Windows 10: Network File Sharing - Different Users

Discus and support Network File Sharing - Different Users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to understand the latest W10 ver. 1803 network file sharing, like I've been trying to do with all other Windows versions since Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ebergerly, Jul 20, 2018.

1. ebergerly Win User

Network File Sharing - Different Users

I'm trying to understand the latest W10 ver. 1803 network file sharing, like I've been trying to do with all other Windows versions since Windows began. I think I've boiled it down to a simple question:

There are two networked computers named "BLUE" and "YELLOW". Blue has only one user account named "Carol". Yellow only has one user account, named "Joe".

Joe (on computer YELLOW) only wants Carol, not Everyone, to access some of his folders. Carol doesn't have an account on Joe's computer.

In this situation, is there any way for Carol have full READ/WRITE control over Joe's folders? Or does Joe need to create a user "Carol" on his computer, with the exact same password as Carol's login on her BLUE computer? Or something else?

Thanks

:)

ebergerly, Jul 20, 2018
  2. JMX
    jmx Win User

How to selectively share files via network on different PCs in v1803?

I am having exactly the same problem as Kabigon described. My two computers show up under "Network" in File Explorer. When I click on the other computer it lists the Users (if they have at least one file shared with "Everyone"). But I cannot share a file with a single user. If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate the info.
    Brink, if no one comes up with a Windows 10 network solution I may end up with a NAS.

3. BestSax Win User
    File Sharing

Do you have a handy site I can read regarding file sharing across my home network?

I have a laptop for work that is a part of a different workgroup.

I have 2 desktop computers on the same workgroup. They all have different user names and accounts.

One Desktop (of the 2) is running xp pro, and the other xp home.

I want to be able to file share documents without opening them up to Everyone, and that seems to be the only way I can gain access to the files.

I wanted to make it so that you would need to provide a user name and password that matched the computer you were trying to access the files’ user account. At work, that is what happens when I try to access a network drive because my laptop’s user name is different then what they gave me to access the network. A dialog box appears, I put in my network name and I’m in.

I appreciate your help.

BestSax, Jul 20, 2018
  4. Network File Sharing - Different Users

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

Network File Sharing - Different Users

1. Network File Sharing - Different Users - Similar Threads - Network File Sharing

2. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Network User: Hello! I'm trying to setup a file to be shared specifically between two users on different computers. I know how to share files across a network for everyone, and how to share the file with a user on the same computer. However, how do I get only those two users on different...
  3. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Sharing Network User: Hello! I'm trying to setup a file to be shared specifically between two users on different computers. I know how to share files across a network for everyone, and how to share the file with a user on the same computer. However, how do I get only those two users on different...
  4. File Sharing Network User

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. User folder in network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User folder in network sharing: [ATTACH] Hello, i want to ask, my network folder showing 'Users' and if i delete this folder from Computer Management > Shared Folder > Shares, will it damage the system or user? Thank you....
  6. Network Share in explorer Logging in as different User

Network Share in explorer Logging in as different User: Why can't we use address history bar to reconnect after restart and get user prompt( must type in complete address again) the history link is tied to user and won't allow different user prompt to reappear after restart as it tries to connect as current user and not different...
  7. File Sharing on the network

File Sharing on the network: I want to share files with other specific users on our small LAN (7 PC's). Here is as far as I can get: I navigate to the file I want to share. Right click on the file Select Give access to Choose "Specific people" In Network Access I find my own sign-on is already...
  8. Manage Network Share with Different Credentials

Manage Network Share with Different Credentials: I have the following use-case: I have all my pictures on a Networked Attached Storage (NAS) that supports Windows Sharing. I use Adobe Lightroom to manage my pictures. I want to map a network drive to a drive letter using either READONLY-ACCESS credentials or FULL-ACCESS...
  9. File sharing between users at different locations

File sharing between users at different locations: I would like to share files across different computers with different users. For example, the admin user on Desktop would like to have full control over Laptop and vice versa. I have network discovery and file sharing turned on, the proper services are started, and the...
  10. Can't map a network share with a different user/pass. Just refreshes.

Can't map a network share with a different user/pass. Just refreshes.: First of all, before I tried mapping again, I cleared all of the credential related to my server using the credential manager. I also did "net use * /d" as suggested from the online research that I've done. I also rebooted my computer after all of this. Now, last thing I did...