Windows 10: Network discovery turned off after installing a new router

Discus and support Network discovery turned off after installing a new router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This week I upgraded to a new router. While fighting some unexpected connectivity problems I found that network discovery had been turned off on all 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pokeefe0001, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Network discovery turned off after installing a new router

This week I upgraded to a new router. While fighting some unexpected connectivity problems I found that network discovery had been turned off on all 3 of my computers. Should I have anticipated this? I can't think of any reason Windows would care. The 3 computers all got new IP addresses via DHCP, but that can't be the reason. (Can it?)

Does anyone have an explanation for network discovery getting turned off?

:)

pokeefe0001, Oct 28, 2016

2. After recent update...why can't I see all my computers on my network anymore?

Possible that the network discovery on your computer was turned off after installing the Windows update. Network discovery is a network setting that affects whether your computer can find other computers and devices on the network and whether other computers
    on the network can find your computer. To assist you further, we suggest that you check if the network discovery on your computer was turned on.

If network discovery was turned off, you may turn on the network discovery by following the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Click on the Network and Sharing Center icon.
    • Expand Private network profile for the one you want to turn on network discovery.
    • Click on Save changes.
    • Select Turn on network discovery and click on Save changes.

After following the steps, check if you will be able to see all computers on your network.

Let us know the outcome and if you need further help.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 28, 2016
  3. windows 10 won't show available wifi networks

I also have problems after an upgrade to latest windows10 version. The network discovery won't stay. After I check turn on network discovery and save changes it is off when i check to see if it was saved

DanielSundstrom, Oct 28, 2016
  4. Saltgrass Win User

Network discovery turned off after installing a new router

Maybe an update occurred at the same time you changed the router. It will get confused if it thinks it is on a public network and ask to turn on Network Discovery for that network, so be careful.

Saltgrass, Oct 28, 2016
  5. My 2 desktop PCs are never on a public network. My laptop seldom is, but could be. I guess it makes sense for a router change to prompt this change to "public" since the laptop could suddenly be on a public network.

pokeefe0001, Oct 28, 2016
  6. Any idea what Windows uses to determine when to switch to "public"? I want to be able to fix this sooner the next time I do something to cause it. I'm not likely to get a new router again any time soon, but I'm futzing around with my new toy and have no idea what I might do to upset Windows.

pokeefe0001, Oct 30, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Lots of potential causes. I've noticed that major upgrades tend to do this most often, but sometimes, other kinds of "resets" (installing new drivers, installing new networking software, especially VPNs,) can also have an impact. YMMV, as they say on the Internet.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Network discovery turned off after installing a new router

1. Network discovery turned off after installing a new router - Similar Threads - Network discovery turned

2. Network Discovery is turned off...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Discovery is turned off...: One of my mini PC's a Beelink U55 kept getting this error msg stating that the network discovery is turned off, and I would lose connection to my NAS. However when checking network discovery in Advanced sharing settings, it was still turned on. I had researched several...
  3. network discovery is turned off.

network discovery is turned off.: I have the message "network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visable. Please turn on network discovery in Network and sharing Centre". How do I do this?...
  4. network discovery turned off message

in Windows 10 Customization
    network discovery turned off message: Why would I turn ON network discovery? I am sole user of this computer, connected to nothing except a mouse and a printer...no other computer. Surely the smart tv is not included in network discovery settings? The message suddenly popped up a moment ago so would be pleased...
  5. Message received: network discovery turned off

Message received: network discovery turned off: I am the sole user of a single pc, not connected to other pcs. Connected to printer and smart Tv. My pc turned itself on during the night, displayed this message: "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change in Network...
  6. Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When connected in the same network as other devices, you can share the files and settings of your Windows 10 computer with the other connected […] This article Network discovery is turned off and not turning on in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  7. Turn Off Bluetooth Discovery?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn Off Bluetooth Discovery?: Hi, I turned off the bluetooth discoverable option in the bluetooth settings, but I can still discover it tested with my phone. Is there a way to actually disable discovery so other people can't see my laptop? Here are screenshots of my settings: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I...
  8. Network Discovery turning off

Network Discovery turning off: I am a Windows Admin and there is a user who is using a Dell 5530 Laptop running Win10 Pro 10.0.17763. She has access to domain network shared files. When she has the shared files open and the computer locks up, after a length of time and unlocks the computer, the files are...
  9. Turn on Network Discovery on and make PC discoverable off

Turn on Network Discovery on and make PC discoverable off: After my tablet had been updated by the Creator update it ceased to be visible on my laptop in File Explorer under Network. I checked under "Advanced sharing settings" that Network Discovery was turned on, and it was, but I subsequently found that "Make this PC discoverable"...
  10. Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 By default, the first time you connect to a new network (wired or wireless), you will be prompted "Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs...