8. Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO

Bitlocker encryption stuck and it seems to slow down entire system IO: I have multiple disks on my Windows 10 PC. I did BitLocker encryption on g: yesterday and it stuck at 94.8%. After rebooting I can unlock the drive, encryption resumed at 94.8%, but any access to folder or file is very slow. When I watch task manager, there is no...
  9. Explorer CPU usage at 100%, slowing entire system down [details in text]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer CPU usage at 100%, slowing entire system down [details in text]: I am having major issues with Windows Explorer since the last Win 10 update. I have been trying to transfer contents of folders that a few hundred/thousand picture files. These are small in size and under 200k. Picking up and dragging the folder use to take about 2 minutes...
  10. System slow down

System slow down: Ever since the Oct 9 v1803 update I have been experiencing a slow down in several areas. Windows apps like Microsoft News and Mail load extremely slow. The Amazon Shopping extension in Edge stopped working. Edge itself is almost worthless. Pages load very slowly and then...