Windows 10: Network File Sharing Is Not Working - Illustrated

Discus and support Network File Sharing Is Not Working - Illustrated in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; (I wish illustrated better, but I hope these are sufficient.) I have three networked computers, named Dell-NB, Dell-380, Dell-660s. All three were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ARYLIOA, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ARYLIOA Win User

Network File Sharing Is Not Working - Illustrated

(I wish illustrated better, but I hope these are sufficient.)

I have three networked computers, named Dell-NB, Dell-380, Dell-660s. All three were upgraded to W10 from W7. None used a HomeGroup as W7 nor do they now as W10. All indicate “This computer can’t connect to a homegroup” under “change homegroup settings”. All are identified properly and indicate they are part of Workgroup as:

Network File Sharing Is Not Working - Illustrated [​IMG]

Each contains a folder named Program Files – Portable on a partition designated P:. Under W7 I had full access to all three of the folders from any of the computers. Under W10, that has fallen apart.

The puzzle is this: If I am using the Dell-380 or Dell-660s, I can get to the folder on the Dell-NB and to any file in the folder. But from any of the computers (except the host for each folder, of course) I cannot gain access to the folder/files on Dell-380 or Dell-660s. This is especially confusing since I have set all controls, permissions, etc. on all three computers to be the same (?but maybe not?).

Network permissions are what I would call “wide open” with network discovery on, file and printer sharing on, password requirements off, etc. Regardless of how the “HomeGroup connections” option is set, nothing changes. (Note: I do not use passwords on any of the computers for any purpose. )

My only firewall/anti-virus is Windows Defender.

If I try to get to them using a command file or a program I get an error code 5, Access is Denied. From File Explorer I get:

This is from Dell-380 trying to gain access to the folder on Dell-660s. Note how it had no problem with access to the folder on Dell-NB.

Sharing on each looks exactly like this:

You can also see in the lower left that the folders in question on all three computers are visible on the network.

Is it possible this is a “feature” (bug) in W10?

I really can’t help but think I am missing something subtle, but can’t work my way through it. Any ideas where to look?

:)

ARYLIOA, Sep 25, 2015
  2. John Zab Win User

File sharing not working on network

Hi Teresa,

To further assist you with your concern, we recommend you to post your query to our

Microsoft TechNet

Regards.

John Zab, Sep 25, 2015
  3. File sharing not working on network

I have 8 computers connected to a network through a server (Windows Server 2012 R2).

I am trying to share files with a specific computer user only. File sharing is enabled. (It works on a folder that I share with everyone).

I have shared the file, removed the user everyone, and added the user that I wish to share with. Permissions are to share the folder with this user only. The folder is visible over the network however all users, including the ones with permission are told
    they do not have access to the resource. This is ok for 7 of the 8 users, but the 8th one needs access to this folder. What am I missing here.

TeresaAPhillips, Sep 25, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I had similar problems until I did the following on all 3 of my computers runnign Windows 10:

Right click on Network and select Properties.
    Click on Change advanced sharing settings at left.
    Click the down arrow next to All Networks at the bottom.
    Select Turn off password protected sharing.
    Click the Save changes button.

Ztruker, Sep 26, 2015
  5. ARYLIOA Win User
    That was already turned off on all 3 computers. I should have spelled out the settings in the OP but it was awful long already. This is how they are set:
    Private Network: Turn on Network Discovery; Turn on automatic setup.....; Turn on file and printer sharing; Allow Windows to manage......
    Guest or Public Network: Turn on Network Discovery; Turn on file and printer sharing.
    All Networks: Turn on sharing so anyone.....; Use 128 bit encryption.......; Turn off password protected sharing.

What is so confusing is that all 3 worked fine with the W7 setup prior to conversion. I have checked the settings over and over, but still only one, the Dell-NB, seems to actually be sharing its folder. The network obviously "sees" the folder on all the computers but it appears the other two computers are blocking access for some reason. That's why I must be missing something, probably on the way the individual computer's sharing is set up. But so far, I haven't found anything there either.

ARYLIOA, Sep 26, 2015
  6. JOS
    jos Win User
    You are not the only one with sharing issues in W10 that did not exist in W7.
    My W10-pro is not showing our home network where my wife's W10-home still works like in the good old W7-home.
    The internet W10 forums are filled with this behaviour.

