Windows 10: Network Discovery not finding computers consistently

Discus and support Network Discovery not finding computers consistently in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Small business with 2 Windows 10 and 2 WIndows 7 systems. Also a server running 2012sbs. From the Windows 10 systems, when we click on Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bradyg23, Sep 18, 2017.

1. bradyg23 Win User

Network Discovery not finding computers consistently

Small business with 2 Windows 10 and 2 WIndows 7 systems. Also a server running 2012sbs.

From the Windows 10 systems, when we click on Windows Explorer, and then Network, the server sometimes shows up and sometimes doesn't on one system, and NEVER shows up on the other. Both are configured identically, best I can tell. One system shows all systems after a while, the other never shows anything but itself and the other Windows 10 system.

Any ideas what I can check?
    Many thanks,
    Brady

:)

bradyg23, Sep 18, 2017
  2. OzMirage Win User

Network Discovery Error

After the latest update, Network Discovery is not consistent. Only two computers show in the work group for most of the Win 10 computers. However, one computer does show all six computers in the work group. They have identical network discovery and file
    sharing turned on.

This inconsistent behavior prevents mapping network drives.

I've rebooted all affected computers.

No change.

OzMirage, Sep 18, 2017
  3. After recent update...why can't I see all my computers on my network anymore?

Possible that the network discovery on your computer was turned off after installing the Windows update. Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can find other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers
    on the network can find your computer. To assist you further, we suggest that you check if the network discovery on your computer was turned on.

If network discovery was turned off, you may turn on the network discovery by following the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Click on the Network and Sharing Center icon.
    • Expand Private network profile for the one you want to turn on network discovery.
    • Click on Save changes.
    • Select Turn on network discovery and click on Save changes.

After following the steps, check if you will be able to see all computers on your network.

Let us know the outcome and if you need further help.

Stephanie Sal, Sep 18, 2017
Thema:

Network Discovery not finding computers consistently

1. Network Discovery not finding computers consistently - Similar Threads - Network Discovery finding

2. Network discovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network discovery: I am using Windows 10. I have set up a disk drive on the Wi-Fi router, but I cannot see it on Windows file explorer under Network. Even though I turn on network discovery, I still cannot see my network devices. Please help! Thank you so much.b...
  3. Windows 10 network discovery does not find computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 network discovery does not find computers: I have a home network with a Desktop PC, a laptop, and an NAS disk drive all connecter by wired ethernet. The laptop and the PC both run Windows 10 and it is up to date on both. When I click on the Network line in File Explorer on the PC it shows all the connected devices in...
  4. Network Discovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Discovery: I have a server running windows server 2008 r2 and the network discovery is on. On why windows 10 pc I don't see it. I can see my windows 10 machine on the server-side but not the other way. Any solutions, or suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. submitted by...
  5. Network Discovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Discovery: Hi I wanted to know more about network discovery and can someone view files when turned on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-discovery/fe481712-64da-43d8-94af-2b05f88c1d13
  6. network discovery

network discovery: I am trying to add a printer connected to another PC, both win10Pro although I can see the other pc when I try to connect the printer get a message saying contact network admin for permissions. Pc #2 has been shared, same with printer, files and sharing activated, I read...
  7. New computer network discovery problem

New computer network discovery problem: I have a wireless home network that involves a desktop running Windows 7 and 2 laptops running Windows 10 Home, version 10.0 18362 Build 18362. Everything works good between these 3 computers. I have tried to add a 3rd Laptop, also running Windows 10, and there is where my...
  8. Network Discovery.

Network Discovery.: Network Discovery. I added a USB memory stick to my router (as suggested by Computer Active) I tried to access it from my laptop by trying \\192.168.1.1 (My router default gateway) as suggested in the article. It came back with Network Discovery must be switched on - - - - -...
  9. Network discovery - Windows computers missing

Network discovery - Windows computers missing: I know this question has been asked (and answered) many times but I'm still confused. I understand that some kind of discovery process that Windows used to local other Windows devices on a LAN depended on SMB 1 and that is disabled by default in Win10. And that is fine with...
  10. Computer Not Showing Up in Network Discovery

Computer Not Showing Up in Network Discovery: So, I have had this issue since 1709 and 1803 hasn't fixed the issue. So I have a Mac Pro set up as a server, and on my Surface I can see the shares and access it just fine. But when I go to my Gaming Computer which is all connected to the same network it can't seem to find...