7. ARYLIOA Win User
    I had done some research and it seemed that most were conflicts with Home vs. Pro. But mine is a pure W10 Home problem, all running 32-bit OS on 64-bit platforms, and the setup worked in W7. That is why I wondered if it might be a "feature" and as soon as MS comes up with a fix, it will work. (At GM, at least in the early '60s, we called them bugs. In aerospace we always sold them to the (government) customer as features. Later, we would get a contract extension to remove the feature.*Wink)

I sure can't find any problems with my setup, but I am also never confident that I have found everything.

ARYLIOA, Sep 26, 2015
  8. ARYLIOA Win User

A bit of followup:

Network Magic, even the older, pre-Cisco/Linksys, v4.6 which I have kept tucked-away for years, will not run on a W10 OS. RIP (Dang!)

But I did download and run NetBrute Scanner Rawlogic.com and it can even open the files on the other computers. But, being the Brute it is advertised to be, it can see and open just about anything on the other computers whether shared or not.

ipscan24 Advanced IP Scanner - free and easy-to-use network scanner can see the folder but cannot gain access to it. It gets the same error that File Manager gets. It may or may not be interesting that both can get the Properties for the folder but it shows as 0 length. So visible in several ways, but still inaccessible.

In the meantime I have also looked at my firewall settings. I admit I am not an expert, but the file and printer sharing settings look OK to me. The settings for Domain are not enabled, but I presume that is correct since I do not have a domain server. Can anyone confirm that?

ARYLIOA, Sep 26, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    In addition of what you have done. Also check the security tab and make sure there's a user "Everyone" with full permission.

NOTE: If you are not using the Homegroup then it's better to turn it off:

• Control Panel->Homegroup then select "Leave the Home group"

• Open Services and disable "Homegroup Listener" and "Homegroup Provider"

topgundcp, Sep 26, 2015
  10. ARYLIOA Win User
    There it is! I had checked the Security tab, but since it was the same on all 3 computers (SYSTEM, User ID, and Administrator) I figured I was covered, by SYSTEM if nothing else. That still puzzles me as to why one let the others in but two didn't.

I had already disabled all the HomeGroup stuff, too, so adding EVERYONE to the security settings was the answer.

Thanks to all who replied. This forum has been a critical asset to my mental health since installing W10!

ARYLIOA, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Network File Sharing Is Not Working - Illustrated - Similar Threads - Network File Sharing

2. Clipboard is not working with Illustrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clipboard is not working with Illustrator: Ill try to give all the information i can because its gotten more complex.THE BACK STORYI had A.I. 2022 with a plugin called FONTSELF. Worked fine with no issues. Didn't need to do all the running about I'm doing now, to aim to get it working. Ive contacted the creator of...
  3. Clipboard is not working with Illustrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clipboard is not working with Illustrator: Ill try to give all the information i can because its gotten more complex.THE BACK STORYI had A.I. 2022 with a plugin called FONTSELF. Worked fine with no issues. Didn't need to do all the running about I'm doing now, to aim to get it working. Ive contacted the creator of...
  4. Clipboard is not working with Illustrator

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Network / File share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network / File share: I have just about given up trying to share files and folders between computers on my home LAN. I have a desktop PC and a Microsoft Surface, both running fully updated Windows 10. Sometimes, they can see each other in File Explorer under network. Most often they cannot....
  6. File Sharing on the network

File Sharing on the network: I want to share files with other specific users on our small LAN (7 PC's). Here is as far as I can get: I navigate to the file I want to share. Right click on the file Select Give access to Choose "Specific people" In Network Access I find my own sign-on is already...
  7. Network File Sharing

Network File Sharing: I can't figure out how to set up file sharing between my laptop and desktop computers. Turning on file sharing on Control Panel doesn't do it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-file-sharing/86e05328-0426-49dc-9068-bf4fc746f87f
  8. network / file sharing

network / file sharing: Hi I have desktop and 2 laptops running windows 10. Homegroup is not available. I have shared the files / folders I want to use but the laptops/PCs only show up as media devices. I have shared the files exactly as shown on your help pages. All 3 devices can link to...
  9. File sharing doesn't work in a private network

File sharing doesn't work in a private network: Hi, This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and I just can't solve it by myself. I got two Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers connected to a Asus RT-N56U and I try to share files between them. File shng works sometimes (not very often) when I keep restarting...
  10. network file sharing

network file sharing: I apologize if this is not allowed here and will understand if it gets removed. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this. I need this for work. I don't want to have to buy a laptop with Windows just to do this. Thank you everyone. I am...